Sony E-mount Lens Recommendations

Oliver Daniel

Today I decided to say "fuck it" and invest completely into my FS5 and be gone with my other cameras. 

So I'll be "stuck" with Sony, as I want to get rid of all my EF lenses for native lenses for peak performance. 

I only have 1 E-mount lens: the 18-105 f4. It's alrite. 

I'm looking at only a handful (it would need to be an oversized, mutant hand) lenses on this criteria: 

1. F2.8 aperture minimum, constant. 

2. Covering wide to telephoto. 

3. Electronic with autofocus (for stills too on the A6300500700900). 

4. Ideally OSS. 

5. Nice enough manual focus ring (not that 24-70 f4 style fly by wire awfulness). 

Hit me! (appreciated). 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Geoff CB has used the 24-70 G-master. I only have the following lenses:

28mm f2, 16-35 f4, 55 f1.8, 70-200 f4

If I had the money 'to burn' I would sell all but the 55mm and splash out on their superiors (Sigma Art, G-master, Batis).

Having said that, I would have been tempted to chuck the A7Sii on eBay and purchase the 1DXmk2 :)

2 hours ago, Oliver Daniel said:

5. Nice enough manual focus ring (not that 24-70 f4 style fly by wire awfulness).

In that case, I'm afraid Sony lenses won't do... though there are focus-by-wire lenses that almost replicate mechanical behaviour, most of them are awful in that regard -the 28-135 f4 PZ is sooo horrible!!!-. I haven't tried it myself but I understand the new 18-110 f4 has a great manual focus feel, it's a pity the lens itself is big, expensive and slow making it as unattractive as it gets.

The 16mm f2.8 is ok as a gimbal lens, decent enough autofocus and minimal footprint (it's a pancake lens).

Other than that, I stick to adapted lenses for the FS7 and FS5, mostly Zeiss CP with a PL adapter -controlled shoots- and Canon zooms with metabones speedboosters.

15 minutes ago, mercer said:

Yeah with your Canon lenses, and interest in the 1DXii, I was kinda hoping to see what you could do with it.

Yep, I got the hunch that my FS5, or a new 1DX II wouldn't be able to breathe together, given the sheer cost and differences. 

I'm going to keep my EF lenses and do bits of photography on the 80d. Don't need more than that for stills. I could get an A6300/500 - not overly keen on Sony for stills though.

Selling my DJI X5R and Osmo if anyone wants it btw! ;) 

I have 3 native Sony lenses that I use: 24-70 2.8, 35 1.4 and the 24 1.8.  Unless it was in a low light situation, I would start and probably finish shooting with the 24-70. The image is solid and cinematic, it has weight and dimension. I looks great wide open at 2.8. I like having the ability to zoom for emphasis or necessity.  I would start with this 24-70 G Master and then when the A7S III comes out next year - your full frame,  low light, b-camera needs will be met when you buy one and stick the 24-70 GM on it.

• Super Members

Are you using the Sigma MC-11 adapter on your FS5 Daniel?

Using one of those and hoovering up some mint used Art lenses in EF mount might give you some different options and retain double duty on your 80D?

They're more economical with the light as well as the money in the main too versus native equivalents.

20 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

Are you using the Sigma MC-11 adapter on your FS5 Daniel?

Using one of those and hoovering up some mint used Art lenses in EF mount might give you some different options and retain double duty on your 80D?

They're more economical with the light as well as the money in the main too versus native equivalents.

I do have the MC-11 adapter and an A6500 arriving in two days.