Panasonic G85 review - is there any need to get an Olympus E-M1 Mark II for video?

Andrew Reid

1 hour ago, Stanley said:

Good point. I think his lut developement has been around Cine D settings, and always trying to match the GH4. Sounds like you read his whole thread anyway, but i think his settings and Lemming lut nails it.

I already posted this clip in another thread, but this was shot on G80 with Leeming LUT. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
4 minutes ago, Mackeral_Fillet said:

I already posted this clip in another thread, but this was shot on G80 with Leeming LUT. 

Crushed blacks? Why shoot first with cideD flat profile and then ruin dark tones in post? Standard profile contrast0 makes the same easier.

Here's someone who understands a little something about the language of cinema. At last. But... the colors don't do anything for me at all. I'm going to give the G85 a fair shot, but if it disappoints me, I'm selling all my Panasonic bodies and lenses and switching over to Fuji.

6 minutes ago, jonpais said:

I'd like to see more evidence of 2 stops increase in light sensitivity. What I'm seeing instead from the posted videos is sharper, more contrasty, less film-like footage than the GH4.

I'm not sure but I think what you're seeing (and I agree) is because the image from the GX85/G85 is a little brighter than the GH4. Skin tones look a lot better if you underexpose just a little with these cameras. 

I wouldn't say it's fully 2 stops cleaner, but somewhere in between. Not the best subject but have you seen this video I made? If you look at the comparison at the end you can see that the GH4 indeed has a nicer image and the GX85 is a little brighter with the same settings, lighting and lens. Color is different though but the same WB settings on both cameras. 

Hopefully Cinelike D on your G85 makes look a little better for you than the standard/natural profile. 

1 hour ago, Fredrik Lyhne said:

I'm not sure but I think what you're seeing (and I agree) is because the image from the GX85/G85 is a little brighter than the GH4. Skin tones look a lot better if you underexpose just a little with these cameras. 

I wouldn't say it's fully 2 stops cleaner, but somewhere in between. Not the best subject but have you seen this video I made? If you look at the comparison at the end you can see that the GH4 indeed has a nicer image and the GX85 is a little brighter with the same settings, lighting and lens. Color is different though but the same WB settings on both cameras. 

Hopefully Cinelike D on your G85 makes look a little better for you than the standard/natural profile. 

Fredrik, great test but there is a problem with your comparison.

You are actually clipping the highlights in the GX85 scenes.  The GX85 provides video levels but does use out of range values for overhead.  So in your NLE or color grading application you need to bring the out of range values into legal to compare the shots.  If you keep out of range values then a lot of setups will clip the highlights because they expand limited to full range.

Here is the waveform before and after bringing the highlights into legal range.

compare.jpg

The 100% values on the left are from the titles but notice there is more highlight information above it.  The right side has brought the highlights into legal range and obviously the titles are now too low.  For indoor it is not really an issue but if you make a video outside in bright lights the out of range highlights contain valuable information that you should not discard.

1 hour ago, Kingswell said:

Has anyone tried using a BMCC speed booster on it? 

On 13-12-2016 at 3:21 PM, Andrew Reid said:

It's not designed to work and when I tried it on the other Panasonic cameras it gave a lopsided image which was soft on one side and sharp on the other.

So even the glass doesn't press on the shutter or risk damaging the camera, it's hardly worth trying any way.

Better to use the XL!

~ http://www.eoshd.com/comments/topic/21232-gx85-bmpcc-speed-booster/

7 hours ago, Cary Knoop said:

You are actually clipping the highlights in the GX85 scenes.  The GX85 provides video levels but does use out of range values for overhead.  So in your NLE or color grading application you need to bring the out of range values into legal to compare the shots.  If you keep out of range values then a lot of setups will clip the highlights because they expand limited to full range.

compare.jpg

The 100% values on the left are from the titles but notice there is more highlight information above it.  The right side has brought the highlights into legal range and obviously the titles are now too low.  For indoor it is not really an issue but if you make a video outside in bright lights the out of range highlights contain valuable information that you should not discard.

I made a small tutorial on how to fix this in Premiere Pro for the GX80 / GX85, see the following posting:

I have a BMCC booster on my GH4 (I got a good deal on it and the XL wasn't out at the time). It presses on the shutter housing, which inhibits the shutter's motion. As a result I can't shoot photos with it, or manually white balance with it. I've been planning to sell it off and get the XL, as that's the same "strength" but clears the GH4 shutter, but with the GH5 having full-sensor 4K and IBIS, I think I'm going to get an Ultra instead.

This of course isn't a direct answer to what the BMCC booster will be like on the G85, sorry. But personally I wouldn't risk it.

Something else to consider is that the BMCC and BMPCC boosters have optical designs meant for Blackmagic's much thinner sensor glass. Panny and Olympus m4/3 cameras have more than twice the glass thickness over the sensor, and the XL and other m4/3 boosters are designed for this.

17 hours ago, Cary Knoop said:

compare.jpg

I don't get what you mean Cary, the only thing clipping is the tiny reflection on the top of the marble? Doesn't matter in an ISO test does it? 

I only posted this so @jonpais could see the difference in exposure between the GH4 and GX85. In my experience skin tones and highlights look a lot better when underexposing with these cameras and that could be why he thinks the image from GX85/G85 look less "filmic".

GX85 is nr. 1 and GH4 is nr. 2

Skjermbilde 2016-12-22 kl. 10.40.16.pngSkjermbilde 2016-12-22 kl. 10.45.47.png