EOSHD Pro Color for Sony Cameras

tomsemiterrific

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

A7sii and EOSHD Pro Color

Noticing in today's test (finally got some sunlight) that highlights are being preserved in skin tones where the sun is blazing directly or indirectly onto the face. Whereas in Creative Standard 0-0-0 the same areas are blowing out and irretrievable.

Latest effort: 

As per first comment: All identical exposures and custom WB settings for each individual pair of shots. The first shot was on a very dull morning with little light coming through the windows. The second shot was in a harsh late morning sun that was coming through the trees. The third shot was indirect sunlight coming through a net curtain. When using the Creative setting (Standard setting) in each of the three shots, there was no clipping to the right showing on the histogram but when brought into FCPX I could see blown out highlights. The light fall-off using EOSHD Pro Color is excellent and no such problems with clipping highlights arose. I was concerned a little by the purplish hue in their lips (and have heard this mentioned on the forum) but only realised afterwards that both my kids had been messing with coloured lip balm before I started filming, so will re-test at a later date just in case something still needs to be adjusted. The oranges, again, are accurate - the plane in the first shot is as red as it is orange and not a yellowish orange as shown in the Standard example. The greens in the second shot are accurate when using EOSHD Pro Color but heavily yellowed or lightened when using Standard setting.

2 hours ago, Davey said:

Latest effort: 

As per first comment: All identical exposures and custom WB settings for each individual pair of shots. The first shot was on a very dull morning with little light coming through the windows. The second shot was in a harsh late morning sun that was coming through the trees. The third shot was indirect sunlight coming through a net curtain. When using the Creative setting (Standard setting) in each of the three shots, there was no clipping to the right showing on the histogram but when brought into FCPX I could see blown out highlights. The light fall-off using EOSHD Pro Color is excellent and no such problems with clipping highlights arose. I was concerned a little by the purplish hue in their lips (and have heard this mentioned on the forum) but only realised afterwards that both my kids had been messing with coloured lip balm before I started filming, so will re-test at a later date just in case something still needs to be adjusted. The oranges, again, are accurate - the plane in the first shot is as red as it is orange and not a yellowish orange as shown in the Standard example. The greens in the second shot are accurate when using EOSHD Pro Color but heavily yellowed or lightened when using Standard setting.

Looks good. But in the Eoshd pro color shots, it may just be me, but the boys face looks quite magenta or red. I have been having issues with overly red skintones on my a6500, i shoot with color phase at 0, but still get a lot of red, though other reds in the shot are accurately saturated. Not sure where the issue is. I don't necessarily mind it as having more saturation than less is ideal and works out in my coloring process.

Can someone please do a comparison of how the profile compares to a canon in standard profile untouched? I'm considering buying sony cameras but I want to see how far apart the color is with sony eoshd procolor vs canon out of the box

Also, has anybody tried lowering the magenta color depth to see if that resolves this magenta issue?

3 hours ago, JeremyDulac said:

Looks good. But in the Eoshd pro color shots, it may just be me, but the boys face looks quite magenta or red. I have been having issues with overly red skintones on my a6500, i shoot with color phase at 0, but still get a lot of red, though other reds in the shot are accurately saturated. Not sure where the issue is. I don't necessarily mind it as having more saturation than less is ideal and works out in my coloring process.

The girl is ill and does actually look ghostly (she's usually quite olive looking) and the lad has just finished his spell of stomach flu and getting his 'colour' back which includes blotching on his arms, hands and around his cheeks.

However, you are right - those reds are there but exaggerated when using Pro Color and washed away almost completely in the first shot when using Standard. The former is more accurate by a long shot but the red is overly prominent. Reds elsewhere in all my tests are correctly represented.

I also tried CP at 0 but found the reds behaved the same. It's as if the sensor all of a sudden has bionic sensitivity towards blood capillaries lol.

25 minutes ago, Ben J. said:

Can someone please do a comparison of how the profile compares to a canon in standard profile untouched? I'm considering buying sony cameras but I want to see how far apart the color is with sony eoshd procolor vs canon out of the box

Also, has anybody tried lowering the magenta color depth to see if that resolves this magenta issue?

MC Wedding Films posted some stills from video (Sony and Canon) on the 2nd page - might be worth asking him to do one through a PM.

My next test will involve tweaking magenta IF it isn't error on my part, which it might well be as I have only just started using a grey card and setting custom white balances (like this week).

6 hours ago, JeremyDulac said:

Just discovered that it is better (as you say) to have more saturation to work with in post - just a minimal reduction in red hue, saturation and luminosity using Color Finale has given me correct skin tones whilst not affecting reds elsewhere to any discernible degree.

So I had a shoot today and I decided to use the EOSHD Pro Color settings with my a7s (original) to get the look mainly in camera. I'm quite pleased with how the image turned out. My settings are the a6500 settings but the color phase is set at 0. The white balance was set at 2600k for both shots.  I do think that the saturation was a bit much in the reds so I may decide to decrease my overall saturation in the camera. Overall, I'm really happy with how the profile performed for me today. I didn't quite nail the exposure I wanted on the 2nd image but I'm really liking how the colors turned out.

Screen Shot 2016-12-22 at 9.32.23 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-12-22 at 9.31.18 PM.png

8 hours ago, Davey said:

Just discovered that it is better (as you say) to have more saturation to work with in post - just a minimal reduction in red hue, saturation and luminosity using Color Finale has given me correct skin tones whilst not affecting reds elsewhere to any discernible degree.

Nice! Yeah same here..Premiere's lumetri has a hue/saturation curve that works great.

18 hours ago, Ben J. said:

Hey!  As Davey mentioned, go to Page 2 where I posted this exact thing!  I didn't change the magenta in the PP but I did change the Color Phase, which does something similar with the colors.

2 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

You can set it but it doesn't effect the image. Point it at something very red and you will see.

Yes you are right, I can set it but doesnt change anything, must be a bug for Sony's part or they purposely cripple it

• Administrators
5 hours ago, ntblowz said:

Yes you are right, I can set it but doesnt change anything, must be a bug for Sony's part or they purposely cripple it

It may be that they have even fixed it as S-Gamut is supposed to be a standard colour gamut and having footage shot with all kinds of differently tuned S-Gamuts probably confuses the hell out of professional colourists!

The FS5 is the same as A6300. As is A6500.

A7S II however we can still play :)

Hi Andrew

I bought your eoshd pro color for sony. It was first version.  I am still waiting for the latest one and still no response from you.  Should I wait? I hope you don’t want me to pay second time.

I have  original sony a7s.
2016-12-05 I paid for first version. Let me know if you need transaction ID.
regards
Andrzej Korbus

On 12/16/2016 at 11:51 PM, Don Kotlos said:

Unfortunately Picture Profiles do not give the same colors between jpeg stills & movies.

This is one of the main reasons I don't shoot in manual mode since I cannot preview the colors and WB correctly. 

Finally got a chance to do a quick tripod test. Clearly these images are different, which suggests Don is right that PPs don't work the same in M mode when taking photos. 

EOSHD Pro Color:

31720935482_a3709a0e0e_b.jpg

M mode photo with PP setting as EOSHD Pro Color:

31720941952_1cb9afa715_k.jpg