EOS M5

bigfoot

Looking forward to test that combo too - OIS lenses should work great with the Canon digital IS + having STM motors for silent autofocus. 

On paper it look like a sweet vlog combo ! Even the rim light on the 28mm might help a bit to fill in a bit of facial shadow in low light situation...

I will probably wait after christmas before ordering it. I feel like the price might drop a bit at that point. I wouldn't be surprise by canon to get that out for christmas at premium price and adjust it according to the sales responds 

4 minutes ago, kidzrevil said:

If its anything like my xc10 35mbps is laughable. Needs 50mbps and better to be honest

That would be a good sweet spot. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
17 hours ago, mercer said:

Sorry, should have added I don't have an a7s so I don't know if it's possible. 

Yeah Canon video is soft, but in some ways that's why I kinda like it. Vintage lenses add some nice character. Good color... Idk... I'm probably just feeling nostalgic.

Same. I got used to that Canon soft look but I definitely can understand how it can be off putting coming from a camera like a Sony A6300 or something. The Canon's look more like vintage film to me like you said..I like it alot. Thinking about it I wouldn't mind this camera with an external recorder hmmm

9 minutes ago, kidzrevil said:

Same. I got used to that Canon soft look but I definitely can understand how it can be off putting coming from a camera like a Sony A6300 or something. The Canon's look more like vintage film to me like you said..I like it alot. Thinking about it I wouldn't mind this camera with an external recorder hmmm

If I remember right; the canon rep in the interview with dan chung from newshooter said the hdmi out isnt clean

13 minutes ago, bigfoot said:

If I remember right; the canon rep in the interview with dan chung from newshooter said the hdmi out isnt clean

Damn looks like we will just have to use some really soft vintage lenses with this thing. I would use m42 lenses on this thing and treat it like a t3i

3 minutes ago, kidzrevil said:

Damn looks like we will just have to use some really soft vintage lenses with this thing. I would use m42 lenses on this thing and treat it like a t3i

yep! still think the sensor is a good update from the 18mp that canon recycled at so many different same same sauces. 

That is according to andrew's opinion on the 80d 1080p files - ex; better shadow recovery, bit sharper maybe, some moire and aliasing. 

I wonder if the 3x crop mode made it down to the M5 or they cripple that one too 

21 minutes ago, kidzrevil said:

Yup. Use Prolost, EOSHD-Log or one of the Vision profiles and some vintage lenses. And when you want to run and gun, the 22mm for DPAF... that touch drag af looks really promising. 

9 minutes ago, bigfoot said:

Sharpening is definitely on the standard setting ! Although it's not as crazy as the canon official promo shot in brazil - those edges ! 

Thanks for finding this... it's not bad. I was interested in a point and shoot a couple months back and after watching a few videos, and reading some reviews, I was leaning towards the Canon G7X mk ii. At $700, I decided to wait for the Christmas price, but it only dropped about $20, so I decided against it, but I was pretty impressed with the video quality with that, so I am glad to see the M5 is looking better. It should be a fun little camera, obviously not for everybody and I'm unsure if I would get it if it was going to be my only camera, but as a grab and go, run and gun, vintage lens pocket cam... it can be useful.

So far landscape shots looks quite terrible and close up look quite alright ! Hard to say what setting was use .. i know t2i just look about as horrible when sharpening is to the floor. 

There's a lot of customization possible if you go trough this youtube channel, plenty of short videos.  

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCi95pEv0HrV0onnWD9v1VKQ

low light AF and the bluetooth connection seems great 

one last one with the macro... plenty of shots on the channel there 

• Administrators

Be careful judging the camera from these sample videos. You can't just an image from so many close-up shots. The food video looks better because of the close-ups. As soon as you go to infinity with wider lens, the EOS M5 and 80D resolution falls apart with a heap of moire and digitally sharpened softness.

Looks good on the end of a telephoto or a macro lens though.

5 minutes ago, bamigoreng said:

EOS M5 footage? I doubt it.

80D is ok. Expect the M5 to have similar video quality.

Idk, that's what I originally thought as well, but the bitrate specs are drastically different. The 80D, according to BH, shoots 96mbps in All-I, whereas the M5 only shoots 24mbps at 24p and 35mbps at 60p. 

I think it's a safe bet to assume the video will be somewhere between the GX7 mk ii and the 80D. It basically is an interchangeable lens compact camera with some mirrorless bells and whistles. I found this video from the GX7 mk ii and I would expect better than this... and this isn't bad at all.