Olympus E-M1 II mini-review - a sign of things to come with the Panasonic GH5?

Andrew Reid

38 minutes ago, liork said:

iso, Aperture and shutter speed values are presented on the screen

But still wondering how easy (or not) it is to change certain exposure controls while actually recording.

On the EM5II you can change iso during recording, but it's a PITA that involves the touchscreen.  Punching the touch screen while recoding video?  Yeah, that's pretty damn stupid.  Is the EM1II different?  Not sure about that yet.

That said, I'm very much a potential buyer of this camera.  Might fit what I'm doing rather well, I'm thinking.  We'll see.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, liork said:

As you can see here, while recording video, iso, Aperture and shutter speed values are presented on the screen, watch around 12:30 time:

The video is not showing if the exposure info is visible in A, S, or P mode. The video shows only M-mode.

If I want to adjust my exposure the same way as in taking photos using shutter priority or aperture priority I would like to see the changing automatic value too. It would be very difficult to take photos with A or with auto iso if the camera is not showing all the exposure numbers.

3 hours ago, fuzzynormal said:

On the EM5II you can change iso during recording, but it's a PITA that involves the touchscreen.  Punching the touch screen while recoding video?  Yeah, that's pretty damn stupid.  Is the EM1II different?  Not sure about that yet.

I've sold my EM5 MK II now but there was, in fact, a way to change settings while filming without using the touchscreen. Really. 

The article that goes with the video:

http://www.newsshooter.com/2016/11/28/olympus-omd-e-m1-ii-controls-and-handling-for-video-first-look/

"There is a HDMI port which should be capable of UHD 4K 10-bit 4:2:2 output "

I am not sure if it was an error but it will be great if true. At the same time it is very disappointing to see that:

"It’s worth noting that you can’t currently get DCI 4K out of the HDMI for external monitoring or recording".  WTH Olympus? 

Another annoyance: "The problem I found was that there was no way to switch between autofocus and manual focus once you started to record". 

Also tracking is not that great but I guess it can work in some situations:

6 hours ago, fuzzynormal said:

But still wondering how easy (or not) it is to change certain exposure controls while actually recording.

You sure can.

I have aperture and shutter speed mapped to the two main dials.  You can easily change them in shot if you need to. It was my biggest request to the development team after the EM5II.

and yeah, you guys changing shutter speed to set exposure....really ???  You're prepared to draw attention to your shot by CHANGING the motion cadence ?  It's poor practice, pure and simple.  It's a cheat.

If you have that big an exposure change then auto ISO can work well if you don't have a focus puller to change iris for you remotely.

If you use iris or shutter speed to change exposure in shot, you'll see a stepping in exposure as you change.  You'll find ISO changes can be more seamless.

And 8 bit out on my HDMI.  (though I'm still on an early build but I'm 99% sure it's going to be 8 Bit in the final release)

JB

No, not really...

11 hours ago, Cinegain said:

I tend to use the manual mode for most stuff. Usually things are set to 4K 24p with 180 shutter closest 1/50th. I then first determine the depth of field I want to use and set the aperture accordingly. Whatever the exposure shows... I need to set my ISO accordingly. When ISO reaches ISO1250 and is still underexposing, I need to re-think my strategy. Maybe I can add light to the scene. Maybe I can trade-off depth of field for a better sensitivity. In turn, if it is overexposing, throw a ND filter in front. If I would have none on me, again trade-off one thing for the other, I'd more be willing to sacrifice the shutterspeed than I would depth of field by pinching the aperture. But I prefer to decide whatever goes for myself. That's one reason why I don't mind full manual lenses like the SLR Magic HyperPrime CINE 25mm T0.95. Having that physical aperture control ring and manual focus. It doesn't bother me at all. Though, given, it's not for the extreme run'n'gunner. It's like fastfood... very convenient... but I'd enjoy live cooking slowfood more. But different folks, different strokes. There's no absolute right or wrong... though I guess you could say that there is 'conventional' versus 'unconventional'. Just gotta find something that works for you.

And concerning that highlighted part... I think to answer the question he had, I was looking into those unconventional ways. Think upping the shutterspeed can be more gradual than dropping the ISO. Dunno, that's a choice someone might make. I wouldn't do necessarily opt to do it, but it's the most logical answer I could think of. Or maybe you're making a drug trippy scene and like to create depth of field jumps and weird motion changes. Then sure, why not.

4 hours ago, John Brawley said:

You sure can.

I have aperture and shutter speed mapped to the two main dials.  You can easily change them in shot if you need to. It was my biggest request to the development team after the EM5II.

and yeah, you guys changing shutter speed to set exposure....really ???  You're prepared to draw attention to your shot by CHANGING the motion cadence ?  It's poor practice, pure and simple.  It's a cheat.

If you have that big an exposure change then auto ISO can work well if you don't have a focus puller to change iris for you remotely.

If you use iris or shutter speed to change exposure in shot, you'll see a stepping in exposure as you change.  You'll find ISO changes can be more seamless.

And 8 bit out on my HDMI.  (though I'm still on an early build but I'm 99% sure it's going to be 8 Bit in the final release)

JB

John,

Are you getting the full 237mbps for the Cinema 4k?  The online samples I have seen have been much less than that.  Also, is there an option for shutter angle?

52 minutes ago, Mckinise said:

John,

Are you getting the full 237mbps for the Cinema 4k?  The online samples I have seen have been much less than that.  Also, is there an option for shutter angle?

I haven't looked specifically, but I found the same thing when they offered the 102 FHD version in the EM5 Mark II.  The data rate is variable and it depends on a few factors.  If there's more fine detail, if it's low light etc then the data rate goes up.  I could only max out the data rate by shooting in more difficult situations and at 30 FPS....I would guess maybe the same for their 4K implementation.

The data rate isn't fixed and this is the case with a lot of compression schemes.  DVD / Itunes is the same.  Thinks like contrast, fine detail and smoke will up the rate.  It seems to auto assign how much data it think's it needs.

It does look really good though.  I've been impressed how much of a leap this camera is.

JB

23 minutes ago, liork said:

So you're saying that the files are flexible enough in editing? Like raising shadows etc.

Also, can you fine tune the cinema picture profile?

The flat profile isn't adjustable.

It's reasonable in that yeah, there's wriggle room.  This is still an 8 bit codec (even if the camera is more) but now that's the bottleneck.  Before you also had aliasing and the crop of the sensor.  I haven't tried the HDMI output either, and I imagine you could improve it a little, having a better codec.

It's still an 8 Bit camera, but it's got a much nicer looking, less artefact'ed (i just made that up) image, it's in 4K, and the IS is even better again.

I come from being used to working with 12 bit video. Even 10 bit is a step down for me.  So for 8 bit's, if you expose it well enough in the first place, she looks really nice.

I'm stuck in the middle of a series right now or else I'd have some actual real world examples to share with you.  It's not as good as others, but it's a huge leap forward for Olympus, even from their already greatly improved video on the EM5 Mark II.  In two models they've more or less caught up to others with comparable specs and for me, the pictures look better, until you go to 10 bit codecs.

JB

21 hours ago, John Brawley said:

You sure can.

Agreed.  

Can the dials be programmed for, say, aperture and ISO?  Those are the two I typically play with on the fly.

When running and gunning, I like to lock my aperture and shutter on one setting and adjust exposure as needed via ND and a limited range of ISO.  I'll change iris if a super quick exposure change is required, but typically like to open my manual lenses for a lot of my shooting.  f1.2 - 2.8-ish.

Adjusting ISO while filming with the EM5II?  (without using the touchscreen) If it's possible, I'm still not sure about it.

5 minutes ago, fuzzynormal said:

Agreed.  

Can the dials be programmed for, say, aperture and ISO?  Those are the two I typically play with on the fly.

When running and gunning, I like to lock my aperture and shutter on one setting and adjust exposure as needed via ND and a limited range of ISO.  I'll change iris if a super quick exposure change is required, but typically like to open my manual lenses for a lot of my shooting.  f1.2 - 2.8-ish.

Adjusting ISO while filming with the EM5II?  (without using the touchscreen) If it's possible, I'm still not sure about it.

I haven't checked and haven't got the camera with me but yes, you can do this in stills mode using the lever near the EVF. 

Jb