Nikon D5200 review

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Hi  Brandon,

I really liked it.

If not mistaken, you shoot with standard picture profile with all settings dial downed. I was wondering how much sharpening do you apply to the footage. I have a D7100 and I've been trying to learn and create a workflow for myself. Any tips and workflow advice would be appreciated.

Banding noise and shooting modes.

Never thought it's so bad!

----Modified -----Apology to whomever I misled, I made a mistake, when I used the A mode, the ISO was pumped up automatically so the banding was much worse.

Tried at ISO 100, still  bad in dark areas. 

1st Image, A mode. 

1861164_1374399985.jpg

2nd image, Manual mode, a lot better.

1861164_1374400025.jpg

Hi  Brandon,

I really liked it.

If not mistaken, you shoot with standard picture profile with all settings dial downed. I was wondering how much sharpening do you apply to the footage. I have a D7100 and I've been trying to learn and create a workflow for myself. Any tips and workflow advice would be appreciated.

Hey JBraddock,

I didn't do anything to the footage in post.  What you're seeing in the video is the standard profile with nothing altered.  It's just a great image right out of the box.

• 1 month later...
Guest c2dd7b52878779b55f43cc8c269267c1

Can anyone tell me about using AIS glass with the D5200? As I understand there isn't any way to monitor exposure in video mode (e.g. no histogram). I don't like the sound of this and I'm surprised Andrew didn't mention it in his review (he was using an old, manual e-series lens). How do you expose accurately in live view using manual glass with the D5200?

• 4 weeks later...

Can anyone tell me about using AIS glass with the D5200? As I understand there isn't any way to monitor exposure in video mode (e.g. no histogram). I don't like the sound of this and I'm surprised Andrew didn't mention it in his review (he was using an old, manual e-series lens). How do you expose accurately in live view using manual glass with the D5200?

AIS glass works fine but only in manual mode.  You cannot use shutter or aperture priority modes with any non-electronically connected lenses.  

There is no histogram or zerbas.  I've always just monitored by eye and learned how to visually tell if the image is correctly exposed.  It sounds dicey, but you can get consistent results just by practicing shooting in different conditions and then reviewing your work.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest c2dd7b52878779b55f43cc8c269267c1

I have a D7100 and I've been trying to learn and create a workflow for myself. Any tips and workflow advice would be appreciated.

Has anyone decided if the 7100 is inferior to the 5200 for video due to its lack of OLPF? Is there any moire/aliasing in video mode on the 7100? I'm holding off on buying a D5200 because of the immanent 5300, which has no OLPF (+ prob same sensor as 52/7100) but has 60p, better low light and better battery than 5200. I assume fixed pattern noise will still be a problem with the 5300 ...

• 8 months later...

Now the Annoying Fixed horizontal pattern noise is GONE!!! The "Video HQ 40mbps Bit-rate" fot Nikon D5200 hack did it.. The noise is now like in D5300.

Do you have any examples that you can post of before and after? I would love to see them if so. I didn't think that a higher bitrate would get rid of banding?

Now the Annoying Fixed horizontal pattern noise is GONE!!! The "Video HQ 40mbps Bit-rate" fot Nikon D5200 hack did it.. The noise is now like in D5300.

Do you have any proof? Because the fixed pattern noise happens at the sensor level (ie. it appears in RAW files too). I doubt a different bitrate could fix that.

That's what I was thinking. I know that on the GH1 there is no banding difference before or after the hack. What does the bitrate increase help with since the D5200 doesn't have mud. I am not asking to be a jerk, just wondering if there is anything that is better with the bitrate increase?

No. Works like a dream... And the Fixed horizontal pattern is still there but i can see it only above iso 8000 or if i push contrast like mad man.

Great! Do you see any other improvements? The D5200 picks up detail already really well. Does it get any better?

Great! Do you see any other improvements? The D5200 picks up detail already really well. Does it get any better?

Less banding, i quess.. Needs to do more shooting. More details.. Well that needs side by side shooting and to me its out of question.