Premiere CC 2017 proxy workflow is amaaaazing

dbp

Good god, I just tried this for the first time tonight on a new wedding edit. I have a pretty ancient system by current standards (i7 2600k, 16gb ram, geforce GTX570)

Editing a mix of acvhd 1080p and GH4 4k files. Edits were always a chore because they were sluggish, but man it just flies through the proxy edits. Such a better editing experience, and way easier to just focus on the process and be creative. It's really freeing. Toggling back and forth between proxies to full res is really easy as well. It takes more space, and takes time to transcode but way worth it to me. My god this is practically game changing for me, where have you been all my life??

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

This is a click of a button back and forth. Not to mention rendering always uses the original files.  The global FX button is handy too. I'm really digging this. I was beginning to hate editing, and I realize now how much of it was a result of dealing with the sluggishness. 

Doesn't it take a day or two to transcode all of your footage though? I know you can do it in the background, but it still takes a toll on your system when you are editing. I am just not having the same experience. Oh and what codec are you transcoding to?

15 minutes ago, mojo43 said:

Doesn't it take a day or two to transcode all of your footage though? I know you can do it in the background, but it still takes a toll on your system when you are editing. I am just not having the same experience. Oh and what codec are you transcoding to?

Takes a fair bit of time, but maybe 4-5 hours total. I'm almost done transcoding this current wedding and I started like 5 hours ago I think. Honestly, it's worth it for the performance. I use one of the presets, 720p cineform. 

My computer is kinda old, so that's a big part of the issue. If I had a top of the line machine, it might be fast and smooth enough with the native files that I wouldn't bother with proxies. I mean, I can and have for years gone straight to editing in Premiere, it's just slow. Workable, but slow and annoying. 

29 minutes ago, mojo43 said:

RIght, I guess that's my problem... I usually come home with 1TB and the transcoding takes over a full day of time. I guess I need a transcoding machine. My complaint is that I don't need to do any of that in Edius.  I go straight to editing.

Well, if you can afford the equipment to shoot 1TB per day, then you can afford a proper editing computer. But in case you have a cheap m43 4K body, a powerful editing machine is not a given and proxies work great.

Ummm, I don't know where I said that shoot 1 TB per day nor what money has to do with anything? 

To prove my point. Are you saying that the amount of footage that someone shoots per day has a monetary value. And if so is there a formula for it, like 1 TB/day = $1000 :)

I am on the road constantly and editing on a laptop lags for me using Premiere, thus I am discussing the proxy workflow.

Then the issue is again much non-existent - do transcoding every night and you'll come home from the road ready to edit (or be ready to edit footage from the previous day).

And yes, if you can afford to shoot 1 TB per day (costly highend camera, costly portable storage etc.) you must be better off economically and should also be able to afford a respectable editing machine.

Avid is probably the fastest way to edit anything out there. 

I think It's closely related to their past life where it used to be the main editing platform (and probably still is...) for news and broadcast. 

I remember my time in school, using it for Telejournal exercise (30min / 1h - live studio broadcast). We would start the TJ without anything ready for capsule and non-live insert. 

The main guy on cam would receive live people in the first 5-8min then insert clips slowly once output was ready for playback and keep mixing with some live interview, sometimes buying times for the editors when they weren't on the balls.

The goal was to start from scratch few minutes before TJ with 10-15min of rush and output 2-3min live after a few minutes in the TJ - great rush of emotion it was to edit those clip and you become so quick on shortcuts 

1 hour ago, bigfoot said:

Avid is probably the fastest way to edit anything out there. 

I think It's closely related to their past life where it used to be the main editing platform (and probably still is...) for news and broadcast. 

I remember my time in school, using it for Telejournal exercise (30min / 1h - live studio broadcast). We would start the TJ without anything ready for capsule and non-live insert. 

The main guy on cam would receive live people in the first 5-8min then insert clips slowly once output was ready for playback and keep mixing with some live interview, sometimes buying times for the editors when they weren't on the balls.

The goal was to start from scratch few minutes before TJ with 10-15min of rush and output 2-3min live after a few minutes in the TJ - great rush of emotion it was to edit those clip and you become so quick on shortcuts 

Huh? ☺

I don't want to sound like a wisenheimer, but I predicted the success of an easy proxy workflow in Premiere since the first rumors of it's implementation. Good for all Premiere users. Allow me to remind you of the days when Premiere supported the proprietary Nvidia Mercury Engine. I could (but I won't) dig out some lengthy threads in which proud Premiere owners (you used to buy it) poured scorn on us FCP people. The mark of a professional NLE, they said, is the ability to edit the native codec. Now it's the other way around. "X" lets you skip intermediates because it's so streamlined, you use proxies mainly for multicam. The mark of a smart editor is that he uses everything that let's him work with less problems.

Grandma Adobe abandons one of her last fortresses. What's next? Tracks?