NX-1 State of the Hack Today (Dec 2016)

Juxx989

Hi all I have had my NX-1 about a year and have sorta been keeping tabs on the hack news.... Guess I figured Id let braver souls risk blowing up their cameras before I would try...

I like the looks of my stock nx1 but was wondering if I boost the bit rate will make it easier or more flexible to Color grade it? is it more RAW like?  

What is the best hack to use today? any links?  Any horror stories? Burnt out sensors? Bricked Cameras? Does it shorten the projected life of the camera?

Thanks in advance peeps

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

So far the best hack that I have used is the good old Vasile's NX1 & NX500 Pro Bitrate Adjustment v5.3 as its the quickest of them all and according to Vasile the safest.

The Kino Seed hack is feature rich however, its got a lot of features most of them are photo oriented but its the slowest one and its the only one still in development.
I do not use it because most of its features are pointless for me and its slow on startups, it takes time before it activates like a few seconds for me its not good enough as I need quick speed all the time.

Stability wise I cannot really tell the difference between either, people seem to have more luck than me getting high bitrate to work, I am stuck with 140mbps or 150mbps no matter what card I use even the fastest SD card in the world still wont let me do more than 160mbps until it tells me the card is too slow.
I think it has to do with the autofocus using processing power, if you turn the autofocus off however you can do pretty high bitrates. 

Uninstallation wise? Both are very easy, Vasile's hack is definitely harder to install and requires patience but the Kino Seed is quick and painless definitely the easiest to use out of any of them.

Early on in the development there were a few bricked cameras however Samsung fixed them for the users, Vasile and Kino put safety measurements into place after this and while I had freezes a very rare moment, nothing serious other than that. 

Quality wise there is a difference, but do not expect RAW video quality, grade wise I would also say there is a difference however again both cameras are pretty terrible at high ISO in video so keep it below 800 in 1080p and below 2000 ISO in 2160p and you should get pretty good results with the hack, the NX500 with the 1440p mode has no noise reduction, I had good results with that at 3200ISO.

I run test of 160mbps no autofocus or stabilisation to see how long the camera recorded, it recorded for 70+ minutes before the camera refuses to record more even with unlocked timer, not quite sure why but it recorded for 3 days straight in MJPEG and no overheating issue if you plug the camera into the wall.

Only complaint I have is Kino Seed hack being slow at startups, and Vasile hack being slightly silly to install at first try, other than that they are definitely worth it and will give more life into your camera. 

Unfortunately, it is a very specialized field, and there were only 4-6 people ever did something, while magic lantern has a relatively "huge" man power. It was good as long as it lasted and we should be happy that we managed to sueez a little bit extra.

Kino Seed's try (plus the ever wise Otto!) still goes on and deserves a big applause!

I'm also bummed that more progress hasn't been made on the hack but it's a dead product so I can understand.

Personally, I was happy with the current bitrate and was only hoping for simple things like saving the video resolution on the custom settings.

Thank you to everyone who got it this far.  Was there ever a crowd funding option to further cause?

Hey all thanks for the info... I tried to install Ks Mod 2 on my NX-1 with 1.40 it didn't take found an older version and it works... I assume if I update to firmware 1.41 I can use KS Mod 2 is there any difference in performance between KS Mod 1 and 2?

Also I tried to go straight to 320 bitrate and the camera was not having it.. same a 200 bit I put on 180 and its good...  

I got a test file on my computer  computer and I definitely see a difference.. all though my premiere is choking a little on full rez... ran smooth on original rate.... 

Have you guys come up with a favorable performance/file size/Quality ratio?

According the law of diminishing returns what have you found to be the best bit rate? Perhaps 160bit simply 2x original rez?

120-140-160 I believe is best for hard disk drive space/camera heating (mine gets really warm)-sensor annihilation/file problems created. For casual use and time long projects I do not even bother.

Otto is Gandalf the Grey, Kino Seed is Frodo Baggins, and Vasile was that human Boromir(?) that his pride and recklessness made him vurnable to the Ring's power. He also dies at the end of the first movie! The pitty is, we need more allies from the elves and dwarfs, for Otto the White evolution, and the lonely Kino hobbit carry the ring further; so maybe there wont be 2 or 3.

4 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

120-140-160 I believe is best for hard disk drive space/camera heating (mine gets really warm)-sensor annihilation/file problems created. For casual use and time long projects I do not even bother.

Otto is Gandalf the Grey, Kino Seed is Frodo Baggins, and Vasile was that human Boromir(?) that his pride and recklessness made him vurnable to the Ring's power. He also dies at the end of the first movie! The pitty is, we need more allies from the elves and dwarfs, for Otto the White evolution, and the lonely Kino hobbit carry the ring further; so maybe there wont be 2 or 3.

Alas... it seems The Fellowship if the NX Hack is broken...   But long shall the memories of their deeds echo through these halls....

and thanks for the heads up I never heard that it can fry your sensor... Perhaps Ill reconsider its use....

It won't fry the sensor! Do not misunderstand me! I just have noticed that the higher the bitrate, the hotter the camera gets. So, I can imagine it is not the best for the longevity of the sensor, plus increases the file lengths quite a bit (I do some events with the NXs, and I prefer using just 1-2 SD cards per camera).

Sony on the other side, advices people on the a6500 to hold their cameras until they burn their fingers, so maybe it isn't such a big deal..

Camera shuts down when it gets too hot, I tested this by simply turning down the number for when it should shutdown in case of overheating with that Dev menu you can access with 1.40 and below. 

Yes a shame no one tries to unlock even more or hack it for real like magic lantern, but there a huge amount of great cameras coming in 2017 effectively making it pointless to hack the NX1 unless you really want to as a side project or something.
Strange how no one from Samsung camera department has leaked any developers tool

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Matthias Scheja said:

Hi. 

What is the "main" download Website for those hacks?

Is there also a improvement in the usability of the menue?

https://github.com/ottokiksmaler/nx500_nx1_modding/tree/master/nx-on-wake

https://github.com/ottokiksmaler/nx500_nx1_modding/tree/master/video-bitrate-mods/nx-patch

https://www.facebook.com/NXKS2/

2 hours ago, Matthias Scheja said:

thank you .... does the hack allow it to run the focus peaking on a manuall lense activated after a camera restart?

Not sure but a simple button push will let you use focus peaking anyway, Kinoseed one remembers your focus position after restart with wirefocus lenses if you set it in the options.

Kinoseed one is the slowest to load but its packed with features, the Vasile one is more video oriented and its as fast as a vanilla NX1/NX500