Panasonic G85 review - is there any need to get an Olympus E-M1 Mark II for video?

Andrew Reid

@jonpais i do agree that it seems like the best value for money right now. By far actually.

I have a completely irrelevant question, and sorry for that, I am just wondering.

I noticed in your tests that you shoot freely people in public, are Eastern Asia people so camera friendly? In Europe people seem to be very sensitive about their image, and "too self-aware"(on a bad way) most of the times.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
21 hours ago, Cary Knoop said:

I would recommend Canon mount glass designed for crop sensor. 

For instance the Sigma Art DC series.

Full frame glass, unless it is high end glass, will only give you extra useless weight and bulk and less resolution!

Almost any lens made after the 1980 has enough resolution to resolve 4K. Thats 8mp from a 16mp sensor

I've just read the review post about the G85, which was very helpful and looks very promising, and I was considering either a GH4 or G80, as my budget will not stretch to the new GH5.  I have loads of Canon glass, so I'm wondering which speed booster I would need? I'm sure I read somewhere that there was a problem with it fitting?  Would I bet better off putting money into speedbooster rather than native Panasonic lens? Any advice much appreciated 

7 minutes ago, mattpitts74 said:

I've just read the review post about the G85, which was very helpful and looks very promising, and I was considering either a GH4 or G80, as my budget will not stretch to the new GH5.  I have loads of Canon glass, so I'm wondering which speed booster I would need? I'm sure I read somewhere that there was a problem with it fitting?  Would I bet better off putting money into speedbooster rather than native Panasonic lens? Any advice much appreciated 

The GH4 is an older generation camera, if I had to chose between them I would go for the G85 (or the GX85 if you want to save some money).

I would be wary of people "recommending" the GH4 as I am sure many current GH4 owners want to sell theirs and buy a GH5!

40 minutes ago, mattpitts74 said:

I have loads of Canon glass, so I'm wondering which speed booster I would need?

I would get the Canon EF Lens to Micro Four Thirds T Speed Booster ULTRA 0.71x.

http://www.metabones.com/products/details/MB_SPEF-M43-BT4

I would stay away from the XL version because future Panasonic cameras (including the GH5) will use more of the MFT sensor for 4k video than before.

48 minutes ago, Cary Knoop said:

I would get the Canon EF Lens to Micro Four Thirds T Speed Booster ULTRA 0.71x.

http://www.metabones.com/products/details/MB_SPEF-M43-BT4

I would stay away from the XL version because future Panasonic cameras (including the GH5) will use more of the MFT sensor for 4k video than before.

If the gh5 does full pixel readout then a speedbooster xl will give us a aps-h crop instead of super 35 with a full frame lens. I don't know about you guys but that sounds pretty damn exciting to me.

30 minutes ago, kidzrevil said:

If the gh5 does full pixel readout then a speedbooster xl will give us a aps-h crop instead of super 35 with a full frame lens. I don't know about you guys but that sounds pretty damn exciting to me.

So the XL would cover the sensor 100% without vignetting?

I guess I was mistaken in thinking the XL should only be used in video mode because until the GH5 there was extra cropping in 4k video mode.

8 hours ago, Kisaha said:

@jonpais i do agree that it seems like the best value for money right now. By far actually.

I have a completely irrelevant question, and sorry for that, I am just wondering.

I noticed in your tests that you shoot freely people in public, are Eastern Asia people so camera friendly? In Europe people seem to be very sensitive about their image, and "too self-aware"(on a bad way) most of the times.

I've been shooting people on the street here for nearly five years now and seldom run into any problems. South Korea, where I lived before moving to Vietnam, was a different story. I had to shoot stealthily with a telephoto lens. ?

4 hours ago, mattpitts74 said:

I own both the G85 and the GH4, and I would strongly recommend avoiding the latter. And I am trying to sell mine! ???

1 hour ago, Stanley said:

@Kidzrevil...Hey mate is there a chance at some stage you might be able to record some 24 fps 1080p, and maybe some 60/50 fps, and give your opinion regarding quality please.

Will do ! I've been meaning to test if that bitrate is any good

The .71x "Ultra" booster is more evenly sharp corner-to-corner, while the .64x "XL" booster is slightly sharper in the middle (GH4 cropped 4K area) but is then softer than the Ultra outside of that. Since I know I'll be getting a GH5 eventually, with no crop in 4K I'd rather have more even sharpness across the frame, rather than a drop-off at the corners.

Even until then, with the G85, I would prefer to have a smidge of wiggle room inside the image circle for the IBIS to work. A touch of vignetting usually doesn't bother me, but I think it might if it was moving in the frame.

Also, with the Sigma 18-35 + XL's image circle being not much bigger than the full sensor, I would worry that IBIS movement might bring "hard" vignetting (the edge of the image circle) into frame occasionally (in 1080p modes), which would definitely be distracting.

Speaking of that, does anyone with the G85 know if the sensor still moves at all with IBIS off? I.e. is it completely locked down or does it still float a little? I will be using a fisheye lens with an undersized image circle, so there will be hard vignetting in frame already, and it would move if the sensor jiggled with fast camera movement.

9 minutes ago, Vesku said:

Has anyone tested properly the dynamic range GH4 vs G85 in low iso? It is very important for cinematic look. In Youtube examples G85 clips much more highlights.

Dynamic range is on par with the GH4. Why do you go on week after week asking these nagging questions? What's your point? Do you have any footage you'd like to share? 

3 minutes ago, jonpais said:

Dynamic range is on par with the GH4. Why do you go on week after week asking these nagging questions? What's your point? Do you have any footage you'd like to share? 

It is not clear to me yet. All examples show that G85 clips highlights more. I wonder if G85 with IBIS is enough for me after GH4 or do I need GH5.

6 minutes ago, jonpais said:

@Vesku The G85 does not clip highlights more. Is greater dynamic range what's holding you back from creating your masterpiece? All you seem interested in is tests. 

Thanks for confirming DR. I shooted some New Year fireworks and night city scenes with my GH4 and it clipped too much bright lights. I dont want to update worse than GH4. Noise was not an issue with GH4 but the dyn range was in that difficult light. 

In Andrews G85 review GH4 has better highlights in iso1600 candle examples. 

@Vesku And I've shared half a dozen lens and camera tests here with the GH4, and what I'm seeing from the G85 is cleaner shadows, improved color, better skin tones, more accurate white balance, the first EVF from Panasonic that I'd call great (I've owned the GM1, the GH3, the GH4, the TMC-900 and the G85), all at a rock-bottom price. IBIS alone is worth the upgrade. The G85 is the perfect vlogging camera. Cinematic look involves much more than dynamic range. If you're primarily interested in shooting candles and fireworks, maybe the micro four thirds system isn't for you. For extreme low light, I'd go with full-frame or an APS-C sensor. The G85 isn't going to make the grade if you're shooting at ISO 3200 all the time. The X-T2 isn't a low-light beast either, but it can take you to ISO 6400. The thing is, if you just shoot dark gray walls with it at ISO 6400, it will look pretty awful - but if you're shooting interesting action with people, nature, whatever, you hardly notice the noise. Professional colorists use tools like Neat Video all the time to clean up noise and throw in some film grain in afterward. And this is speaking as someone who was about to give up entirely on Panasonic and stick with Fuji.