Panasonic G85 review - is there any need to get an Olympus E-M1 Mark II for video?

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

g85-canon-24-70.jpg

Micro Four Thirds is increasingly going up-market and into pro territory, but unfortunately new Panasonic and Olympus cameras are getting more and more expensive by the day.

Thankfully the G85 is a pro camera without a pro price - it represents a genuine advance over the Panasonic GH4 with cleaner low light performance and better automatic white balance.

Read the full review!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Nice review, but it really could use an ad or two...

But seriously, I've had the GX85 since August and since then I have tested a few cameras and think I am going to sell it... I haven't yet. If I don't get along with the a6300, maybe I'll just do an upgrade from the GX85 to the G85...

Do you have any recommended profile settings for the G85?

• Administrators
9 minutes ago, mercer said:

Nice review, but it really could use an ad or two...

But seriously, I've had the GX85 since August and since then I have tested a few cameras and think I am going to sell it... I haven't yet. If I don't get along with the a6300, maybe I'll just do an upgrade from the GX85 to the G85...

I upgraded from the GX85 to G85 and don't regret it... it's like a 4K Olympus body with better screen.

Practically an E-M1 II without the price tag.

GX85 was good to begin with and a total bargain... This is even better.

9 minutes ago, mercer said:

Do you have any recommended profile settings for the G85?

Watch this space :)

8 minutes ago, Eno said:

I wander how does the new Rode stereo video mic X sound compared to the pro version, any insights?

Video Mic Pro is a mono shotgun mic so you point it in a certain direction and it captures what's in front of it, but little else.

The Rode Mic X is stereo X/Y to broadcast performance levels, very impressed with the build quality too, the main purpose for me is capturing immersive stereo ambience. Dialogue on a boom mic and everything else on the X.

As well as the 3.5mm output it has two mini XLR jacks as well with phantom power!

@Andrew Reid, sorry I was referring about Rode stereo video mic pro vs stereo video mic X. I own two pro versions and contemplating the upgrade but the cost difference it's huge. I was wandering if the difference in sound quality is worth the price or not...

@Andrew Reid  Re: "AF works quite well with Canon glass"

Would love to see an AF comparison between the G85 w/ Canon glass, A6500 w/ native Sony glass and 1DX  II w/ Canon glass as well low light and rolling shutter...

But for now, does the G85 with adapted Canon glass compete with the A6500 with native Sony glass regarding AF?  If so, with with what adapter?

Thanks!

Mark

I see and agree with a lot of your points from a spec based perspective, especially in comparison to the new em5. Over the gh4 it certainly seems to have cleaner high iso (and on mirrorless who doesn't want some of that) but I shoot on a gh4 for everything and the little tank really has it all. I think from a more hobby perspective focused on -image quality- this g85 really is a nice deal for the cost but you can get a gh4 around the same price (I mean less really if you wait around for used) and that battery, headphone jack monitoring, in camera slo-mo.. I think for a working filmmaker those features are worth more in terms of filmmaking tools. Just my 2c, thanks for the post Andrew.

I just bought the G85 in Malaysia for a little over $725.00 USD, I guess because the Malaysian ringgit is currently at a historic low. A super bargain! I didn't bring any lenses for u4/3 with me, so I won't be able to shoot with it till I return to Vietnam on 30/1. ? I only had the chance to hold the body, and I much prefer the smaller form factor to my GH4. I imagine not many G80 owners will be willing to shell out $1,600.00 for the Nocticron, but I can assure you that if you do, you won't regret it. It has inceredible rendering and the bokeh is unbelievable. It is also one of the best built lenses in the u4/3 system. 

15 hours ago, Vesku said:

Pros: "Very much improved image quality compared to the GH4...."

GH4 has better dynamic range, less moire and less rolling shutter. I think the the only real improvement is less noise in high iso and that is partly made by softening details.

So, what's the relationship between dynamic range and low light sensitivity? If ISO 800 is the highest I would shoot with the GH4 and people are saying the G80 can shoot 3200, does that mean it has higher dynamic range as well? Or does it mean it just has less noise in the shadows, but no more gradations between white and black?

22 minutes ago, jonpais said:

So, what's the relationship between dynamic range and low light sensitivity? If ISO 800 is the highest I would shoot with the GH4 and people are saying the G80 can shoot 3200, does that mean it has higher dynamic range as well? Or does it mean it just has less noise in the shadows, but no more gradations between white and black?

I mean the maximum dyn range using iso200-iso400. If the G85 has the same sensor than G85 the GH4 has flatter image in default settings than G85 with idynamic standard.

GX85 (G85) vs GH4 at iso400. GH4 Natural and GX85 Natural+idynamic standard. GH4 is still flatter.

gx85-GH4.jpg

Just now, Vesku said:

You have GH4 and G85. Can you test dyn range and maybe other things too?

Believe me, I want to, but I just bought the G85 w/out lens, I'm in Malaysia, and I won't be returning to Vietnam until the 30th of December. Right now, all I've got is the X-T2, no stabilizer, no tripod. ?