Canon sponsored content on DPReview

Andrew Reid

On 12/28/2016 at 3:22 AM, Tim Sewell said:

FWIW my prediction is that within a couple of decades we'll either have less than half the current number of manufacturers, or a similar number, but less than half their current sizes/values. Without the cash engine of a large consumer camera market we'll also see a relative rise in prices of the kind of cameras we want as fewer sales have to support the same level of R&D and tooling.

Decades, how about a few years. I just don't see Nikon, Pentax making it past 3 or 4 years being in the market at all. Nikon is just going to come out next year with the same old updated D750, D810 specs wise that Sony and Canon had 2 years ago. They will be better than the older stuff but not super better. They are not going to be a market leader in Video. And that is where it is at right now, Video. Are they going to have class leading WiFi, GPS I doubt it. So what are they bringing to the table to swing new people to buy their stuff, let alone keep what they got. Nikon company is mostly a camera business, not too much else to make money on. Yeah Steppers and Binoculars, spotting scopes, etc. Someone like Sony may buy them out but..

Pentax is still in the last decade. Other than the K1 they have nothing new. And as good a camera the K1 is price wise they have no used lenses that work with it well, and the new ones cost more than the body each that anyone wants. So it is no runaway success. Does anyone even think of Pentax and Video as going together?? Not many people I would expect do.

I see Canon, Sony, Fuji and the Oly, Panny duo in that order as the only real survivors in the long run as traditional camera company's that will make it.  Sigma probably will not be there either. Lens wise probably, camera I doubt. Smartphones have just killed camera company's and it will be worse as time goes on.

Other than on this website, or DPR, few other sites, or big time Movie makers most other people could care less about Photo Cameras and great Video Cameras. Cellphones is all they ever need. That does not leave a awful lot of people left to buy high end stuff. High end stuff being over say $750.00.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs