Overkill tripod for mirrorless ?

Alex Uzan

Benro S6 is a relatively cheap head, so far it performs on par with similar or slightly more expensive Manfrottos.

I am very happy using in mainly on a monopod, and some tripod work.

Sachtler is a completely different thing, the legs are not top notch, the head is the best "cheap" one I have ever used, but it is twice the price of Benro (at least here), and the cheapest

Sachtler doesn't have a light on its leveling bubble! That drives me nuts, as I have to carry led lights with me all the time! The next Sachtler, with the light, is even more expensive.

Sachtler and a C100markII is a kit that can't fail you on the field though, a kit that can pay the bills.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
13 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

Benro S6 is a relatively cheap head, so far it performs on par with similar or slightly more expensive Manfrottos.

I am very happy using in mainly on a monopod, and some tripod work.

Sachtler is a completely different thing, the legs are not top notch, the head is the best "cheap" one I have ever used, but it is twice the price of Benro (at least here), and the cheapest

Sachtler doesn't have a light on its leveling bubble! That drives me nuts, as I have to carry led lights with me all the time! The next Sachtler, with the light, is even more expensive.

Sachtler and a C100markII is a kit that can't fail you on the field though, a kit that can pay the bills.

In my real job my cameramen use top of the range Sachtler heads and sticks. Occasionally when they go for a pie and a piss (in that order) I get to play with it and chase a few crowd shots.. mate it's like driving a roller after a mini minor,no comparison

2 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

Have you check the prices of a Benro S6 and a top of the range Sachtler? The one can buy you a meal for two in a good (or ok) restaurant and the other buy you a small car.

Yeah it's so true, but remember a good head will last you for life time, a cheap head will last a few years. If you think you're pay load is going to be always light, and you're foacal length shortish, something like a S6 or 502 will serve you well. when it gets down to Matte Boxes, Follow Focus, Light, monitor, Batteries, etc ya gonna need something more.

The S6 is my monopod, and mirrorless/dSLR head. We use the Sachtler Ace for the C100markII, for the C300 we use a Miller one with multiple price of the Sachtler.

Every job needs its tools. If I go run and gunning with the C100 the S6 is not enough, the Miller is too much.

When we shot a short with the C300 and matte box and Canon Cine lenses, then the Miller is a must.

If I need ultra mobility with my mirrorless kit I take my Benro S6 and Benro monopod. I sometimes put a small-small mirrorless as a C camera (for a wide shot or something) I even have a tiny Manfrotto https://www.manfrotto.us/manfrotto-mkcompactacn-rd-compact-action-red  which I call my "hipster's" mini tripod, to match fine with my brown small mirrorless! 

These age, that most of the small cameras can achieve incredible results, big and heavy equipment is overkill for me. When I am a one man's band, I can have a whole 3 camera setup with only one camera bag, http://www.vanguardworld.us/photo_video_us/products/camera-bags/quovio-41.html and the little tripod ON the bag (there is a bigger version, I should have gone for that one, still this one is enough).

this bag https://www.cullmann.de/en/detail/id/protector-podbag-450.html for the Benro+head (which is suitable for the C100 too, by the way..), and I am ready to go.

13 hours ago, Stanley said:

What model is the Sachtler

13 hours ago, aldolega said:

Sachtler Ace L.

13 hours ago, Kisaha said:

The one I have, the Ace L, does have a bubble light! Very useful I agree. It seems most people aren't aware that the L version exists, as the M version is what you see everywhere. The L has a 6kg load capacity as well, the M is 4kg.

18 hours ago, jonpais said:

I like it! I happen to be very interested in tripods as well. Perhaps a sub forum for sliders, tripods, jibs, etc. Let's see what we can do.

19 hours ago, jonpais said:

You're probably right. Not many true fluid video heads by reputable manufacturers for lightweight cameras, either. They say fluid head, but they're actually friction. 

I think the Sachtler Ace & Miller Air are appropriate for lightweight cams. 

4 hours ago, Kisaha said:

The M(kit) is 650-700euros, and L(kit) is 1000+ here! Quite a difference in price, and 650 is not exactly cheap, for not putting that bubble light! The L kit has also carbon fiber legs.

Ah, yea, now that I look at B&H, that's about the same here... the M kit is $621, and the L kit is $1,035. The L kit has carbon legs, though, which I would guess would be a $200-300 difference by itself, making the difference in the head not THAT huge. So I guess it's more an issue of the heads not being offered by themselves, and the legs each come bundled with aren't directly comparable (cf vs alu).

EDIT: just saw the Freddie Wong Super Deluxe Faster & Furiouser Xtreme 2DAMAX Edition Ace L kit, only $783, comes with the aluminum legs. So that's well worth it over the Ace M kit IMO, if you can stand the neon green.