How robust is a camera's hot shoe?

jase

The title says it all. I have now a Sigma 18-35 mounted on my GX80 and am wondering, how robust the hotshoe is, since the whole combo now weights around 1,4kg. Should I invest in a cage? I dont like the idea seeing my camera & lens dropping on the ground because of the hotshoe...

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
4 hours ago, mercer said:

But... if you're gonna go and do all that... you may want to consider selling the GX80 and getting the G85.

I dont get that part. What does rigging with a smallcage has to do with upgrading from GX80 to G85? Not that I would not like to, due to the mic in, but I dont see any connection...?

6 minutes ago, jase said:

I dont get that part. What does rigging with a smallcage has to do with upgrading from GX80 to G85? Not that I would not like to, due to the mic in, but I dont see any connection...?

Because you're taking a small camera that's main benefit is that it's a small camera and putting a heavy huge lens on the end of it and then wrapping a cage around it... it's going to be as big as a 5d by the time you're done rigging the thing... so at that point, you may as well get a g80.

Just now, mercer said:

Because you're taking a small camera that's main benefit is that it's a small camera and putting a heavy huge lens on the end of it and then wrapping a cage around it... it's going to be as big as a 5d by the time you're done rigging the thing... so at that point, you may as well get a g80.

Yes, I got that part. But still, I would have to put the same rig onto the G80 as well, that why I dont see what changing to the G80 will change about that?

8 minutes ago, jase said:

Yes, I got that part. But still, I would have to put the same rig onto the G80 as well, that why I dont see what changing to the G80 will change about that?

Well...

1. Your Sigma will be more balanced on the G80.

2. You have a few more video options.

3. You already mentioned an external microphone port.

4. I assume since the G80 is a bigger, heavier camera, the 5-axis must be tuned more to its size and weight, so the jump in weight you want to add, the G80, theoretically, will handle better.

If you're mounting with a speed booster that little foot on the bottom of the adapter has served me quite well. If you use a top handle though then definitely put that thing in a cage, so much sturdier and you really start to open up grip options. You shooting handheld with a top handle i'm guessing?

6 hours ago, mercer said:

He uses a hot shoe handle on his gx80 and with his new implementation of the Sigma 18-35mm and metabones adapter, Jase is afraid the hot shoe may break due to the load.

Ahh now I see. I have the same problem I am facing with my Panasonic G7 rig. I am going to buy a Zacuto Half Cage, with their handle. Big bucks to buy, but beats dropping my rig.

Blury picture and all!

IMG_0581[1].JPG

Yeah that is a Fujinon ENG 2/3" f1.8 19x 8.7-165mm lens with a 2x built in doubler in it. They are refered to as a B4 lens. And it does cover a M4/3 sensor with the doubler engaged.

So you end up on a M4/3 camera with figuring in the 2x doubler on the lens and the 2x crop factor of M/4/3 lenses, it is about a constant F3.6 parafocal 35.7mm- 660mm. And I payed $150.00 for it. So they a pretty impossible to beat. That lens cost over $10,000.00 when it was new 20 years ago!

And they have a built in zoom servo on them, and has Macro focusing too boot!

IMG_0585[1].JPG