Seeking info on lens: Minolta 135mm f/2 MD

Calum MacPhail

Hey people,

I'm wondering if anyone has either owned this lens, come across one in the wild or has seen other posts about it. The only post anyone ever seems to link to is this: http://www.rokkorfiles.com/135mm.htm

image1 (5).JPG

To give you guys the story of this lens: I was gifted it from a family friend, photographer Harry Benson (if you haven't come across his work, do yourself a favour and check him out, hes a living legend in the industry). It was given to me along with a number of other lenses and a number of X700 bodies with motor drives. Unfortunatley it was first gifted to an uncle who took poor care of the lenses and as such, almost all the glass in the box has lens fungus. By a stroke of luck however, this lens was in the best condition of them all. I managed to get the lens UV treated and the little fungus that the lens has collected was killed off. 

Other than mounting it to my NX1, as a primarily CANON user (boo hiss these days I know, but both my C100 and before that my 7D worked their arses off for me), I haven't found myself using this lens much, mainly due to the focal length. Its much more attractive now in the days of mirrorless and the lenses mount is no longer an issue. I've began to have a bit of a clear out recently and that got me searching for information on the lens and how much would be a fair asking price for it. 

Anyway, Im beginning to ramble, my limited use of this lens so far has proven it to be a lovely, solid piece of glass. My primary issue as I originally stated, is that it seems to be somewhat of a rarity and thats casting doubt in my mind as to what would be a fair asking price.

TLDR: Anyone got this lens, seen it for sale before or have any idea what its worth?

Hopefully we can bring a little bit of light to this issue and help anyone else out that may be also on a quest for truth. Feel free to fire any questions you may have and I'll do my best to answer them.

EDIT: Just came across this after posting: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Minolta-MD-135mm-F2-Lens-w-Caps-/321214971480?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item4ac9e77e58&clk_rvr_id=1136997507589&rmvSB=true $1000 seems to be an approximate value for a lens in excellent condition.

image2.JPGimage3.JPG

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Can you post some pictures shot with it ? I don't have this lens, as it is quite rare, but I do love my MD 135/2.8, would love to see a comparison. Is it sharp @f/2 ? The rokkorfiles test shows it not being that sharp, but is it sharp enough for video wide open ? Should be great on a full frame (Sony E-mount ?)

It's really difficult to tell the capability of the lens from the Rokkor files site I think, it seems to be a pretty old article and its not the best choice of test shots.

Speaking of not the best test shots...

Heres too very quick and dirty shots out of my NX1, one photo, one video frame. Straight out of the camera (video still was fired into premiere for titling) 

Shot at ISO 200 at F2 and with the camera set to -9 sharpness. 

I tried mainly to focus on the smaller "eye" (or is that his projector like R2-D2?) and the lines around it.

Like I said, its a very quick and dirty test, done on a small Pixi tripod that wasn't quite up to the weight of the camera and lens, so take into account that these are rough results, wide open and with some minor shake. I think the lens makes a pretty good account of itself wide open. 

I'm heading out just now, so I cant do anymore tests tonight, but if anyones got any suggestions of what they'd like to see out of the Lens, just fire up here and I'll do my best :)/

SAM_1257.JPG

main edit.Still020.jpg

On 9.12.2016. at 7:52 PM, Justin Bacle said:

Can you post some pictures shot with it ? I don't have this lens, as it is quite rare, but I do love my MD 135/2.8, would love to see a comparison.

I also have MC Tele Rokkor-PF 135mm/2.8, and I use it from time to time on the GX85 (with an adapter); excellent and nice pictures, with space compression. I love it, too.

• 1 year later...
  • 5 years later...

Hi!

I am really late here, i dont know if you’re here anymore, BUT I would be more than happy to pay a fair price for it, like about 1250 Euros. It’s a really rare lense, and i would just love to get my hands on it 🙂

If you want to you can contact me on discord (haiz_steinfeld) or instagram (llib_xg) or here tbh 

Thank you so much,

Sincerely,