Wedding videography advice

Jimmy

6 minutes ago, tonysss said:

GH5 - ISO 1600 and Sigma f1.2 (speedbooster) It gives plenty of light, I have no problem never ?

I have the Gh5 and the same lens set up but over here a lot of venues are dark and there is no way you can light without pissing people off! Most weddings are in the evening and at night time as it's too hot during the day in summer.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 minutes ago, Thpriest said:

I have the Gh5 and the same lens set up but over here a lot of venues are dark and there is no way you can light without pissing people off! Most weddings are in the evening and at night time as it's too hot during the day in summer.

You can either bump up the iso and apply Neat, or shoot underexposed then bump up the brightness / exposure in post. Also, it's recommended to shoot CineD and no Vlog with less light.

2 minutes ago, TurboRat said:

Vlog with less light.

100% consent.

8 minutes ago, Thpriest said:

Check out other videos in my VIMEO account and find out night dancing.

,  At the all wedding I always have a minimum of light in the evening and it's okay.

5 minutes ago, TurboRat said:

You can either bump up the iso and apply Neat, or shoot underexposed then bump up the brightness / exposure in post. Also, it's recommended to shoot CineD and no Vlog with less light.

I have Neat but I prefer to avoid using it if posible. I try to get everything right in camera so I don't have to waste time in the edit suite.

3 hours ago, fuzzynormal said:

One of the best collection of wedding videos I ever saw was a guy doing his stuff on the EM5II.  Nobody would ever claim the EM5II has top-line IQ, but his videos were always amazing.  He knew how to shoot fast and pretty, and the EM5II and the IBIS really harmonized with his workflow and skill set.

A good shooter can do a great job with an old Rebel Ti.

1 hour ago, TurboRat said:

Yeah realized that the hard way that it comes down to lighting , composition, grading then gear.

Any links to the EM5 guy's wedding videos? Been looking at some wedding videos lately and it seems that they just follow a pattern. Nothing really stands out much

It was over five years ago that I stumbled upon the wedding videos shot by an an Israeli guy that were shot on OM-D EM5s that were amazingly good. Recently I went looking for the link that I had saved but his work doesn't seem to be on Vimeo any more. He inspired me to buy a couple of OM-D EM5s which I used to shoot the last few wedding video that I ever did. After lugging round several heavy bags containing a couple of 5DIIIs & 5DIIs & lenses plus an XF105 it was a relief to be able to carry all my gear in a small knapsack.

On 10/10/2018 at 8:26 PM, nigelbb said:

It was over five years ago that I stumbled upon the wedding videos shot by an an Israeli guy that were shot on OM-D EM5s that were amazingly good.

I think you are refering to Vadim Action? I also liked his work, he has some recent weddingvideos on YouTube, here is one of his em5 videos from a couple of years ago, not sure what he uses today.

16 hours ago, dantheman said:

I think you are refering to Vadim Action? I also liked his work, he has some recent weddingvideos on YouTube, here is one of his em5 videos from a couple of years ago, not sure what he uses today.

Thanks. That looks like the style. I'm still impressed by his work.

That was shot in 2013, I particulary liked the skintones the em-5 produced but I often saw the codec fall apart with visible pixelation on high detail scenes while he was moving his camera but that was on the em 5 mark I which had lower bitrates then the mark II. His shooting- and editing style however made you forget about that :)

3 hours ago, dantheman said:

That was shot in 2013, I particulary liked the skintones the em-5 produced but I often saw the codec fall apart with visible pixelation on high detail scenes while he was moving his camera but that was on the em 5 mark I which had lower bitrates then the mark II. His shooting- and editing style however made you forget about that :)

He used to have lots more examples of different weddings. Sure they were all a bit soft & the codec did break down at times but overall they were fantastic. I'm sure that his clients were extremely pleased with such dazzling images. The video on the EM-5 II is supposed to be much better but is only HD. The EM-1 II has good 4K video but the camera itself is much bulkier. Olympus haven't produced much recently but perhaps the EM10 III as praised in another thread would do the job? 

On 10/10/2018 at 10:15 AM, Thpriest said:

Here's an example with Portrait (Dunno why it starts at 26 seconds. Scroll back to the beginning please!):

That is a really good video. I am guessing it was shot on a Sony camera judging by the sunset at the 0:43 mark (either that or they were testing an atomic bomb explosion in the background).

1 hour ago, Mark Romero 2 said:

That is a really good video. I am guessing it was shot on a Sony camera judging by the sunset at the 0:43 mark (either that or they were testing an atomic bomb explosion in the background).

Haha, it was shot on a GH5 with a SLR Magic 12mm if I remember well. The blown out sun looks a lot worse on Youtube! 

Some parts were filmed by drone. I can't remember which.

4 hours ago, Thpriest said:

Haha, it was shot on a GH5 with a SLR Magic 12mm if I remember well. The blown out sun looks a lot worse on Youtube! 

Some parts were filmed by drone. I can't remember which.

Well, the video looks awesome overall except for that one part. I shoot Sony so any time I see supersaturated rolloff, I tend to think that it is a Sony.

13 hours ago, dantheman said:

Very nice work.

I found myself looking at the style and editing and ignoring the IQ.  The style seemed kind of light and excited in a kind of gentle and playful way.  I think that was due to the smooth but hand-held camera movement, faster cuts, and lots of short macro shots.  It was a very long way from the very formal aesthetic of slower orchestral music with slow slider shots that you often see!  It was almost like he was interested in lots of things and ran around filming all the awesome stuff and then just cut it together.

I shoot home and travel videos for my family, but I love looking at weddings because they're about capturing what happens with a minimum of staging things, plus they're trying to make things look happy and joyful, rather than accurate or neutral, which is the same for personal work of loved ones.

31 minutes ago, kye said:

Very nice work.

I found myself looking at the style and editing and ignoring the IQ.  The style seemed kind of light and excited in a kind of gentle and playful way.  I think that was due to the smooth but hand-held camera movement, faster cuts, and lots of short macro shots.  It was a very long way from the very formal aesthetic of slower orchestral music with slow slider shots that you often see!  It was almost like he was interested in lots of things and ran around filming all the awesome stuff and then just cut it together.

I shoot home and travel videos for my family, but I love looking at weddings because they're about capturing what happens with a minimum of staging things, plus they're trying to make things look happy and joyful, rather than accurate or neutral, which is the same for personal work of loved ones.

Agree 100%

On 11/28/2016 at 9:24 AM, Davey said:

However, because I chose powerfully emotive music and was able to capture the joy of the day through stealth shots of individuals and tender moments between various family members - and edit these in such a way that the viewer has just finished crying when they find themselves laughing and then back again - everybody agreed that the finished videos were like nothing they had ever seen

Can you share the video?

Quick question.... Do any of you wedding guys use only/mainly prime lenses? 

I'm reworking my kit a bit for next summer and was pondering either upgrading my zoom (fuji) to the 16-55 f2.8... or keeping the 18-55 f.2.8/4 and adding a 23 f2 and 35 f2, with the view to using the primes as much as possible. (with the 90mm kept on my 2nd camera).

I have a Laowa 7,5mm f2 which is permantly used on the gimbal, a Panasonic 15mm f1.7, Panasonic 42,5mm f1.2 and Olympus 75mm f1.8 but also a 12-40mm f2.8 and 40-150mm  f2.8 from Olympus.

The 12-40mm I use the first part of the day when I shoot handheld, I shoot documentary style and work alone, a zoom is in such a case the most versatile to quickly get the shots I need, during the ceremony and speeches I have more controll and start using primes. Primes force you to move to a point to get the composition you want, that's fine when you have the time but especially during the first part of the day that is not always possible and a zoom allows me to quickly get a wide shot and a close-up without moving. 

4 minutes ago, dantheman said:

I have a Laowa 7,5mm f2 which is permantly used on the gimbal, a Panasonic 15mm f1.7, Panasonic 42,5mm f1.2 and Olympus 75mm f1.8 but also a 12-40mm f2.8 and 40-150mm  f2.8 from Olympus.

The 12-40mm I use the first part of the day when I shoot handheld, I shoot documentary style and work alone, a zoom is in such a case the most versatile to quickly get the shots I need, during the ceremony and speeches I have more controll and start using primes. Primes force you to move to a point to get the composition you want, that's fine when you have the time but especially during the first part of the day that is not always possible and a zoom allows me to quickly get a wide shot and a close-up without moving. 

Thanks Dan, i think i need to get my hands on the 16-55mm f2.8 and see how i feel about that and whether the benefits of f2 primes are really worth it. Shame the f1.4s are so damn noisy otherwise the decision would be easy.