A "frugal" films thread perhaps?

DPC

How about a thread of resources pointing to "frugal" films. Finished pieces made with smartphones, consumer camcorders, you get the picture. Not tests. Films. Because that what excites me most at the moment.  Here's a few pointers from me. You know how the internet works, I don't have to baby you with links ;-) Google : Ruslan Pelykh Leica, Boat Magazine iPhone, BFM TV Paris iPhone, Filmic Pro's video portfolio (Dark Waves especially), Tangerine (but everybody must have seen that by now), #mojo. My intuition says it's time to look at whats getting finished, broadcast, shared, simply but beautifully and take inspiration from that. Thoughts? Because 72 pages on how to get the best out of the GX80 / 85 just isn't right ;-)

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I subscribe to your post. Anybody can shot with a RED and make a bad movie so I'd like to see examples of the opposite too. :grimace::grimace:

three minutes of pure cinematic, narrative, acting, conflict gold. I love this film. At least they finished, it's in youtube and has more than half a million views in this iteration. It's humbling. Horrible, fun and humbling.

A sub-forum for low/zero budget filmmaking as a whole would be nice with the cheapest options in every filmmaking area, and this type of stuff too. I often feel a little dorky asking for the dirt cheap gear here, when it's such a broad range of people, and I don't want to clutter the forum. I'll have to google those. Tangerine was surprisingly good

10 minutes ago, fuzzynormal said:

The last doc I made was a passion project.  My wife and I didn't pay anything to do it, 'cept our own travel costs.

Since documentary production is so simple, I can't really imagine 'em needing to be too expensive these days.  If you're capable of being your own crew, you can certainly do it for "free."

True. I did one in my spare time with a Panasonic FZ200, £15 monopod, Hague MMC and a Zoom H1. I won't link to it because it has a tendency to trigger the politically correct. I travelled around the country going on demonstrations and compiling interviews and only carried a small flight bag at all times, often having one hand free to ward off missiles being thrown by opposition groups. As above, my only costs were travel related, but even that was discounted because I got to travel with the group on their coaches - so going to places like Essex from Birmingham was costing me £15 instead of £150.

Good thread suggestion, by the way - I am exhausted with gear coveting :)

3 hours ago, Zak Forsman said:

Only have the :30 teaser available right now. But the feature will be released next year.

That looks absolutely great!

1 hour ago, Davey said:

Good thread suggestion, by the way - I am exhausted with gear coveting :)

Me too. And I'm convinced that the only lasting skills you can acquire - composition, narration, editing - can be developed without needing expensive kit. I'm particularly interested at the moment in how smartphones are being used by TV stations for news and documentary work. Not just "citizen" images of breaking events but fully structured pieces. 

I forgot to put this in my quick list, by the way :

Oh, and there's a lot to be learned from looking at the videos on Instagram. Like just how much of a story you can tell in 15 seconds or so...

29 minutes ago, DPC said:

That looks absolutely great!

Me too. And I'm convinced that the only lasting skills you can acquire - composition, narration, editing - can be developed without needing expensive kit. I'm particularly interested at the moment in how smartphones are being used by TV stations for news and documentary work. Not just "citizen" images of breaking events but fully structured pieces. 

I forgot to put this in my quick list, by the way :

That is absolutely incredible - an inspiration. Thanks for sharing as this is not getting the views it deserves, but then it wouldn't when the likes of Casey Neistat are hoovering up Google Search results.

4 hours ago, Zak Forsman said:

My production company produced this microbudget feature, shot on the GH4. Only have the :30 teaser available right now. But the feature will be released next year.

killin it!!! ???

so dope, legit awesome, zak does it again, looks super professional, great edit, gh4 omg, wowza!!! let us know when it comes out zak!!!

If you want a job done, do it yourself... Here's more although I'm very reluctant to encourage watching anything where the presenters say "Ignite",  "Here's what happened" or "Sneak peek". And then there's the absurdity of starting a video by asking "What's up guys?" when you'll never get a reply. But everyone seems to do that :

On 19 dicembre 2016 at 4:54 AM, Zak Forsman said:

My production company produced this microbudget feature, shot on the GH4. Only have the :30 teaser available right now. But the feature will be released next year.

Wow, some of the best GH4 footage I ever seen!
Zak, are you also actor?

On ‎12‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 8:54 PM, Zak Forsman said:

Looks very good.  Also the timing of the trailer and the info given was precise.  Cheers.

On 12/19/2016 at 7:54 PM, Zak Forsman said:

Nice, but I jumped from my chair due to the extreme loudness of this teaser.  :)

I ran a loudness check on your footage, it's around -9 (ATSC A/85 LKFS).

• 4 months later...
On 12/18/2016 at 10:54 PM, Zak Forsman said:

Trailer looks fantastic...and not just in look...but the cut is dynamic...really pulls you in...micro budget or not...it does not feel like it!