EOSHD Pro Color for Sony Cameras

tomsemiterrific

Maybe the only conclusion is that Sony's color science is majorly screwed up (with the terrible defaults, all the inconsistencies between different cameras, between JPEG vs. video, between the way the same settings work on different cameras etc.etc.). Picture profile fine-tuning allows to rectify the worst, but not all issues. With profiles like EOSHD's, you push color away from its weird defaults, but that can create other issues in other situations, since Picture Profiles can't be as finely adjusted as, for example, a 3D LUT. And finally, the 8bit color out of the cameras doesn't always give you enough room to fix things in post.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
19 minutes ago, cantsin said:

Maybe the only conclusion is that Sony's color science is majorly screwed up (with the terrible defaults, all the inconsistencies between different cameras, between JPEG vs. video, between the way the same settings work on different cameras etc.etc.). Picture profile fine-tuning allows to rectify the worst, but not all issues. With profiles like EOSHD's, you push color away from its weird defaults, but that can create other issues in other situations, since Picture Profiles can't be as finely adjusted as, for example, a 3D LUT. And finally, the 8bit color out of the cameras doesn't always give you enough room to fix things in post.

Come on cantsin that's a bit harsh don't you think?

Once I spent few minutes in the picture profile settings I got far superior color and tonalities than I could ever get with my Olympus or Nikon cameras. You can use Andrews settings to get a Canon color or adjust them to match a Fuji base and then you can use my Fuji LUTs that I posted here to get any Fuji profile you want in post!

And the reality is that it is very very very hard to find another company that offers this amount of customization for video. Especially with an 8bit codec this is a huge advantage as you also correctly mention in you last sentence.

Let's keep the conversation on the positive side...

On 12/13/2016 at 5:29 PM, blafarm said:

I like the samples posted so far in this thread.

However, it would be nice to see some more daytime skin tone shots with the A7SII, and even better, with Canon comparisons shot at the same time.

Thanks in advance.

On 12/13/2016 at 5:36 PM, Andrew Reid said:

Next example video is that... Coming soon!

Still looking forward to seeing this when your schedule permits

On 12/25/2016 at 6:42 AM, Don Kotlos said:

Come on cantsin that's a bit harsh don't you think?

Once I spent few minutes in the picture profile settings I got far superior color and tonalities than I could ever get with my Olympus or Nikon cameras. You can use Andrews settings to get a Canon color or adjust them to match a Fuji base and then you can use my Fuji LUTs that I posted here to get any Fuji profile you want in post!

And the reality is that it is very very very hard to find another company that offers this amount of customization for video. Especially with an 8bit codec this is a huge advantage as you also correctly mention in you last sentence.

Let's keep the conversation on the positive side...

Well I still like Oly color more even with EOSHD Pro Color on my A6300, and pro color only works on video but not still.

2 minutes ago, MC Wedding Films said:

Looks good!  What Kelvin did you end up shooting at?  Looks nice so I'll guess 6800K due to the sunset, maybe over 7k?

I settled with 7000k using my eyes (forgot my grey/white card). The slightly overt reds that were originally showing in faces and lips on my first daylight tests have gone with Phase 0. 

My aim now is to have the first five picture profiles nailed down for the five most common lighting conditions and only adjust colour temperature as and when required.

Delighted with street shots at night using the original settings and delighted with today's results as the sun was going down.

I won't touch S-log for a very long time because I want to keep things simple.

So are we screwed now? Will every new sony camera have color depth disabled for sgamut3?!? If so, there's no reason for me to invest in sony. All I want to do is make good images and give them my money. Hopefully they won't do this for the a7siii, but I have a feeling that Andrew's tone might have butthurt the engineers when he wrote that $1,000,000 price. I hope they won't be fools.

On 12/23/2016 at 2:50 AM, ntblowz said:

Just purchased EOSHD Sony color, I can set Color Depth when selecting S.Gamute3.cine on my A6300

Here is the compare

Pro color is a bit too red for me, while S.Gamute3.cine is about right

EOSHD compare.jpg

As much as I find it weird to see this as a test subject, I decided to mess around with your pic in davinci resolve. The first was colored to fit the eoshd sgamut3.cine, the other for the pro color mode. I agree that Sgamut3.cine is the best. 

Screen Shot 2016-12-29 at 7.26.31 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-12-29 at 7.26.36 PM.png