mounting Iscorama

jeffpb7

What is the best method for mounting an Iscorama to other lenses? I mounted mine with a redstan mount, but I'm not able to use the knobs to adjust the alignment. Would using step rings solve this? Are there any thick step rings, or would I have to use a bunch of them? Lastly, does anyone know the back anamorphic thread size? Thanks!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The buttons only work when using the original 50mm lens. With the clamp the buttons don't work, because in order for the buttons to work the clamp needs to be held on by the 49mm threads. I can loosen the Redstan clamp and align it that way, but I'd like to use the buttons, so I need to get some couplers(I think). The only ones I find on ebay are very thin, unless I buy some diopters and break out the glass.

The buttons only work when using the original 50mm lens. With the clamp the buttons don't work, because in order for the buttons to work the clamp needs to be held on by the 49mm threads. I can loosen the Redstan clamp and align it that way, but I'd like to use the buttons, so I need to get some couplers(I think). The only ones I find on ebay are very thin, unless I buy some diopters and break out the glass.

I use an Iscorama-specific Redstan clamp and my Iscorama (Pentax mount) is easily realigned by pressing the buttons and then rotating the barrel. After playing with many lenses that don't do this, it's a nice little perk. I am not really sure that I understand why it is not working for you.

@jeff.  it sounds like you are using a clamp that uses 3 bolts to attach your iscorama.  so the bolts are gripping the rear element housing which needs to be able to rotate.  you need to get a mount that screws to your 49mm thread on your iscorama and then onto your taking lens.  redstan sell these.  

Thanks for the replies... yep, I'm using a 3 bolt redstan mount. I just ordered a cheap pack of 49mm diopters to stack and screw on after I remove the glass, but the redstan Iscorama mount sounds a lot better... I didn't know they made one. I also need to find some lens support, because the Isorama moves a little when I rack focus with a follow focus, because the Jupiter 9 it's mounted to has a little play in it.  Thank you all for the help, I really appreciate it!

I have gone back and forth with Alan and his redstan clamps. It seems he's abandoned them as the vamp clamp is outselling and his stock is depleted... Has anyone tried a vamp clam w/an isco 36 and some contax/zeiss glass? I'm also curious what lenses to start trying, aside from the Nikon mount isco 50mm 2.8 that came with the lens. Looking forward to any guidance this forum can give...

zeiss 135 and iscorama look stunning. On Aps-c I think it is the ultimate anamorphic portrait lens combo. with a +0.5 or +0.4 diopter you cant get beautifully close, almost macro face shots.

On a related subject, if you have enough light don't feel you need to invest in an f2.8. f4 at 135mm is shallow enough!

My setup is using rings from cheap UV filters with glass removed. 49mm UV filter for the iscorama, then upsizer to 52mm. To make it easier to fit the Iscorama (and my Isco Ultrastar projection lens) I chose to go with Nikon lenses that all have 52mm filter thread. Got 50/1.8, 50/1.4, 85/2, 105/2.5 and 200/4. Depending on how close the front glass is on different lenses I need to add one extra set of uv filter rings for some lenses for some extra spacing.

Such a setup is great with the Iscorama - since then you can just align it by pressing the buttons.

So how did the 135mm look?

The 135 looked great! For some reason I was expecting it to be softer, because it seems softer than some of my other lenses, but it was very sharp at 2.8 with the Iscorama attached. I also mounted the Iscorama on a  Zeiss ZF 50mm 1.4, and it is also very sharp wide open. For some reason I can also focus closer with it, than with other lenses(about 5ft. without diopter), but I have to set the Zeiss lens to 10 meters instead of infinity.   

hey mathias
alan told me the same thing too about his stock depleting. if he stops that would be terrible. dod he say hes quitting for sure or thinking abt it. there arent any other good clamps in my opinion. the metal screw vamp clamps have cosmetically damaged my anamorphics before and arent secure enough for specific lenses. is there anyway we can all keep him in business? im just a little concerned....

Hi,

has anyone tested the Iscorama 2003 MC (Pentax k mount) on Canon 5Dmk2?

I usually use Nikon and Olympus lenses, do you think it will work with adapters?

Seller tell me that this Isco is made for 24x36 mm sensor

Thanks

The Iscorama 2003 doesn't seem like it comes apart... the Iscorama 36 for 5k looks good, but it's 5k. The Iscorama 36 that's selling for $2500 is a scam. It pops up every few weeks. Now it's $2500, but a few weeks ago it was 2k. I tried to buy it, but he sent me a phony wire transfer invoice from Ebay(I called Ebay and they don't support wire transfer), saying that he couldn't use PayPal because of his business... total BS.