How do you set exposure for video?

Vesku

@Tim Sewell.......Have you used the SLR on a long lens, I'm wondering if focus is a problem ? I spent a bit of yesterday practising riding my cheap Variable ND that's only usable on a widish lens. I must say there's a bit of technique/practise involved, and keeping my fingers out of shot would be a good start !

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 12/7/2016 at 3:47 AM, Nathanael McKinley Myton said:

Why does everyone have to get all holier than thou about stuff like using manual exposure.

I think the problem is that, like higher frame rates and shutter speeds, it's treated as an issue that old fuddy duddys adhere to and the new kids or amateurs just think it doesn't matter. That by adhering to these principals that have worked pretty well for 100 years of motion imaging we're backwards.

The attitude of new is always better.

The attitude that principals are old fashioned and somehow hold everyone back from the pictures being better.

This guy has posted this questionnaire on at least three forums, and even on DP review, the most friendly to his heretical ideas, almost everyone is saying manual is better.

Interestingly, and universally, I'm seeing his views are being pretty much shot down by anyone who's actually got half a day of shooting experience.

He's a home user, at best an enthusiast who for some reason, despite posting on three very different forums and getting pretty much the same response, still thinks his opinion is more "right" than the collective wisdom of these forums.

When you have a guy posting his opinion as fact then it gets people's nose out of joint. Especially when he just ups the ante when there are many compelling views from experienced users. Saying something is "better" because in their own personal view (which he never qualify as opinion) means people will try to gently suggest, subtly persuade, try to guide them to understand or just down right call it BS when it goes universally against most accepted practice.

When you do call it you're accused of being outmoded or old fashioned, that the new technology means these old rules (I think of them as principles) don't apply..

Some principals are just obvious to me.  I could shoot a roll of film by looking through the lens of an 35mm SLR and using the viewfinder to frame while I take a photo of my ear. There's nothing that says you have to frame a camera by looking through the viewfinder. 

JB

I've been in this film making game for a long time and it's only recently I've ditched ND filters. Talk about liberating! I'll never go back when run and gun filming ever! I'll usually stick to manual and not worry how high the shutter goes. Can hardly tell the difference between that and the old ND/180 rule despite what some of these old schooler's (I was one of them remember) tell you!

For some projects I have even resorted to shooting in Aperture priority and just adjusting the exposure dial to suit the scene. Worked great for me. ND = dead to me. Well, not really. To be honest I'll still use them, but only for high detail, fast motion shots where the fast shutter really stands out.

This discussion reminds me of any discussion about using AF while shooting video - you always get the "pros always MF" blah, blah, blah. Yet every time I've seen/worked with crews using Canon C1/300's with the DPAF, they're constantly using it to pull focus.

Do whatever it takes to get the shot. Sometimes ND's are a pain, sometime I use them, sometimes I don't. Depends on the situation.

My opinion:

Auto exposure is not more right or proper way to adjust exposure than manual. It is best to use manual if a user has time and skill to get what he want.

For me the auto exposure is the easiest way to get right brightness to video image in changing conditions using EV comp and AE-lock if needed. I shoot 30P and 60P and watch my videos with a high end TV and motion enhancement so the shutter speed is rarely an issue. The most important to me is to get brightness right and avoid some dangers like too small aperture or too slow shutter in dim light.

I have watched lately hundreds and thousands of my videos all shooted with auto exposure and 99% of them has perfect or good exposure (brightness). I doubt if I can get better success rate with manual.