Laquaglia Punto Ernesto

Hi Everyone. 
During my quest to understand how raw files work and what are the benefits of using one format over another, I never really found out a clear definitive answer. So i decided to start this topic in oder to do so.

My fundamental questions are:
A) Which raw files DON'T have baked-in white balance?
B) Is there anything as logarithmic raw files?

And the answers I have found so fare are:
A) .ari files and Magic Lantern 14bit .dng files
B) I don't consider .MXF or .R3D files to be raw but uncompressed video therefore no. Otherwise I would say that the only logarithmic raw files are MXF files

Pretty much all other kind of raw files out there turn out not to be really raw as they claim. In my opinion, I found that working with a linear file was a safer bet against blown highlights and being able to truly change white balance and at least magenta/green shifts (unfortunately no blue/amber cast in lightroom for me, only magic lantern allows you to correct that in camera :D) 

Maybe for you all the answer to this question are obvious, but I though it would be nice to have a little corner of the net with a clear cut answer to which camera does generate TRUE raw files (I am looking at YOU: RED, SONY, CANON, BLACKMAGIC )

Because, I would be pretty pissed off if i'd bought a sony f55 or a RED Raven or a Blackmagic Ursa or any other 10k+ camera and find out I can't truly change white balance in post e.g.: The lumetri panel in premiere does not do that. It only apply a azure/orange filter to the image to simulate white balance shift.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 11/30/2016 at 1:51 AM, Laquaglia Punto Ernesto said:

A) .ari files and Magic Lantern 14bit .dng files

Just FYI, I read that ML raw files are actually recorder in 14bits but encapsulated in a 16bit dng file when processed, but that doesn't change them of course :)

The lumetri panel in premiere does not do that. It only apply a azure/orange filter to the image to simulate white balance shift.

The lumetri panel is not a good example, it is far from the best tool to process raw footage. Process your RAW footage (compressed or uncompressed) in ACR (via After Effects) and you'll be able to change WB accurately.

And the answers I have found so fare are:

C) Digital Bolex ?

Thank you Justin to find interest in this post.
Magic lantern files can come in 16bit or 14bit depending how you convert them raw2cdng, mlvrawviewer and other encapsulate them in 16 bit. for example Magic Lanter RAW video converter 1.9.1 in 14bit :)

I personally use Lightroom for all my .dngs or Adobe Camera Raw. Usually I create a look in lightroom and export it in .xmp via photoshop so that I can apply it easily to all the clips once I convert them in after effects (even though I think I will migrate to resolve and simply work with .dngs that way :D )

C) Digital Bolex if I am not mistaken are 12bit dng with baked in white balance. Same as odyssey 7q+, blackmagic etc. :D