Wedding videography advice

Jimmy

8 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

I assume you think you are one of these $10k level photographers?

Seems odd that you waste your days being bitchy on a forum and filming test footage with early teen children.

This thread was a really nice one until you arrived, just professionals discussing craft. Like many other threads beforehand, you've filled it with your brand of negativity.

You are the perfect example of an ignorant little bitch.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
14 hours ago, Jimmy said:

Knock yourself out...

http://www.riversidecreative.net

There is an imaginary featured video here... pixel peep your night away.

We said it to you because you didn't seem to understand the pressure of wedding work while slating someone's work... 

I had a quick watched (I'll confess, I skimmed a little!). 

And it certainly is not top tier wedding cinematography like I've seen elsewhere. 

However you've got very good solid workmanlike product there, I'd give it a thumbs up pass. 

But whoa...  then I saw your prices! Now, I don't know exactly what is normal rates for the UK (let alone your specific area), but wow, my gut feeling is you must be undercharging! You should lift your rates, as with your current standard of films you're certainly overdelivering for those low prices. (you're starting at only seven hundred???? Crazy)

I'm still very much learning (hence the OP) which is reflected in the pricing. Due to construction issues at the venue, we only started this season, it's not my full time job or anything.

That video was my first, shot on XT2 and XT1, i'll update the website some time to reflect more recent work. 

42 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

I had a quick watched (I'll confess, I skimmed a little!). 

And it certainly is not top tier wedding cinematography like I've seen elsewhere. 

However you've got very good solid workmanlike product there, I'd give it a thumbs up pass. 

But whoa...  then I saw your prices! Now, I don't know exactly what is normal rates for the UK (let alone your specific area), but wow, my gut feeling is you must be undercharging! You should lift your rates, as with your current standard of films you're certainly overdelivering for those low prices. (you're starting at only seven hundred???? Crazy)

Eastern europe wedding cinematography starts from 400 eur. Average price is between 700 - 1200 eur, 1500+ range is very rare.

Weddings costs around between 8000-12000 EUR all together including photographer, videographer, clothes, makeup, hairdresser, meals, and a hotel for 80-100 people.

Average wage is below 1K EUR.

In UK 1500 gbp is low price, 3k is usual. Insane.

I should move to UK ? And you too Jimmy

ohh, and the iPhone XS Max 512GB costs about 1800 eur, actually phones are fckn status symbols.

36 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

I'm still very much learning (hence the OP) which is reflected in the pricing. Due to construction issues at the venue, we only started this season, it's not my full time job or anything.

Ah, I see! Yes, if it is just your first season then simply getting any clients can be a struggle. Thus the undercutting approach. 
But keep an eye out to your future! And try to raise them higher as soon as you feel comfortable doing soon, as you're worth it (especially as you should hopefully rapidly improve too, as you're in the early stages of the learning curve). 

Also worth noting that I am not in a big city or anything. I think that is maybe where people are seeing these big prices and thinking it is standard across the country. If you are at the top of your game in London, you might be getting £3k a booking... The idea that that is the standard price though is way off based on the research we have done and seen at wedding events though. 

1 hour ago, IronFilm said:

I'm 100% sure if you're top of the wedding game in London you'll be getting more than £3k/wedding!

Yeah, serious even in Philippines their top wedding videographer charge way more than that... consider how much lower Filipino earn vs UK on average.

Yes... top of their game wasn't the best phrase to use as that will include millionaire/billionaire clients.

I'm talking more about your week to week wedding shooter. Average price for a uk wedding is around £20k... the average price of a wedding video is not gonna be £3k, unfortunatly.

24 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

So "top of your game" now equals.....  average?? 

Why did you miss the first sentence i wrote, where i admitted a made i mistake in my wording?

This place is really frustrating... we are talking about cameras, not life or death issues. Jesus!

Average prices in London are about £1500... so anyone earning £3k is well above average

On 11/28/2016 at 7:06 AM, DaveAltizer said:

Don't get caught up with the gear when it comes to shooting weddings. That's the biggest waste of time and money.

One of the best collection of wedding videos I ever saw was a guy doing his stuff on the EM5II.  Nobody would ever claim the EM5II has top-line IQ, but his videos were always amazing.  He knew how to shoot fast and pretty, and the EM5II and the IBIS really harmonized with his workflow and skill set.

A good shooter can do a great job with an old Rebel Ti.

Ultimately, it's about having exceptional people skills and enjoyment of the work.  You really have to be gung-ho about getting in there and helping people in a positive gentle way.  Rapport with your couple is the absolutely priority, shooting skill second...I don't know where camera selection falls in the priority list, but it's always more than a few notches below everything else.

i have shot all my wedding this season with a combination of FS5 I + Tamron G2 24-70 + SB Ultra cine

and A6500 on a Zhiyun crane 2.

in Italy the price for a wedding video begins with € 500 and goes up to € 3000 for multiple shooter

average i think is 1500 €

this are my 2 favorites from this season:

the are all very documentary style, because i make a complet wedding film with about 60 min

29 minutes ago, Thpriest said:

Nice. Are you using Portrait setting?

No, I use on this video  "like 709" 0,-5,-5,-2,0 ,knee manual point 80, Slope 99 , Luminance level 16-235, master pedestal +10 (but skintones is a little greenish)

And lately use CineD +2,-5,-5,-2,0 -  High -5/shadow 0 , iDynamic Low Luminance level 16-235, master pedestal +10

GX80 - (Hack cineD) +2,-5,-5,-3

3 minutes ago, tonysss said:

No, I use on this video  "like 709" 0,-5,-5,-2,0 ,knee manual point 80, Slope 99 , Luminance level 16-235, master pedestal +10 

And lately use CineD +2,-5,-5,-2 , High -5/shadow 0 , iDynamic Low Luminance level 16-235, master pedestal +10

GX80 - (Hack cineD) +2,-5,-5,-3

How do you find the changed settings handle lower light situations and interiors? I have found that messing quite a bit with the settings can make it quite noisy. I tried White in revery's settings and the colours look very nice but once you hit 800iso it falls apart quickly whilst Portrait, Nature, Cine D etc with minor adjustments seem to hold up quite well up to 1600 and even 3200iso.

4 minutes ago, Thpriest said:

How do you find the changed settings handle lower light situations and interiors? I have found that messing quite a bit with the settings can make it quite noisy. I tried White in revery's settings and the colours look very nice but once you hit 800iso it falls apart quickly whilst Portrait, Nature, Cine D etc with minor adjustments seem to hold up quite well up to 1600 and even 3200iso.

GH5 - ISO 1600 and Sigma f1.2 (speedbooster) It gives plenty of light, I have no problem never ?

2 hours ago, fuzzynormal said:

One of the best collection of wedding videos I ever saw was a guy doing his stuff on the EM5II.  Nobody would ever claim the EM5II has top-line IQ, but his videos were always amazing.  He knew how to shoot fast and pretty, and the EM5II and the IBIS really harmonized with his workflow and skill set.

A good shooter can do a great job with an old Rebel Ti.

Ultimately, it's about having exceptional people skills and enjoyment of the work.  You really have to be gung-ho about getting in there and helping people in a positive gentle way.  Rapport with your couple is the absolutely priority, shooting skill second...I don't know where camera selection falls in the priority list, but it's always more than a few notches below everything else.

Yeah realized that the hard way that it comes down to lighting , composition, grading then gear.

Any links to the EM5 guy's wedding videos? Been looking at some wedding videos lately and it seems that they just follow a pattern. Nothing really stands out much