2016: Camera and Lenses in Review

Ed_David

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

Best new camera is the one I am reviewing right now, the Panasonic G85.

The new sensor is way better than the GH4 in terms of image quality. The stabilisation is amazing. The ergonomics just-so. The price a bargain. I love everything about it. Best Panasonic camera since the GH4 and LX100.

GX85 earlier in the year also gets an honourable mention!

Best lens of the year, hmm... so many to choose from. It would have to go to the Sigma 50-100mm F1.8 but it's just so damned big and breathes a LOT. So not that. Let me think... Sigma 20mm F1.4 ART... or is that last year?!

Ice Light looks interesting. Worth the money? Do you have the Ice Light 2?

That got me curious: the all new Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II. The mucho expensivo Olympus PRO and Panasonic Leica line-up. Lights: Aputure LS C120d.

That I actually went and got this year... ehm. G80 (Panasonic UK free promotional battery grip came in two days ago!). New Sigma DC DN 30mm f/1.4. Oldschool Leica Summicron-R 50mm f/2. Probably forgetting something.

• Administrators

The white balance seems better.

The sensor is much cleaner in the shadows.

Much less noise at ISO 800 and above, better colour saturation too.

I think Ed's mention of the tube lighting is intriguing, it's something I've wanted for ages, much better form factor and softer spread of light than traditional rectangular LED panels, also the colour accuracy is meant to be superb on the Ice Light 2.

Super portable as well.

Just wish the pricing was a bit less hot! Ouch!

52 minutes ago, majoraxis said:

I'm very impressed with the Sony 24-70 G Master.  It appears to be parfocal, focus by wire works well and autofocus with Sony A6300 and even the A7RII to a lesser degree is very good. At the long end, it has nice bokeh wide open with a 3D pop to it. Resolution and color are outstanding as well.

I'm going to second this, rented it for 3 shoots this year, 2 videos and one Wedding photo shoot. It's performance is incredible.

3 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

The new sensor is way better than the GH4 in terms of image quality. The stabilisation is amazing. The ergonomics just-so. The price a bargain. I love everything about it. Best Panasonic camera since the GH4 and LX100.

GX85 earlier in the year also gets an honourable mention!

Best lens of the year, hmm... so many to choose from. It would have to go to the Sigma 50-100mm F1.8 but it's just so damned big and breathes a LOT. So not that. Let me think... Sigma 20mm F1.4 ART... or is that last year?!

Ice Light looks interesting. Worth the money? Do you have the Ice Light 2?

awesome

yes ice light 2 - just quick and easy lighting - very powerful output especially when close to a subject.  great for outdoors and quick quick backlight that is super easy to use.

9 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

The new sensor is way better than the GH4 in terms of image quality. 

It is strange that DXOmark gives GH4 clearly better sensor score and iso score than G85.

I think GH4 has more dynamic range. It is more important in low iso = normal use.

28 minutes ago, bamigoreng said:

Gawd, that swindling sucker is unbelievable...shitting all over Andrew's c-log profile over there.

OT: I vote for the 5d4... haha.

Nahhhh...the G85 seems such a great value, is on my wishlist, but I'll wait for Andrew's review and the GH5. Also the Sony a99 ii is incredibly specced, for what it's worth.

3 minutes ago, Goose said:

Just wondering if I should fork out more for the G80 (Im not too worried about audio in).

Eventhough the gx80 is a great camera, especially if you take the price into consideration but if you had to make a choice then the G80 is a better camera allround and worth the extra investment, the internal audio on the gx80 is really bad, you can't plug in a microphone, the viewfinder is too small, the lcd screen doesn't flip open and it doesn't have cine-d or v profile. These are all shortcomings the G80 does not have, for me the G80 is camera of the year.

7 minutes ago, dantheman said:

Eventhough the gx80 is a great camera, especially if you take the price into consideration but if you had to make a choice then the G80 is a better camera allround and worth the extra investment, the internal audio on the gx80 is really bad, you can't plug in a microphone, the viewfinder is too small, the lcd screen doesn't flip open and it doesn't have cine-d or v profile. These are all shortcomings the G80 does not have, for me the G80 is camera of the year.

Thanks - really good points.  Is the IBIS as good in the G80?

• Administrators
1 hour ago, bamigoreng said:

We need to hound DPReview until they remove the criminal

https://***URL removed***/members/9734214696/overview

Tactics?