Juxx989

Philip Bloom Teases a NX-1 Test/Review? in 2016?

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 3.12.2016 at 7:53 AM, Juxx989 said:

I believe they are in political hot water in Korea as well the government raided their offices and some ties to the president.  Seems like their version of watergate. .... Just bring back the camera division. 

To anyone who do not understand, this is what happened:
http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/samsung-group-offices-raided-korea-political-scandal-news/

Honestly I am not surprised, Samsung is full of corruption, the Note 7 scandal did not happen for no reasons, the shutting down the camera section was nothing but politically motivated, there is a huge struggle internally in Samsung between different section.

Samsung is having their own purge right now, removing people left and right and reschuffling, the NX2000, NX30, NX1 and NX500 are nice cameras imao but the company is rotten. They treat their workers like shit, and people are worked to death (literally) to bring us great product we take for granted.
Samsung cameras are dead, we must accept this, now even Fuji is having good video features on their cameras with good prices on them, the GH5 will be the greatest.

I had a try with the G7 and G85 I must say, I 'almost' fell a bit in love here, these are great cameras and amazing quality for their price, with G85 I can shoot 3200ISO with street lights and still have usable image in 4k with noise reduction, this is not possible with NX1. Only thing keeping me to the NX1 is the amazing colours it shoots in-camera but there still issues with the image quality that bothers me, like the massive reduction in quality when you start hitting high ISO's, the most annyoing issue is using 800+ ISO and you lack light, when you crank up the contrasts with picture profiles you seem to loose details very quickly, the rolling shutter is also really annoying because I am not a big fan of the 1080p mode, while 4k has usable ISO up to 2000 the 1080p seems to start suffering even at 800 ISO, you specially notice it with fine details a very annoying thing. 

Sorry for my rambling, Samsung made great cameras, some small issues yes but still usable and it is amazing to see people still using them, the 16-50mm F2-2.8 is a poorly designed lens though, good quality glass but its so heavy and keeps zooming out when you have it in a downward position because the front glasses are so heavy.
Use a Sony 16-50mm F2.8 A-mount and you will see how a proper one is designed. 

On 12/5/2016 at 4:53 PM, SMGJohn said:

Really? I used a lot of video cameras and the NX1 autofocus was amazing.

Perhaps I'm spoiled by the 1DXMkII? IMO the NX1 has OK autofocus, but it is nothing I would consider using when critical focus is required. YMMV.

The only technology I would trust (and I have for some specific times), would be Canon's dual pixel AF, with that said, I have done some Ronin work, and NX1 was impressive (=did the job, nobody asked how we did it or why, no discussion's whatsoever, on a quite big set for a corporate video) with the PZ lens, at near 20mm.

I would say, for a few years camera it does a great job (tweaking it a little bit); dual pixel is the best, but I still go the Manual way, always, as I still can't trust auto.

20 hours ago, DBounce said:

Perhaps I'm spoiled by the 1DXMkII? IMO the NX1 has OK autofocus, but it is nothing I would consider using when critical focus is required. YMMV.

Come on 1DXM2 is like 6000 dollars, you cannot really compare the two and then complain about the NX1 being inferior also the 1DXM2 is like 2 years newer, again you would expect it to be better than the NX1, the NX1 was among the best of its time in autofocus and specially for being mirrorless, the tracking was amazing and still is, it still is an amazing camera. 

All that for like 1300 at launch day and nowadays I seen it as low as 700 dollars, no comparison whatsoever to be made here, we might as well compare Ferrari to a Lada Niva offroad, obviously the Lada will do better job offroad but suck at high speed and handling on the road. 

On 12/5/2016 at 4:53 PM, SMGJohn said:

Really? I used a lot of video cameras and the NX1 autofocus was amazing.

Well are not both the NX1 and 1DXMKii in Mr.Bloom's comparison? In any case, I'm not going by price. As price was not a factor in either purchase for me. Performance was. That said I would have loved to have seen a NX2, but that was not in the cards.

13 hours ago, Kisaha said:

What else it says? I'm in a ship going to a small island for a documentary, and I won't be able to watch the video any time soon, and I can't wait to know what it says!!

In a round about way he says its the 3rd best In autofocus behind the Canon 1DX  M2 and Sony a6300 after he tested around 9 or 10 cameras.... I still dont know what lens he had on it... I guess it was the 45mm because it performed well but it didn't have the default distance meter I have when I put my S lens on... So a 2 year old $1500 camera is 3rd best vs a New Flagship $6000 camera... like I said before Im ok with that...

5 hours ago, Juxx989 said:

So a 2 year old $1500 camera is 3rd best vs a New Flagship $6000 camera... like I said before Im ok with that...

But... if Bloom included the 70D, 80D, EOS-M5 and a6500, in his tests, the NX1 would have come in 7th place and would have been the 2nd most expensive camera on the list...

Great 4k Decent color, 15 fps burst shot, mike input, headphone jack, 28 megapixel 180+ bitrate hack, and hopefully cheap S Glass someday soon... Im ok with that...    

The camera was never best at anything but was great at most everything... in terms of value vs performance vs price it was through the roof 2 years ago... and in many ways still is.

also I suspect this camera is one of the factors that lit the fire under Sony's ass to start bringing out 9 cameras a year. Your welcome...(if that's a good thing)

I still cant find anything to replace everything it can do at the the price... So im stuck...   

If only we could figure out how to squeeze raw out of it...  

So... Canon DPAF as a whole is best... Sony 6300+ 6500 ONLY is 2nd best, and little NX-1 a 2 year old $1500 camera from a phone company is hanging with them... IM OK WITH THAT.

Samsung Ditching Its Camera customer base... NOT OK WITH THAT.    :confused: