"RUNNER" Trailer: A horror short I DP'd

Geoff CB

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I really liked this. The footage looks good and I like the simplistic title which shows the protagonists main character strength... probably the same thing that will save her in the end. I understand you were in charge of visuals and not the edit, but obviously the piece can only be critiqued as a whole... overall I think the edit was good. There was good tension and build, my only real critique of the edit is that we saw the protagonist react to the danger before we saw the physical danger. All in all I liked and I am really liking what you have done.

5 hours ago, mercer said:

I really liked this. The footage looks good and I like the simplistic title which shows the protagonists main character strength... probably the same thing that will save her in the end. I understand you were in charge of visuals and not the edit, but obviously the piece can only be critiqued as a whole... overall I think the edit was good. There was good tension and build, my only real critique of the edit is that we saw the protagonist react to the danger before we saw the physical danger. All in all I liked and I am really liking what you have done.

Thanks Mercer! Glad you liked the trailer overall. Interesting comment on the order, it's a critique I haven't heard yet.

Hey man. I liked this a lot and it got me interested in the whole story, so the trailer's main goal succeeds with me :-) It also showcases a lot of technical skill and polish (aerial shots, editing, grading and varied camera work/movements). If there's anything to critique, I'd second @mercer's point. The antagonist / danger is somewhat unclear at the moment we see her hiding (0:47-0:51) so perhaps a slight reorder might be even more effective. Another thing I realized when I watched it again, is that we only hear the score. Some ambient sound could elevate tension even more (running footsteps, breathing, screaming etcetera). But I realize that adds a bunch of work... Keep us posted on your progress, looks great!

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Cary Knoop said:

Great, but why not have a trailer in 4K?

Because the computer we edited on crashed every. single. time. we went above 2K on the export because it only has 2 gigs of vRAM. Using a different computer for our final grading and output.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice shots and interesting looking shortfilm. Problem was as mentioned above that we didn't see why and what she is actually hiding. In trailer we just cut to hiding and sneeking without telling/revealing a bit why she does that.

Just make me think if she was on normal running route and sees something scary wouldn't she just turn around and go back same way?

Maybe trailer should just build up tension towards revealing what she finds from her routine running track one day. And that's it. It would build up tension more.

In this trailer there was maybe too much material from different moments of movie cut together like mashup of everything.

Also mentioned earlier that it is missing sound effects. I wished trailer to build up tension with those. If we think we are on running route: just nature sounds, footateps and breathing. And slowly building up towards the reveal and exploding soundtrack at the right moment :) it would make also the soundtrack much more important.