Juxx989

Philip Bloom Teases a NX-1 Test/Review? in 2016?

I just watched the video very quickly! It wasn't much, but still is mentioning by people (Max Yurev does that as well lately).

The NX1 in Europe is not the 2nd most expensive, is the same as M5 and 80D (or less, depending where you shop, it was much less for me one year ago) and much less than 6500, and the Canon's are not even close, the Sony has its - major - disadvantages (which I banned in dpr Sony forum just mentioning them!).

I just noticed a few months old NX1+16-50pz ended on ebay without even a hit, for 899€, a 18months official European waranty camera plus one of the best piezo electric kit lenses around and a few extra. Doesn't this combo worth 500€ less money than body only a6300??!! Then you adapt some manual lenses, and you are ready to create big time. Or even buy a 10 fish eye/30/45 for cheap and for great performance.

If you put all the Canon dual pixel AF cameras (C100mkII etc) then NX is just under Sony, but Sony is just under half a dozen Canon cameras. Tell a Sony fanatic that his brand new Sony camera that HAsN'T received yet, has 7th or 8th best AF system, he will suicide-bomb you!

Plus, in the video, 1) some times the system was behaving randomly, and the adapted lenses worked terribly in the Sonys, another myth exposed?

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
9 hours ago, Marco Tecno said:

To me, the guy totally lost its credibility when he mentioned the a7-mk2 as the best hybrid. So-so video,  subpar slowmo, not so good af and slow bursts. Where is it the best? Perhaps for those having shooting still panos as their main priority.

Where did he mention that the a7mk2 was the best hybrid? I see that he said the best hybrid, for him, was the a7R2. I think you misread his post as a7mk2, but he was still referring to the a7R2. Philip Bloom has a lot of credibility and definitely knows how to get the best out of cameras. He's been doing this professionally for a LONG time. 

It must be a spelling mistake from Marco as the A7ii has only price as its advantage, but still his opinion stands; and if you add terrible ergonomics (don't forget that you put full frame lenses on that thing, ornl adapted L)  menu system, battery drainage, heat issues etc, then you realize that Rii has the best sensor for photos, Sii the best sensor for videos, but overal they are to mediocre to considered as the "best". They are not that versatile, for a lot (if not most) people though, all that matters is sensors.

I disagree completely, especially when I am working, all these little things matter and I am not confident to use any of those cameras as my primary one, except maybe short films, or such projects, and then again, I choose a better dp and better lighting equipment, and the S is not neccesary.

The NX1 is not a better hybrid than the a7rii... what are you people smoking? The Sony is full frame, with a 42mpx sensor, has a proper log profile, better with lowlight, 5-axis IBIS, better lens selection... it's not even close. The NX1 is a great camera, I sometimes wish I didn't sell my NX500, but their camera division is discontinued and abandoned. For an NX user, the next logical step is Sony.

Actually, I'm unsure if the NX1 is a better hybrid than the a6300. It's really questionable compared to the a6500.

1 hour ago, Kisaha said:

It must be a spelling mistake from Marco as the A7ii has only price as its advantage, but still his opinion stands; and if you add terrible ergonomics (don't forget that you put full frame lenses on that thing, ornl adapted L)  menu system, battery drainage, heat issues etc, then you realize that Rii has the best sensor for photos, Sii the best sensor for videos, but overal they are to mediocre to considered as the "best". They are not that versatile, for a lot (if not most) people though, all that matters is sensors.

I disagree completely, especially when I am working, all these little things matter and I am not confident to use any of those cameras as my primary one, except maybe short films, or such projects, and then again, I choose a better dp and better lighting equipment, and the S is not neccesary.

Yup, sorry it was my mistake here on eoshd, while I still think nx1 ** as a whole ** is vastly superior to a7r2. Of course it depe ds on how one weights the advantages, but...the a7r2 is quite poor in several situations (eg sport photography, video slowmo) while nx1 is not 'poor' in any situation. 

#mercer

Sorry, but you can't compare the NX1 with the Sony abominations. To even mention the NX1 with the a6300 in the same sentence shows that you haven't use, at least one of those (or both).

The IBIS (supposed to be 5 stops, people at Sony forums talk about 2) and touch screen (which as you know, is the worst in industry right now, worst than any other touch screen offering) of a6500 is giving points in the Sony (that a6300 lacks completely, so..), but again the Sony IBIS is not that further away from NX1+S lens DIS-dual IS (ofcourse it is better than DIS, but it is not Olympus IBIS let's say, that is million miles away from DIS+OIS) and the touch capabilities of NX are (were) best in industry (m4/3 and Canon catched up here, but still..). So, I give it a tie here. Better low light performance for the a6500, gets a point, and a big one, but in everything else the Sony is failing miserably or completely, or almost.

The next logical step is Panasonic, if you don't mind the smaller sensor (or if a variable sensor is used), Fuji in the next Xt-2, or Canon M in 3 generations time. Sony actually is the furthest on the horizon. Except they really nail it on the a7000 (new body, menu, operating system, perfect touch screen implementation, a few more native lenses, bigger battery, better heat management, much much better ergonomics etc).

You choose to ignore all the negatives. I am avoiding using mirrorless Sony cameras for the reasons already expressed, my ways differ than other people's, just expressing personal experiences as I have worked with most systems and cameras.

I haven't with a7Rii, because I can not see the point. In what case I need 42 megapixels, which is the selling point of this camera. When we need anything like it (it have never happened), in general for big prints we use Nikon.

I have used the Sii a couple of times, a bit impressive freak camera, doesn't do much, except incredible ISO (which I do not need. People doing the parties in weddings love this cam though), again for the price, I rather use the excellent C100mkII (have you seen the low light capabilities of this camera?).

A6300, 3rd camera for weddings, drains battery like crazy, couldn't find anything on the menu (again, everytime I use one of those), good package with the 18-105/4f (that lens is the best value for money Sony), we used NX1/GH4 for the religious ceremony, a6300 in the scorching hot Greek summer, is like you are searching for troubles. 

Used the A7ii a couple of times this year, because of the IBIS (the battery was dissapearing fast with IBIS on) second camera on a wedding and as a photo camera. Nothing impressive.

So yeah, greatsensors, not great "cameras" per se.

We passed the a7Sii for the very first time for Canon C100markII, second time for what (eventually) became 3 NX cameras, lenses and other accessories. Third time this summer considering a a7Sii, we choose with my business partner the JVC LS300, and this camera was 2600$ in B&H until recently (we bought in Europe for a lot more!).

1 hour ago, Kisaha said:

#mercer

Sorry, but you can't compare the NX1 with the Sony abominations. To even mention the NX1 with the a6300 in the same sentence shows that you haven't use, at least one of those (or both).

The IBIS (supposed to be 5 stops, people at Sony forums talk about 2) and touch screen (which as you know, is the worst in industry right now, worst than any other touch screen offering) of a6500 is giving points in the Sony (that a6300 lacks completely, so..), but again the Sony IBIS is not that further away from NX1+S lens DIS-dual IS (ofcourse it is better than DIS, but it is not Olympus IBIS let's say, that is million miles away from DIS+OIS) and the touch capabilities of NX are (were) best in industry (m4/3 and Canon catched up here, but still..). So, I give it a tie here. Better low light performance for the a6500, gets a point, and a big one, but in everything else the Sony is failing miserably or completely, or almost.

The next logical step is Panasonic, if you don't mind the smaller sensor (or if a variable sensor is used), Fuji in the next Xt-2, or Canon M in 3 generations time. Sony actually is the furthest on the horizon. Except they really nail it on the a7000 (new body, menu, operating system, perfect touch screen implementation, a few more native lenses, bigger battery, better heat management, much much better ergonomics etc).

You choose to ignore all the negatives. I am avoiding using mirrorless Sony cameras for the reasons already expressed, my ways differ than other people's, just expressing personal experiences as I have worked with most systems and cameras.

I haven't with a7Rii, because I can not see the point. In what case I need 42 megapixels, which is the selling point of this camera. When we need anything like it (it have never happened), in general for big prints we use Nikon.

I have used the Sii a couple of times, a bit impressive freak camera, doesn't do much, except incredible ISO (which I do not need. People doing the parties in weddings love this cam though), again for the price, I rather use the excellent C100mkII (have you seen the low light capabilities of this camera?).

A6300, 3rd camera for weddings, drains battery like crazy, couldn't find anything on the menu (again, everytime I use one of those), good package with the 18-105/4f (that lens is the best value for money Sony), we used NX1/GH4 for the religious ceremony, a6300 in the scorching hot Greek summer, is like you are searching for troubles. 

Used the A7ii a couple of times this year, because of the IBIS (the battery was dissapearing fast with IBIS on) second camera on a wedding and as a photo camera. Nothing impressive.

So yeah, greatsensors, not great "cameras" per se.

We passed the a7Sii for the very first time for Canon C100markII, second time for what (eventually) became 3 NX cameras, lenses and other accessories. Third time this summer considering a a7Sii, we choose with my business partner the JVC LS300, and this camera was 2600$ in B&H until recently (we bought in Europe for a lot more!).

I am testing the a6300 right now, I am on the fence about keeping it. It honestly reminds me of a more advanced NX500 that may overheat... even though I had zero issues with any overheating and it supposedly was fixed with the recent firmware update. I don't shoot professionally, and my interests are solely hobby based and for narratives, so the overheating will never really be an issue. With that being said, I cannot imagine shooting anything professionally, at this point in time, with the NX1. What happens if the camera breaks in the middle of a shoot? It's not like you can go and buy a new one from BH and have it overnighted.

Listen, I get that you guys like the NX1, but your assessment is just wrong. The a6300 has a proper log profile, the NX1 does not. The a6300 has PDAF, the NX1 does not. The a6300 is easily usable up to 3200 ISO, it's a stretch to push the NX1 to 1600 ISO. Sony has a larger lens selection, by far, with more 3rd party offerings and better options to adapt manual lenses... especially since adapters are going to be scarce for the NX system soon enough. Plus there is more possibilities for speed boosting the a6300.

With all that being said, I do agree that the C100, mark i, or ii, is better than both options in most instances, but I totally disagree that Samsung had the best touch functions back in 2014... the 70D had touch DPAF since 2013...

But the main point is that Philip Bloom had no real reason to even include the NX1 in his test, but he did and he gave it good rankings... so you guys should be happy, but instead you rejoice Marco for rudely arguing with him because Bloom didn't say that a dead camera system is the best hybrid on the market... which obviously it cannot be for the simple fact that it is a dead camera system that is not on the market.

Also I don't really see what the big deal is with Sony menus? Sure they're a tad disorganized and all over the place, but as long as you can read, they're fairly straightforward. 

There is no real reason to compare the NX1 to any camera at this point. Camera comparisons are to help people make discussions on witch camera is best for them and no one should be considering buying an NX1 at this point.

Only the samsung fanboys are the ones who wants to see a comparison.

Don't get me wrong I love my NX1 and I'm not going to be buying an a6300 anytime soon but Im not delusional. Sure the NX1 might be slightly better than the a6300 at a few things like ergonomics or heat dissipation but all the things that the a6300 is better at like lowlight, IQ, DR Lens mount flexibility its completely blows away the samsung.

If a camera brakes, whatever camera that is, it just brakes. I do not get your point. Olus, I got 3 NX cameras that I have with me all the time, so I am ready for most challenges.

Being discontinued, doesn't mean that we have to burn them, especially since all manufacturers are strangling to achieve such a balanced performance to features ratio. I do not get the crying babies "oh it is discontinued, die".

a6300 is good for little things for amateurs like you, but I can not change 5-8 batteries per shooting, worry about overheating, do not have a proper handling and ergonomics, my life(money) depends on my money making ability, alas on my camera, that's why Canon sell so much, are reliable, and that is I see Fuji beeing better than Sony, their camera is predictable, people are buying Fuji while has no touch screen, no IBIS, huge crop, much less features than NX, but is a reliable camera, with good ergonomics, and great baked colors.

I frequent the Sony forums and I am amazed about how narrow-minded people there are, they are really surprised that people buy anything else than Sony, well, I am surprised that anyone buys something so ill-thought with poor real life performance that beta test their cameras on us.

NX had the best touch implementation and wireless apps and connectivity since for ever, and when I had the NX300 there was nothing even coming close to that.

nX1 is one of the last cameras, the system didn't started with the NX1, rather ended!

By the way, the sensor is still considered the best APS-C right now (together with D7200).

I stop here because it is boring and noone cares. We are here to make advancements to our system (behind magic lantern, we are going strong here too!). I said it before, friends had a600/a6300 and now have to buy the a6500, and I am still going NX strong, and I will, until the next generation. The money I saved gave me better sound, editing equipment, better quality of life (not agonizing about upgrading every 7 months for lackluster cameras).

On 12/19/2016 at 0:43 AM, Marco Tecno said:

Ppl saying that a6300 is better than nx1 either didn't use the samsung or didn't know bow to use it properly. I don't see any other possible rational explanation. I never touched the a6500 so I  can't speak about it.

The only camera I currently own is an NX1 and this is the camera I use 90% of the time. However 10% of the time I help a buddy of mine who has an A7s, a6000 and a6300 and I can definitely say as mentioned above  "the NX1 might be slightly better than the a6300 at a few things like ergonomics or heat dissipation but all the things that the a6300 is better at like lowlight, IQ, DR Lens mount flexibility it completely blows away the samsung."

But I think the more important point is why are we even comparing them? Camera comparisons are to help people decide what camera to buy and no one should be considering buying a samsung camera at this point.

The only other reason to compare two cameras is for fanboys to stand tall and say "My camera is better!" witch is all fine and dandy for some people but for me i would just rather you judge me based on the size of my .... than the resolution of my camera, but that's just me.

I can agree for the lowlight part in video. Dr...perhaps at high iso and, again, in video. Nx1 totally wins over a6300 for stills, that's 90% of what I do with cameras.

Then, for video, nx1 wins for slowmo, sharpness, definition, resolution at base iso, rs (especially at 2k).

Nx1 at least with bitrate hack has, IMO, better iq than a6300 up to iso 800.

Ui in the sony is terrible.