Panasonic G85 review - is there any need to get an Olympus E-M1 Mark II for video?

Andrew Reid

8 hours ago, liork said:

iDynamic introduce artificial processing to the image. you can see for yourself in stills that highlights are worse. Show us a fair comparison from raw, not this.

What do you mean from raw? It's screenshot of video test. I don't think the GX85 "clips" more than the GH4 but it does do a roll off which makes it look as if it does, even when it isn't.  The other point I might make is the two cameras were set up the same (with exception of idynamic mistake) for the purpose of comparing stabilisation. The problem of the highlights would need a slightly different approach as the GX85 is noticeably brighter - it crops much less and gets more light. So to bring the overall brightness of the images closer something else would have to change, like running GH4 at 400 iso and the GX85 at 200 or 300 (don't know if you can do that). I prefer the GH4 highlight rolloff but can't beat the better low light and ibis of gx85.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
9 minutes ago, Stanley said:

What took you so long to answer!! Thanks Cary, good to know. But I presume the IBIS would handle it ok.

IBIS works fine but obviously the higher the focal length the harder it gets. 

I have been able to get decent results handheld with a 135mm non OIS manual lens with a Mitakon Zhongi II:

(You have to watch it on YouTube instead of using a hotlink because the copyright owner of the audio track is allowing their content to be used in my video only on the YouTube site).

4 minutes ago, Cary Knoop said:

IBIS works fine but obviously the higher the focal length the harder it gets. 

I have been able to get decent results handheld with a 135mm non OIS manual lens with a Mitakon Zhongi II:

Cool, works a treat. I'm surprised at how stable the horizontal is. You posted a video last week of some hand held 100-400 shots and I was skeptical at first because of how good the horizontal was.But I'm seeing some amazing long lens work all showing great horizontal stability....I'm not so skeptical now. Thanks

8 hours ago, Orangenz said:

What do you mean from raw? It's screenshot of video test. I don't think the GX85 "clips" more than the GH4 but it does do a roll off which makes it look as if it does, even when it isn't.  The other point I might make is the two cameras were set up the same (with exception of idynamic mistake) for the purpose of comparing stabilisation. The problem of the highlights would need a slightly different approach as the GX85 is noticeably brighter - it crops much less and gets more light. So to bring the overall brightness of the images closer something else would have to change, like running GH4 at 400 iso and the GX85 at 200 or 300 (don't know if you can do that). I prefer the GH4 highlight rolloff but can't beat the better low light and ibis of gx85.

GX85 has brighter highlights but darker shadows at the same time. The crop difference and down sampling is not affecting image brightness, it reduces noise. In your examples GX85 is darker than GH4 at same iso and still clips highlights. 

Does the G85 has the same sensor as GX85?

By the way did Andrew mention that G85 AF is very slow in 4k mode, much slower than in GH4.

22 hours ago, Vesku said:

I mean the maximum dyn range using iso200-iso400. If the G85 has the same sensor than G85 the GH4 has flatter image in default settings than G85 with idynamic standard.

GX85 (G85) vs GH4 at iso400. GH4 Natural and GX85 Natural+idynamic standard. GH4 is still flatter.

gx85-GH4.jpg

Please everyone. This is about a third of a stop difference. Really not worth arguing about. It could be explained by all sorts of things. Difference in lens transmission, camera settings, picture profile differences, etc. Either way, a third of a stop shouldn't affect your buying decision. 

Leeming posted in the Facebook group for the LUT that he had gotten ahold of some G85 footage, and that for the purposes of the LUT it was the same, and to use the existing G7/GH4 LUT.

Which makes me skeptical of either people's claims of the newer cameras having better color, or of his testing methodology. I don't see how both can be true (new different color science and the same LUT giving identical results).

1 hour ago, Vesku said:

GX85 has brighter highlights but darker shadows at the same time. The crop difference and down sampling is not affecting image brightness, it reduces noise. In your examples GX85 is darker than GH4 at same iso and still clips highlights. 

Does the G85 has the same sensor as GX85?

By the way did Andrew mention that G85 AF is very slow in 4k mode, much slower than in GH4.

The GH4 AF is very fast, yes. You are incorrect on both the effect of the crop difference and brightness of the GX85 shots. You're on the wrong track with the "clips the highlights", I set levels on the basis of highlight limit - not general scene exposure. 

2 minutes ago, Orangenz said:

The GH4 AF is very fast, yes. You are incorrect on both the effect of the crop difference and brightness of the GX85 shots. You're on the wrong track with the "clips the highlights", I set levels on the basis of highlight limit - not general scene exposure. 

I only have GH4 and I have watched some comparisons. I have considered getting a new IBIS Panasonic but if the dyn range in new models is worse than in GH4 I must get a GH5. Dyn range is very important to me. Even GH4 is far from what my eyes sees.

1 hour ago, aldolega said:

Leeming posted in the Facebook group for the LUT that he had gotten ahold of some G85 footage, and that for the purposes of the LUT it was the same, and to use the existing G7/GH4 LUT.

Which makes me skeptical of either people's claims of the newer cameras having better color, or of his testing methodology. I don't see how both can be true (new different color science and the same LUT giving identical results).

Good point. I think his lut developement has been around Cine D settings, and always trying to match the GH4. Sounds like you read his whole thread anyway, but i think his settings and Lemming lut nails it.

1 hour ago, aldolega said:

I find it a bit funny that you find DR super important, yet rely on auto-exposure modes.

Auto exposure is the best way to optimize dynamic range. It wont let highlights to clip like with manual exposure if not being very careful.

CLEAN HDMI OUT HELP, this is an area I have been struggling to research on the internet, so am hoping somebody might be able to help, and excuse any stupid questions. I have a GX85 assume the G80 will be the same. I can capture clean HDMI out from the camera into an intensity 4k card using media express (1080p 50 AVI 8bit YUV) on my workstation.

Question1 , is there a difference between capturing whilst recording in camera or just capturing when the camera is on but not on record? . My initial testing did not show much difference in quality comnpared to 1080p 50 captured on the card,  both graded a little and and exported as 12mb/s h264 files). 

Question 2, is that the best codec (I could choose 10bit, but apparently the camera only outputs 8bit)

Question 3:  I am using 1080p because the eventually footage needs to be slowed down by half, is this still better than capturing in 4k and slowing by half in post

one thing i noticed, when recording to card and hdmi out, the camera screen is black, however I could still monitor using the imageapp on an ipad