To Buy, Or Not To Buy: The Canon 1DX mk II

Oliver Daniel

@Oliver Daniel Question for you...Is there a particular reason you currently favor an fs5 as opposed to the a7sii? I personally would like to someday own a camera that is in the video form factor if anything else, for the ability to go handheld without a rig. Would you say that the stabilizatiom we are seeing in the new cameras will soon/already make it possible to do solid handheld without a rig?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, Dustin said:

@Oliver Daniel Question for you...Is there a particular reason you currently favor an fs5 as opposed to the a7sii? I personally would like to someday own a camera that is in the video form factor if anything else, for the ability to go handheld without a rig. Would you say that the stabilizatiom we are seeing in the new cameras will soon/already make it possible to do solid handheld without a rig?

There are many reasons to favour an FS5. 

1. It can be stripped down to a palm sized box or into a 4K 120fps monster (with upgrade and recorder). 

2. Ergonomics are brilliant. 

3. Electronic ND filter - just awesome. 

4. Internal 10bit.

5. Internal super slow motion. 

6. Audio controls and XLRs. 

7. Super 35 sensor. Use more lenses. 

8. More wow factor to clients ;) 

I'm unsure on the future of stabilisation in the FS-Series, however it's well controlled using a Sony lens with OSS and a steady hand. It's perfect for gimbal and sliders too, being so compact. 

53 minutes ago, Oliver Daniel said:

There are many reasons to favour an FS5. 

1. It can be stripped down to a palm sized box or into a 4K 120fps monster (with upgrade and recorder). 

2. Ergonomics are brilliant. 

3. Electronic ND filter - just awesome. 

4. Internal 10bit.

5. Internal super slow motion. 

6. Audio controls and XLRs. 

7. Super 35 sensor. Use more lenses. 

8. More wow factor to clients ;) 

I'm unsure on the future of stabilisation in the FS-Series, however it's well controlled using a Sony lens with OSS and a steady hand. It's perfect for gimbal and sliders too, being so compact. 

I agree those are all really awesome to have. I cannot yet afford something of that caliber without taking out a loan. Yet I have to say, even with Sony color issues as they may be...Sony seems to really put a ton of features in their cameras. All those features are ones I'm wanting in my next camera upgrade. I already said in another thread how I am upgrading my lighting kit this year (from having nothing!) but in the distant future Sony definitely has my eye!

Sorry to bump this post but there was some discussion of the WFT-e8A on here. I had a huge lag when using it with the Camera Connect app and the Ronin-m. after a bit, I narrowed the problem down to the bluetooth connection inside of the Ronin. It always on and you can't disable it.

The trick to fix it is to have your Ronin-M on and connected to the DJI Assistant app so that there is an active bluetooth connection, use the "viewer" mode so that its transmitting data to your phone. THEN setup your WFT-E8a network with the connection wizard. It will detect the interference and use a different channel. Drove me nuts! So I hope this helps someone else.