If I put my laptop outside in cold will it render faster?

Mat Mayer

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

It seems to work, down from 86 to 84 hours now, in about an hour. The first 2 cores are still 90 and 89 but the other 2 cores are lower at 87/86 and 86/85 (they were both 89 before).

The first core goes red at 90! every couple seconds, so I will assume that is throttling.

If you can lower the temp in one room, lower the temperature to somewhere around 10-14 degrees celsius. Should be a decent operating temperature for the laptop. There's often a major difference in cooling if you can lower the ambient temperature from around +22 degrees celsius to around +16, so a few more degrees cooler might be enough to quit the throttling.

Long-term solution: get a laptop that is made for higher performance tasks for long periods. Probably will take a bit of research to find out which ones are good for such use. MBP are quite decently built for these types of uses.

There's also laptop coolers that transports heat away from underside of computers. These might be a quick aid. They lower the temperature, but don't expect them to fully fix the throttling/overheating issue: http://www.laptopmag.com/articles/best-laptop-coolers.

2 hours ago, dahlfors said:

If you can lower the temp in one room, lower the temperature to somewhere around 10-14 degrees celsius. Should be a decent operating temperature for the laptop. There's often a major difference in cooling if you can lower the ambient temperature from around +22 degrees celsius to around +16, so a few more degrees cooler might be enough to quit the throttling.

Long-term solution: get a laptop that is made for higher performance tasks for long periods. Probably will take a bit of research to find out which ones are good for such use. MBP are quite decently built for these types of uses.

There's also laptop coolers that transports heat away from underside of computers. These might be a quick aid. They lower the temperature, but don't expect them to fully fix the throttling/overheating issue: http://www.laptopmag.com/articles/best-laptop-coolers.

It's down to 73 hours now so it has knocked about 6-7 hours off so far, room is 24 degrees though so will find a cooler one (radiator broken and I guess opening the window is just letting moisture in). Definitely buying one of those laptop coolers now.

Just as a point of physics from a goofy layman (me) that can kind of only half remember high-school science classes: molecules that get colder move slower.  After all, absence of vibration is actually absolute zero, right?

That's not exactly relevant, however.

Computer components being exceptionally cold won't change the laws of electromagnetism and the speed of light.  Waves of electricity are unaffected.

Of course, your components could get so hot that the molecules in the components would start to fly away and irradiate so violently that certain components fail.  That's always impressive.  Humans tend to like to see things burn and get blowed up real good.  It's a fun primal thing we all share.

All that said, if you computer is hot, cool it.

8 hours ago, Mat Mayer said:

It seems to work, down from 86 to 84 hours now, in about an hour. The first 2 cores are still 90 and 89 but the other 2 cores are lower at 87/86 and 86/85 (they were both 89 before).

The first core goes red at 90! every couple seconds, so I will assume that is throttling.

The temperature where thermal throttling starts is different on different Intel CPUs. If you want to find out the exact limit where throttling sets in for your specific CPU, you need to check out what the "Tjunction" is for your specific model. 90 degrees is a common limit, 100 degrees is also common.

It goes red at 90. Just gonna get a cheap ultra thin, ultra quiet fan stand which doesn't have blue lights- most of them have blue lights for some reason. Peace of mind and even if it doesn't help render times apparently overheating is going to kill the laptop quicker, so theres that. When someone makes a computer that I dont need to make myself or spend £5k on I will upgrade. For now a £20 fan will be fine. Its for Vimeo so I can only upload so much on current plan anyway. Thanks all. :grin: