Tons of problems with new Macbook Pro

Ed_David

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

http://www.macrumors.com/2016/12/07/macbook-pro-graphics-issues-email/

Time will tell if this is the actual fix or not, but would be great to hear that it is software-based. Always good to wait, rather than be an early adopter, but some of us don't have the luxury to wait a whole year. I'd wait until the next model if I could, instead of getting the first one out of the gate on the refresh, but I need a powerful new laptop pronto, and have other reservations about settling for the 2015. Hopefully they work out these kinks sooner rather than later. Definitely not making a purchase until they do.

have you guys used the new touchbar? ive spent some time with it and imo it is THE stupidest gimmick. dont get me wrong, a mbp is still a mbp...

touchbar doesnt add any functionality... it just makes me want to TOUCH THE SCREEN. The ACTUAL SCREEN.

its like appl engineers came up with the laziest possible way to have a 'touch screen computer' lmao

I'm hoping the firmware update solves the glitches too, since I've got a build on preorder myself. After watching Max Yuryev's comprehensive testing of the MBPr 2016 specifically for video editing (the only one I'm aware of). I just had to have this machine. 

13 hours ago, kaylee said:

have you guys used the new touchbar? ive spent some time with it and imo it is THE stupidest gimmick. dont get me wrong, a mbp is still a mbp...

touchbar doesnt add any functionality... it just makes me want to TOUCH THE SCREEN. The ACTUAL SCREEN.

its like appl engineers came up with the laziest possible way to have a 'touch screen computer' lmao

And you need dongles for everything... maybe time to join the dark side? :yum:

DnJBkRh.jpg

I like the Surface Book as a concept. But... I think I'll end up with another Asus or MSI once there's a couple of interesting choices with new Nvidia 10x0-series graphics.

1 hour ago, Cinegain said:

And you need dongles for everything...

its insane, i mean as a consumer its mainly annoying, but as a designer its appalling

maybe time to join the dark side? :yum:

it may be ? im a stylus enthusiast so thats huge for me...

i havent paid attention to microsoft in forever but i watched the whole keynote with this wild thing and surface book... i was really impressed

wth! makes an imac look pretty pedestrian tbh

I like the Surface Book as a concept. But... I think I'll end up with another Asus or MSI once there's a couple of interesting choices with new Nvidia 10x0-series graphics.

Even while Max is right about not needing dongles for everything (you can replace cables on external drives with inexpensive USB-C to micro USB cables, for example), it was driving me insane trying to shop for the four or five I will need, to the point that I just gave up.

5 hours ago, Cinegain said:

DnJBkRh.jpg

I did also... So I bought a maxed out Surface Book. Then I tried to use it to edit some 4k video. After that I packed it neatly back into its box and returned it. The SB is a nice computer, and I much prefer "Hello Windows" to Apple's "Touch ID". But when you buy the Mac you are paying both for hardware and well optimized software. And the latter justifies the price. That said my fully spec'd MBP late 2016 model has been on order since the 15th of November, and it still reads as "Processing" at BHPhoto. Would love it if I had some clue when I might actually receive my unit.

• 3 weeks later...

Quick update:

I tested the 2.7 455 version with all the latest updates for few days and here are my thoughts:

- Its more quiet than before but temperatures routinely reach 100 deg celcius when editing. 

- I am happy with the keyboard but it can get loud. I just hope they fixed the sticking keys issue with the butterfly mechanism than I had on multiple Macbooks. 

IMG_20161225_130916.jpg

- Performance is OK, but the thing keeps crashing all the time (yes I have the latest updates),

and at one time the video just went crazy on me:

After restarting the screen had a bad flicker for few hours. 

I was just about to try editing a project with FCPX, but after the last crash it is just       going back. I cannot risk loosing any work. 

- Battery life when editing is bad. It does not really affect me that much but some might be annoyed more. 

- No SD card reader really? That was the worst part of the new model. 

So my suggestion would be to wait for the new model that will come next year with better battery life, better CPU, 32GB of DDR4 ram and hopefully no bugs. This version is just macbook "pro".  

If you want a good performer mobile editing machine i strongly recommend  having a look at the Clevo/Sager/Eurocom/Avell notebooks (They`re all the same brand, Clevo, rebranded) or MSI. They`re build for games, but also perform really well with Premiere Pro. I also prefer OSX over Windows, but the performance i got from mine Clevo is far from any Apple computer  i could afford haha Take a look especially at those with the new Nvidia 1060/1070/1080 graphics. It seems that in this generation they finally catch up the desktop performance on their mobile cards. The only downside of those gamer notebooks is that they`re huge, and are usually around 2,5-3,2kgs, but they still portable, and i dont find it that bad having a 17.3'' screen to edit.

1 hour ago, Milton Lopes said:

If you want a good performer mobile editing machine i strongly recommend  having a look at the Clevo/Sager/Eurocom/Avell notebooks (They`re all the same brand, Clevo, rebranded) or MSI. They`re build for games, but also perform really well with Premiere Pro. I also prefer OSX over Windows, but the performance i got from mine Clevo is far from any Apple computer  i could afford haha Take a look especially at those with the new Nvidia 1060/1070/1080 graphics. It seems that in this generation they finally catch up the desktop performance on their mobile cards. The only downside of those gamer notebooks is that they`re huge, and are usually around 2,5-3,2kgs, but they still portable, and i dont find it that bad having a 17.3'' screen to edit.

Just remember if you want a dual boot machine, ergo PC and OSX it HAS to have a intel CPU in it. Not a AMD. They won't work. And he is right, Clevo laptops are built like a tank and will get the job done. Should be around say $1,800.00.

I find 17.3" to be too big <insert 'that's not what your mom said last night'-joke>. I've had ASUS and MSI with 15.6" and a Sony with 16.4". Wouldn't be opposed to going smaller and then at home just connect it to a proper monitor.

I've been waiting for a cool laptop with latest Intel i7 7th gen and new Nvidia 1000-series card. I do like the MSI Prestige series. Their Apache/Stealth/Leopard Pro and whatever on the other hand are just a little too flashy and gamerish. Like a 18 year old would style his VW Golf. I prefer a more James Bond approach, mature, classy. I guess Dell XPS is kinda cool, but never really impressed by the experiences friends had with 'em. I like Alienware specs, but they as well look pretty tacky too. Guess there's ASUS ROG (Republic of Gamers) that has a few chill models. That might be something. Or just wait until one of their more regular (non-ROG) models has some sick specs. Gigabyte/AORUS have some cool things going on as well, but they seem so big and heavy compared to other laptops. Not really considering many other brands than that. Either because of something like not having a glossless/matte display or because of bad experiences etc. A Razer popped up on my radar recently: http://www.razerzone.com/store/razer-blade-pro that looks purdy sick. The video shows a bot deconstructing a desktop pc and turning it into a laptop. Crazy pricetag, I know, there's the more affordable non-Pro version too (more my thing).

2 hours ago, Cinegain said:

A Razer popped up on my radar recently: http://www.razerzone.com/store/razer-blade-pro that looks purdy sick. Crazy pricetag, 

Isn't it funny how a top spec'ed Razer blade pro that costs $4499 and has a 17.3" screen, mechanical keyboard, 32GB ram, RAID 0, all the ports that you will ever need, the best desktop graphics card out there (that costs $600 just by itself), in a relatively thin package, appears much more overpriced than a top spec'ed MacBook "Pro" that costs just $200 less :confused:.

Anyways, the XPS 15 9560 with the 1050GTX that comes out in January will be yet another very attractive mobile solution. I was very happy with mine.