EOS M5

bigfoot

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

There's really just not enough video samples out there to say for sure, but I must admit I am intrigued by the M5 and regularly look for uploaded video samples.

But again since it hasn't been released yet, there have been few samples uploaded. But I do think it could be a cool camera for the reasons you noted (unsure if it would make a good B-Cam to the a7s)

And also I think it could be a great camera if you're looking to create visual work similar to Kendy Ty's t2i videos.

Same here!

kai on youtube drop a video recently on it. It seems like a good all around. And I know to that a EF-m to EF speedbooster is physically possible ! 

For me the bluetooth / wifi connection with IOS device and the 5axis would be amazing. 

I'm tottaly aware that both color science are quite polarized but I don't see why I wouldnt be able to match my a7s with a lot of settings tweaks

Or even tweak the m5 to a cooler balance with a modified version of "c-log"

I know it can be a lot of work to match different sensor or even sensor size but it's doable to a point where the general public doesn't see any difference. I've been matching different cam since dvx100 and gl2 with raw timelapse from dslr, gopro and such. 

That would represent a lot of work to match 3 differents kinda log / sensor size 1080p60  including the gopro 3+ Protune for drone work. Once the sauce done though... Great small and efficient kit. 

A6500 would be a much more casual b-cam choice for most but isnt very exciting as a challenge + i don't want to fall into the slowmo trap.

Then next summer ad up a sony f3 

1 hour ago, bigfoot said:

Same here!

kai on youtube drop a video recently on it. It seems like a good all around. And I know to that a EF-m to EF speedbooster is physically possible ! 

For me the bluetooth / wifi connection with IOS device and the 5axis would be amazing. 

I'm tottaly aware that both color science are quite polarized but I don't see why I wouldnt be able to match my a7s with a lot of settings tweaks

Or even tweak the m5 to a cooler balance with a modified version of "c-log"

Sorry, should have added I don't have an a7s so I don't know if it's possible. 

10 minutes ago, Inazuma said:

On paper I like this camera a lot because of the DPAF and ability to use EF lenses but it uses the same sensor as the 80d with a slightly upgraded engine, so your best bet on image quality is to look at 80d stuff. The video is too soft for me.

Yeah Canon video is soft, but in some ways that's why I kinda like it. Vintage lenses add some nice character. Good color... Idk... I'm probably just feeling nostalgic.

55 minutes ago, Inazuma said:

On paper I like this camera a lot because of the DPAF and ability to use EF lenses but it uses the same sensor as the 80d with a slightly upgraded engine, so your best bet on image quality is to look at 80d stuff. The video is too soft for me.

Yep - DPAF is definitely the main selling point for me regarding vlogging. 

That combine with touchscreen autofocus and iphone monitoring/focus puller. Will be able to strap it barely anywhere and get the shot I want 

Soft is good, I have the a7s and a shogun if I need sharp 4k footage anyway

I will probably get it with the 28mm macro first 

50 minutes ago, mercer said:

Sorry, should have added I don't have an a7s so I don't know if it's possible. 

Everything is possible - might not be a piece of cake but it's possible. 

Like i've said, I don't need 100% match either 

1 hour ago, Inazuma said:

The bit rate is 35 mbps, the same as in consumer point and shoots, so don't be too optimistic.

To me, like Andrew said, this is just a mirrorless 80D. I don't really see the added benefit of it being mirrorless much, unless they would've given it all the mirrorless bells 'n whistles. There aren't many lenses and the ones that are there aren't all super compact or anything. So... people really start using it like an 80D with an adapter and EF lenses... ok, so maybe all the features? Well, no 4K, no slowmo, no nothing. 'But it has stabilization!' lol, yeah digital one. Such a joke. And have you seen prices? It's not exactly cheap either. And the tilty flippy screen folds downwards... who the hell came up with that. So... they borrowed the design from the G5 X, but failed to copy the vari-angle screen. I just don't get it. Might as well get the 80D already? Ha, or better yet, pick out something different entirely. It's a few generations away from being an actual viable concept. It's only straight out of camera colors and dualpixel AF keeping Canon alive at this point, folks get told at stores to buy one because they can mess up the least themselves. Other cameras might actually require a little knowledge and skills, but then get the far superior results. Panasonic, Sony, heck even Samsung innovated a great deal by going mirrorless. With Canon... it's just more of the same. I just don't really get it and therefor I won't get it.

8 minutes ago, Cinegain said:

To me, like Andrew said, this is just a mirrorless 80D. I don't really see the added benefit of it being mirrorless much, unless they would've given it all the mirrorless bells 'n whistles. There aren't many lenses and the ones that are there aren't all super compact or anything. So... people really start using it like an 80D with an adapter and EF lenses... ok, so maybe all the features? Well, no 4K, no slowmo, no nothing. 'But it has stabilization!' lol, yeah digital one. Such a joke. And have you seen prices? It's not exactly cheap either. And the tilty flippy screen folds downwards... who the hell came up with that. So... they borrowed the design from the G5 X, but failed to copy the vari-angle screen. I just don't get it. Might as well get the 80D already? Ha, or better yet, pick out something different entirely. It's a few generations away from being an actual viable concept. It's only straight out of camera colors and dualpixel AF keeping Canon alive at this point, folks get told at stores to buy one because they can mess up the least themselves. Other cameras might actually require a little knowledge and skills, but then get the far superior results. Panasonic, Sony, heck even Samsung innovated a great deal by going mirrorless. With Canon... it's just more of the same. I just don't really get it and therefor I won't get it.

Did canon piss in your cereal ? It's totally fine if the tool doesn't fit your need/budget, no need to start shooting at them with a russian semi auto. 

Almost the same specs as a 80d with close to be half the weight. I pack for long expedition in the backcountry... to me it's a great advantage of the m5. Every Gram make a difference on my back... EF-M have the same Flange distance as the E mount (18mm) and a mount that is .4mm bigger. Technically EF-M is one of the most adaptable mount out there. 

M5 offer bluetooth/wifi constant connection - 80d does not. 

The flippy screen at the bottom is only product segmentation. The sony flippy screen does not open on the side and nobody really cares or rant about it....  

EVF versus OVF and It has peaking ..

Touch screen autofocus is something sony is trying to copy but are still far from being there. And I don't even need to talk about the connectivity to wifi for remote shooting. Sony is a few years behind. 

I have 4k already .... and If i'm not able to tell my story with 60fps, I won't be able to tell it in 120fps either....  I don't even need to talk about rolling shutter. 60fps with little rolling shutter is perfect for my need. If I really need more, I can use twixtor or rent a slow mo cam. 

In premiere I find myself using a lot the wrap stabiliser ... I don't see why it would be such a bad thing to have one optimize by Canon. 

Features is one thing.... real world usability is something else. Price is subjective - Canon seems to hold a lot more value in the used market (maybe not on the M series, will see). Honestly, I would be piss at sony if I was a a6300 owner. And have you saw the price of that a6500 ? it's almost 1800$ here with tax... far stretch from 600$ of the a6000. 

I'm not ok with 791831 same model of a T2i but this is a small step in a good direction ;)

It is definitely 10 M lenses and a couple of generations away (or a ML treatement away!) but I am glad they did make the first serious mirrorless camera. We need all the players producing good cameras and up the game

For most people dual af and color science (translate= nice pleasing pictures) is all they want. The price will go down really soon, and the M will be more attractive than the a600(a6300) in no time.

Also, the myriads of Canon dSLR owners would probably prefer a really capable mirrorless for casual use and/or backup camera, especially while the EF adapter is just under 99$, or given for free with a M5 in some markets. I would, if I was a Canon die hard fun, and there are a lot of those!

It is funny, that the first M was the one that made me really interested in mirrorless cameras for the very first time, I thought it would be amazing to have one of those as a B cam, the reality was far different though, and since then , I sticked with NX.

• Administrators
12 minutes ago, bigfoot said:

Did canon piss in your cereal ? It's totally fine if the tool doesn't fit your need/budget, no need to start shooting at them with a russian semi auto.

Are you pouring red wine on yours?

Almost the same specs as a 80d with close to be half the weight. I pack for long expedition in the backcountry... to me it's a great advantage of the m5. Every Gram make a difference on my back... EF-M have the same Flange distance as the E mount (18mm) and a mount that is .4mm bigger. Technically EF-M is one of the most adaptable mount out there.

Except 90% of the weight of the camera bag will be the EF lenses.

Replacing 80D with a M5 body hardly makes any difference, especially as the 80D is not a particularly heavy camera to start with. It's not a 1D X!

I have 4k already .... and If i'm not able to tell my story with 60fps, I won't be able to tell it in 120fps either....  I don't even need to talk about rolling shutter. 60fps with little rolling shutter is perfect for my need. If I really need more, I can use twixtor or rent a slow mo cam.

It's not so much the lack of 4K, it's the moire that's the problem and how electronic the image looks.

In premiere I find myself using a lot the wrap stabiliser ... I don't see why it would be such a bad thing to have one optimize by Canon.

Bang goes the renderless timeline and you have to re-render quite a bit when changing effects, trimming clip, re-timing, etc.

Olympus E-M1 II performance 5 axis IBIS is where it's at for handheld stabilisation.

Features is one thing.... real world usability is something else. Price is subjective - Canon seems to hold a lot more value in the used market (maybe not on the M series, will see). Honestly, I would be piss at sony if I was a a6300 owner. And have you saw the price of that a6500 ? it's almost 1800$ here with tax... far stretch from 600$ of the a6000.

That's true, good point.

I'm not ok with 791831 same model of a T2i but this is a small step in a good direction ;)

It is going in the right direction, I'll give you that.

Now if they can move the memory card slot from the battery compartment to the side, that would be another good step towards a more serious mirrorless camera.

36 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Are you pouring red wine on yours?

Good one andrew ! :P 

It might seems like that - I'm not saying the m5 is a great video camera either, have it use though (For me it's going to be an expensive gopro kinda camera and for youtube). I will pair it with the 28mm macro IS only to start with. Very light combo with a standard FOV. Much lighter than my a7s with a zeiss 25mm. 

When I shop around for camera and lenses - I shop mainly for a usable sensor and try to pair it with a useful or favorite lens and stick with it. Weird, but I like it. Each sensor deserve it's own prime in my kit. 

The zeiss haven't left my a7s for the last 6 month witch ultimately will end up in front of a used nikon d750. Then I'm waiting for the laowa 15mm f2 FE to glue it in front of the a7s. 

I had a 400mm L on my 7d for wildlife witch I'm gonna switch to a 100L macro i think (3x crop mode raw video)

Each combo have a different usage in mind. Then I pick one or 2 combo depending of the shooting situation i'm planning. 

38 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Olympus E-M1 II performance 5 axis IBIS is where it's at for handheld stabilisation.

If I had 3200$ laying around - EM1 mk2 and the 12-100 would definitely be part of the kit

28 minutes ago, bigfoot said:

Good one andrew ! :P 

It might seems like that - I'm not saying the m5 is a great video camera either, have it use though (For me it's going to be an expensive gopro kinda camera and for youtube). I will pair it with the 28mm macro IS only to start with. Very light combo with a standard FOV. Much lighter than my a7s with a zeiss 25mm. 

When I shop around for camera and lenses - I shop mainly for a usable sensor and try to pair it with a useful or favorite lens and stick with it. Weird, but I like it. Each sensor deserve it's own prime in my kit. 

The zeiss haven't left my a7s for the last 6 month witch ultimately will end up in front of a used nikon d750. Then I'm waiting for the laowa 15mm f2 FE to glue it in front of the a7s. 

I had a 400mm L on my 7d for wildlife witch I'm gonna switch to a 100L macro i think (3x crop mode raw video)

Each combo have a different usage in mind. Then I pick one or 2 combo depending of the shooting situation i'm planning. 

If I had 3200$ laying around - EM1 mk2 and the 12-100 would definitely be part of the kit

The M5's 5-axis should be as good as the XC10's and you can walk with the XC10 and mimick steadycam shots... can that be done with the Olympus? I know the GX85's doesn't work that well. 

Just now, mercer said:

The M5's 5-axis should be as good as the XC10's and you can walk with the XC10 and mimick steadycam shots... can that be done with the Olympus? I know the GX85's doesn't work that well. 

Olympus is way ahead of every body in term of stabilisation. 

It's pretty much all they have in term of innovation ...  6.5stop - 5 sec. handheld shot is possible 

according to Olympus engineer - the earth rotation is now the limiting factor to push the gyroscope further. 

28 minutes ago, bigfoot said:

Olympus is way ahead of every body in term of stabilisation. 

It's pretty much all they have in term of innovation ...  6.5stop - 5 sec. handheld shot is possible 

according to Olympus engineer - the earth rotation is now the limiting factor to push the gyroscope further. 

I'm not knocking the Olympus or the Panasonic GX85, I really like that camera and it's IBIS, I'm just saying that the GX85's mechanical IBIS is good but it was no match for Canon's electronic IS on the XC10. Assuming the IS in the M5 is the same tech, then it should be excellent.

However, I do think the M5 is overpriced, right now. This camera should be listed as body only for $799. I would have sold my GX85 and preordered the M5 had it been.

Canon mirrorless has the best focus peaking I have ever used, well it's comparable to the BMPCC, but it blows away Panasonic's which can sometimes be outright bad. 

Since this is Canon's first real step into mirrorless, I assume they will start getting more lenses, but for now the 22mm will suffice and should work okay with the DPAF. The 28mm macro that you're planning on getting gets great reviews and has OIS, so the M5's eis will work even better.

I think it starts shipping this week, so video samples should be pouring in and I look forward to seeing what you can do with it.