Lumix 12-35 or Oly 12-40 on G80

vulgatron

Hi again, today I have a new question :D

I just returned a Sigma 17-50 that I wanted to use on my Lumix G80 and Gx80 due to the vignetting I've got with a LensTurbo, so I was about to go for a Lumix 12-35 as I didn't even know the Olympus version existed.

Question is, if you can get one of those for roughly the same price (second hand) which will be your choice? Is one significantly better than the other one?

As it seems the extra range, build quality and focus ring of the Olympus are a plus, but how does it compare without the stabilisation on the Lumix? Does the IBIS on the G80 /GX80 compensate for that or is it better to have everything stabilised?

I do mainly interviews but also run&gun where handheld is the only option.

What you guys think? 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

True, although dual IS 2 works wonders, so that does give the Panasonic a slight edge on stabilization. Otherwise, they're pretty far apart. The 12-40mm is a PRO zoom and the 12-35mm is a Lumix. You notice that in build, in optics. Do believe the 12-35mm might have some weird micro jitter issues as well. Overall, I'd go Olympus as well.

The zoom ring on the Olympus lens turns the opposite way compared to the panasonic lens so that might be annoying if you are not used to that, also the panasonic 12-35mm does not produce micro jitters like the 35-100mm does. Another advantage with the panasonic 12-35mm is the OIS so that does give some extra stabilization when combined with the sensor stabilization and if you plan on using this lens on a GH4 or G7 you at least have a lens with IS where the Olympus lens does not give you that option. The focus clutch on the olympus, eventhough very handy, is like the panasonic still fly by wire, not sure for the g80 but switching between auto and manual focus on a GH4 is very easy and fast as well, I have the olympus 40-150mm f2.8 and everytime I pull that focus clutch to have manual focus the image shifts out of focus, doesn't happen on my gh4 when switching between auto to manual. The panasonic is also smaller and lighter.

If I had to choose I"d take the panasonic over the olympus. For photos the olympus is the superior lens but if your main focus is video you would have to pixelpeep to see the difference in IQ.

4 hours ago, dantheman said:

The zoom ring on the Olympus lens turns the opposite way compared to the panasonic lens so that might be annoying if you are not used to that, also the panasonic 12-35mm does not produce micro jitters like the 35-100mm does. Another advantage with the panasonic 12-35mm is the OIS so that does give some extra stabilization when combined with the sensor stabilization and if you plan on using this lens on a GH4 or G7 you at least have a lens with IS where the Olympus lens does not give you that option. The focus clutch on the olympus, eventhough very handy, is like the panasonic still fly by wire, not sure for the g80 but switching between auto and manual focus on a GH4 is very easy and fast as well, I have the olympus 40-150mm f2.8 and everytime I pull that focus clutch to have manual focus the image shifts out of focus, doesn't happen on my gh4 when switching between auto to manual. The panasonic is also smaller and lighter.

If I had to choose I"d take the panasonic over the olympus. For photos the olympus is the superior lens but if your main focus is video you would have to pixelpeep to see the difference in IQ.

I've owned both lenses, and currently own the Panasonic 12-35 and 35-100 f2.8 lenses with my GX80 for exactly the reasons above: Dual-IS, smaller size (I've standardised on 58mm filters), indistinguishable (for me) image quality.  The Olympus would give me closer focusing (sudo macro) and longer zoom range at the expense of everything else.

58 minutes ago, JazzBox said:

The focus ring has hard stops in manual mode, the overall quality is better (metal construction, splash proof etc)

I don't know how the 12-40 reacts but my 40-150 also has hard stops in manual mode but it's still fly by wire and I find nailing focus manually not easy, the feedback the focus ring gives is nowhere near as accurate as focusing with a mechanical focus system like you have with a samyang lens. Something to consider if you plan to focus a lot manually. Eventhough the Olympus lens has a better build quality the 12-35 from Panasonic is also splash proof, you can't go wrong with either of these lenses but I don't find one superior over the other, both have their pros and cons, you only need to decide which advantages matter most to you

Decisions... Decisions, I was almost convinced on the Oly but now I dunno anymore :D

If IQ is pretty much the same, I have to decide if the 10mm reach is worth it or if the Dual IS might be a  better option.

What about in terms of autofocus I'm guessing the Pana will be better on Pana bodies, is that so? And if so a lot of difference between the two?

Thanks for the video Cary, pretty steady indeed. Will the IBIS only if used with the 12-40 much different steady wise? 

Also I've been looking at video reviews and seems like the Pana flickers a bit when zooming and the Oly doesn't seem to have that issue. Is the Oly parfocal?

And I've read some copies of the Pana suffer from micro jitters is that fixed already thru firmware or it might happen?

I guess I'm still leaning towards the Oly due to the extra reach and closer focus distance, hoping that with the G80 and GX85 IBIS won't miss any extra stabilisation.

I have the same problematic but leaning towards the 12-35

basically the better IS in video is the deal. Also if GH5 gets a good AF for video I guess it will work better with Panasonic lenses?

the closer range and macro of the Oly are nice. But to compensate I will get a 42.5mm 1.7 that is good in term of very close focusing and even better range than the Oly. 

With this two lens you have a killer Dual Is combo for anything between 24 to 85mm 

and the 1.7 aperture is important for those sweet bokeh shots vs the 2.8 

seems the best combo for me. 

I remember visiting this debate on and off for two years, knowing that I was coming into money and building up a list of possible lens 'musts' under different systems. Up until the time of the a7sii coming out it was a7s or GH4 and more recently, GH5 or a7sii. Having to wait another year for the GH5 saved me the headaches of having to choose between Olly or Panny lenses.

The 12-35 v 12-40 was the biggest headache of the lot - saw every video going and visited every forum going. Flip flopped a thousand times. The micro jitters got fixed for some and not for others (same with the 35-100) so I always edged towards the Olly. But then I would eventually know that IBIS was becoming pretty much standard and it is better to have dual IS than any other solution.

I understand the dilemma but if I was forced to buy one or the other today (for a stabilised Panny body) I would choose the 12-35.

Then again...

I've almost change my mind towards the 12-35 due to all the videos I've seen as there are more examples than with the 12-40. I'm reading about this flickering problem though while zooming, is it really an issue or has been updated or there's a workaround for it? This alongside the micro jitters could be a deal breaker...

This is all with Lumix G7 and the 12-35mm.

The shots that don't appear to be on steadycam are handheld (all of them) with post zoom ins and outs (plus warp stabilizer) so for me hands down on the O.I.S of this lens which is super great and probably better with Dual-OIS.

7 minutes ago, vulgatron said:

I've almost change my mind towards the 12-35 due to all the videos I've seen as there are more examples than with the 12-40. I'm reading about this flickering problem though while zooming, is it really an issue or has been updated or there's a workaround for it? This alongside the micro jitters could be a deal breaker...

While you zoom in with the lens there are 3 (or 4) stages throught the zoom that you see a flicker (sorta like going brighter) but only when you zooming slowly. If you plan on doing works where you have to zoom in quite slow you'll definitely see it.

3 minutes ago, Ricardo Constantino said:

The shots that don't appear to be on steadycam are handheld (all of them) with post zoom ins and outs (plus warp stabilizer) so for me hands down on the O.I.S of this lens which is super great and probably better with Dual-OIS.

Very Nice!

6 minutes ago, Ricardo Constantino said:

While you zoom in with the lens there are 3 (or 4) stages throught the zoom that you see a flicker (sorta like going brighter) but only when you zooming slowly. If you plan on doing works where you have to zoom in quite slow you'll definitely see it.

Very nice video Ricardo, very impressive. May I ask which steady did you use?

Also what about the jittering problem have you noticed any? Regarding the flicker I guess if I plan things right I can shoot 4k and then crop from there...

6 minutes ago, vulgatron said:

Very nice video Ricardo, very impressive. May I ask which steady did you use?

Also what about the jittering problem have you noticed any? Regarding the flicker I guess if I plan things right I can shoot 4k and then crop from there...

Thanks a lot :)

I use a Flycam Nano DSLR (which is pretty small, portable and great for the price!).

To be honest I have never had any jittering problems and the only time my OIS is off is when I have to use a tripod. 

What I sometimes notice (only on Steadycam) is like small "robotic" movements sorta like "gymbalish" that I know that's the OIS compensating but it's usually only when I'm sloppy on calibration.

On handheld if you use the longest end or the ETC mode you have to have in mind that you sorta using a telephoto lens (handheld) so you might see that the OIS is stronger if you don't have steady hands.

EDIT: Yeah if I'm doing interviews I usually go 4K for the post crops so I think you'll be fine!