EOSHD Pro Color for Sony Cameras

tomsemiterrific

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I feel like I am getting over saturated skin tones on my a6500 with the new settings compared to my a7rii which is able to use sgamut...it sucks they disabled color depth adjustments for sgamut. I notice skin tones maintain the right depth on the a7rii even with other heavily saturated things in the shot, but the a6500 seems to crank up saturation across all my skintones as well. 

Are there anymore tweaks intended for this profile?

2 hours ago, teddoman said:

Both are in the same pdf purchase

are we talking s-log2 or s-gamut. I only see cine gammas in the pdf. I am quite happy with the settings, but as mentioned before: skin tone is good but lip color a little too pronounced. maybe tone it down a little? but what setting.

31 minutes ago, Stefan Flos said:

are we talking s-log2 or s-gamut. I only see cine gammas in the pdf. I am quite happy with the settings, but as mentioned before: skin tone is good but lip color a little too pronounced. maybe tone it down a little? but what setting.

Scroll down the PDF of the ORIGINAL - I have them on my original but they are not listed on the UPDATE version.

53 minutes ago, Jordan Palmer Wiens said:

Sony A7rii 4K 23.976fps & 1080p 60fps

Voigtlander 40mm f2 wide open (S35)

EOSHD LOG

4300/5500K

FilmConvert KD 5207 Vis3, 80% Film Color/Curve, 50% 35mm Full Frame Grain + Tweaks in Lumetri

I don't want to sound too picky but this is definitely not a good example. I am not sure if it is the EOSHD LOG or the post work (I know its not the camera) , but a look at the vector-scope can be very informative about the quality of the skin tones:

Screen Shot 2016-12-14 at 1.41.30 PM.png

After some corrections it looks a bit better but again the skin tones are all over the place. 

Screen Shot 2016-12-14 at 1.41.50 PM.png

More examples for both Cine & Log modes are needed in this thread. 

it also looks like your color temp is sub optimal also. info on that?!

here is one with the eoshd setting. basically ok but the lips are a little too pronounced. the objective is straight out of camera good color and skin. if I spend an hour color grading slog 2 with luts and my color checker I get great results, but I don't have the time to spend that amound of time on every shot I take. That's why I am tweaking and testing and really like the results of the eoshd settings.

image.png

On 13-12-2016 at 8:02 AM, Stefan Flos said:

Hi Andrew, spent yesterday evening testing the eoshd settings on both my A7ii and rx100v and both on photos Raw processed in capture one pro for sony 10 and video. The results are very promising. 

When you shoot raw stills, in-camera color settings/profiles (including EOSHD profiles) don't matter. Color profiles only affect JPEG and video.

13 minutes ago, cantsin said:

When you shoot raw stills, in-camera color settings/profiles (including EOSHD profiles) don't matter. Color profiles only affect JPEG and video.

One of the side benefits will be nice SOOC jpegs. I shoot raw + jpeg, so that's definitely a plus for me.

• Administrators
6 hours ago, Stefan Flos said:

it also looks like your color temp is sub optimal also. info on that?!

here is one with the eoshd setting. basically ok but the lips are a little too pronounced. the objective is straight out of camera good color and skin. if I spend an hour color grading slog 2 with luts and my color checker I get great results, but I don't have the time to spend that amound of time on every shot I take. That's why I am tweaking and testing and really like the results of the eoshd settings.

There are a few usage issues I'm spotting on this thread

The pronounced lips - You've got crazy magenta reds, from using the wrong settings. This comes from a Sony bug with S-Gamut that was fixed on the newer cameras. Are you using the original A7S Stefan? If so try switching to the A6500 settings in the updated guide and see if that gives you proper reds and not purple lipstick. Also make sure your white balance isn't too cool. That seems to be what triggers the magenta S-Gamut bug on the A7S.

You're welcome to email me directly from now on if you have a problem and I'll be happy to help. By posting these broken images in public it only makes the whole thing look broken and it may put people off. I don't want that to happen as I know the results are absolutely fantastic looking when used correctly.

6 hours ago, Don Kotlos said:

I don't want to sound too picky but this is definitely not a good example.

It is up to the user to grade EOSHD LOG correctly.

I've taken it out of the updated guide because it conflicts with the main purpose and aim of EOSHD Pro Color which is to fix colour!

With LOG it is too easy to break colour again in post.

Also it is confusing and people think it should be used as some form of alternative straight out of camera colour profile or look... NOPE

I am not sure if it is the EOSHD LOG or the post work (I know its not the camera) , but a look at the vector-scope can be very informative about the quality of the skin tones:

No they're not.

After some corrections it looks a bit better but again the skin tones are all over the place. 

"After some corrections".

It's LOG. Of course you have to grade it!

More examples for both Cine & Log modes are needed in this thread. 

Don.

It is almost as if some of you are going out of your way to pick out problems that don't even exist!

You seem to know about scopes so surely you do realise the whole purpose of a LOG profile is it is supposed to be graded and colour corrected, so running scopes on the ungraded raw LOG footage makes no sense and tells you nothing about colour / skintones at all. It just isn't meant to be viewed that way as a final result. It is not the out of camera look.

The "EOSHD CINEMA" profile is the out of camera look. The "EOSHD LOG" is a colour patch for S-LOG 2.

I will do something else with a Sony LOG profile soon and it is exciting. It is not coming back to the EOSHD Pro Color guide. Wait and see...

15 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Don.

It is almost as if some of you are going out of your way to pick out problems that don't even exist!

Andrew I think you misunderstood the point of my post which was :

15 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

By posting these broken images in public it only makes the whole thing look broken and it may put people off. I don't want that to happen as I know the results are absolutely fantastic looking when used correctly.

exactly that. 

I applaud your effort to provide consistent good colors across many Sony cameras, cause I know how many hours I have spent trying to optimize the colors of just the A7rII. 

Cheers

thanks for the reply Andrew. I will do some more testing and mail you the results directly. I don't want to put off anybody, I am very satisfied with the results so far, moreover your quest is the right path: getting straight out of camera good and beautifull results to be used without grading or luts in post. and matched results using multi cam. I did a lot of tests already, using a color checker to compare results, but I just don't have the time and experience to go that far under the hood of sonys camera.