Wedding videography advice

Jimmy

Depends on what I feel like doing.

Sometimes I go with the Sigma 18-35 and a 50-150 (depends on the venue) and other times I go with the SLR Magic 12mm and the Voigtlander 17.5mm and 25mm. I find using the primes makes me think more about what I'm doing with my compositions which can be a good thing. I have shot a whole wedding on the 17.5mm to see what it was like and it turned out fine (GH5 with ETC mode you have a 17.5-24mm/FF 35-48mm, I think).

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
16 hours ago, Jimmy said:

Quick question.... Do any of you wedding guys use only/mainly prime lenses? 

I'm a former wedding guy & while I experimented with primes I found zooms far more versatile. During the years I did wedding video I mostly used 5D2 or 5D3 with the 24-70mm F/2.8L & 70-200mm  F/2.8L classic wedding lenses.

No worries @jonpais, something about camera talk seems to bring the demons out in people ?

I'm gonna try and avoid all talk other than trying to better my skills and knowledge.

On a side note, I just took delivery of an Edelkrone wing, oh damn, this is a cool slider! Gonna be a fantastic tool to keep constantly attached to the tripod. 

18 hours ago, Jimmy said:

Quick question.... Do any of you wedding guys use only/mainly prime lenses? 

I use primes in these circumstances:

1) Unmanned locked off camera? Perhaps I might. As then a zoom or a prime, doesn't matter, I'm not changing it!

2) When darkness sets in and I'm forced to

Otherwise zooms are more convenient for the run and gun nature of the day. 

44 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

No worries @jonpais, something about camera talk seems to bring the demons out in people ?

I'm gonna try and avoid all talk other than trying to better my skills and knowledge.

On a side note, I just took delivery of an Edelkrone wing, oh damn, this is a cool slider! Gonna be a fantastic tool to keep constantly attached to the tripod. 

I have the SliderPlus, it's a fantastic slider but even it is too big for me. I have been looking to sell it and buy a SliderOne but the Wing looks good too. Why did you choose the wing over SliderOne? Are there any advantages?

15 hours ago, Thpriest said:

I have shot a whole wedding on the 17.5mm to see what it was like and it turned out fine (GH5 with ETC mode you have a 17.5-24mm/FF 35-48mm, I think).

This is very similar to my thinking and good to hear you had positive results.  I shoot travel and family videos, and while not the same as weddings, they share a lot in common, especially getting the shot the first time and not directing or getting in the way too much.

I'm just putting my lens kit together for my new GH5 and figured that I needed a super-wide to capture those "wow" scenic moments, a tele for tight shots and a 35 / 50mm walk-around lens for the middle 80% of shots.  I'm tossing up which lens that will end up being, but with the ETC mode a 35mm / 49mm equivalent lens gives the two most useful focal lengths without having to change lenses all the time.  Just brilliant!

I haven't played with the digital zoom on the GH5 yet, but when I was considering an A7III I looked at the digital zoom from it and it was perfectly usable up to about 1.5X (and not good  beyond that) so there might be a bit more flexibility in there for us.  Depending on what format you're delivering in, and what codec you're using, cropping in post might also be an option.

Just now, kye said:

This is very similar to my thinking and good to hear you had positive results.  I shoot travel and family videos, and while not the same as weddings, they share a lot in common, especially getting the shot the first time and not directing too much.

I'm just putting my lens kit together for my new GH5 and figured that I needed a super-wide to capture those "wow" scenic moments, a tele for tight shots and a 35 / 50mm walk-around lens for the middle 80% of shots.  I'm tossing up which lens that will end up being, but with the ETC mode a 35mm / 49mm equivalent lens gives the two most useful focal lengths without having to change lenses all the time.  Just brilliant!

I haven't played with the digital zoom on the GH5 yet, but when I was considering an A7III I looked at the digital zoom from it and it was perfectly usable up to about 1.5X (and not good  beyond that) so there might be a bit more flexibility in there for us.  Depending on what format you're delivering in, and what codec you're using, cropping in post might also be an option.

Be aware that on the GH5 the ETC is clean in 4K but in HD at higher ISOs it has a lot of noise.

9 minutes ago, Thpriest said:

I have the SliderPlus, it's a fantastic slider but even it is too big for me. I have been looking to sell it and buy a SliderOne but the Wing looks good too. Why did you choose the wing over SliderOne? Are there any advantages?

Purely for size... I can leave the wing on the tripod and lock it to it's smallest size (about 7")...  I also don't like to rely too heavily on anything that can go wrong, like using apps or motors. (Though I assume you can use the plus with the motor?)

20181018_102752.jpg

2 minutes ago, Thpriest said:

Be aware that on the GH5 the ETC is clean in 4K but in HD at higher ISOs it has a lot of noise.

Thanks, that's good to know.

I guess it makes sense as ETC doesn't have any downscaling to hide the noise, and those 1080 pixels are larger than those 4K ones when looking at the output files.

All the more reason to have fast primes!

I'm driven to fast primes anyway because the zooms are slower on crop sensors so getting that depth and separation is harder.

3 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

Purely for size... I can leave the wing on the tripod and lock it to it's smallest size (about 7")...  I also don't like to rely too heavily on anything that can go wrong, like using apps or motors. (Though I assume you can use the plus with the motor?)

I don't have a motor. I was thinking of the SliderOne for size and it can be used with or without a motor.

I added a photo to the above post.... As you can see, i can just walk around like that as a standard tripod, then when a shot needs the slider... just adjust the knob on the right and it is ready to use... I can see it being an absolute godsend. 

23 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

I added a photo to the above post.... As you can see, i can just walk around like that as a standard tripod, then when a shot needs the slider... just adjust the knob on the right and it is ready to use... I can see it being an absolute godsend. 

Not sure I can see the photo

3 minutes ago, Thpriest said:

What is that tripod? Is it one of those ones that can be changed into a monopod?

Looks compact. Is it study enough for the slider?

It's called a MeFoto travel tripod... Surprisingly sturdy for the size (I think the mobile phone camera made it look smaller than it is). Though the wing will be on a bigger Manfrotto at weddings. 

6 hours ago, Jimmy said:

It's called a MeFoto travel tripod... Surprisingly sturdy for the size (I think the mobile phone camera made it look smaller than it is). Though the wing will be on a bigger Manfrotto at weddings. 

I have a Mefoto travel tripod too and it's great that it can become so compact for carrying around. But I feel the legs are not that sturdy for heavier setups. The Edelkrone looks like a good addon. Thanks for the suggestion! How much does it usually cost vs a regular slider? Coz it looks like I can mimic a slider effect with my body, legs, and IBIS lol. 

26 minutes ago, TurboRat said:

I have a Mefoto travel tripod too and it's great that it can become so compact for carrying around. But I feel the legs are not that sturdy for heavier setups. The Edelkrone looks like a good addon. Thanks for the suggestion! How much does it usually cost vs a regular slider? Coz it looks like I can mimic a slider effect with my body, legs, and IBIS lol. 

I got that second hand for £170... about $220 i guess? This is v1... v2 new is about $700.

I've done dolly like shots with ibis and gimbal, but nothing comes close to the real thing imho

Great username btw!