Olympus E-M1 II mini-review - a sign of things to come with the Panasonic GH5?

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
20 hours ago, Ingerson said:

Anyone have some clips to share of the improved AF? :)

Sorry I'm busy with regular work stuff at the moment & not had much time to shoot any video. TBH I jumped in & bought the camera as I saw one at a good price & I was expecting prices of used cameras would rise once others spotted how good the firmware update is. It's a lovely camera & feels just right in your hands.

• 1 month later...
20 minutes ago, DaveAltizer said:

Just made a video showing the amazing advancements of the V3 firmware!

I'm attracted to Olympus and have shot lots on a EM5II.  Looking to jump back into the brand.  Do you have any experience with the EM10III?  Since I shoot manual lenses and don't dabble much with LOG, might be a good fit.  Thoughts?

1 hour ago, fuzzynormal said:

I'm attracted to Olympus and have shot lots on a EM5II.  Looking to jump back into the brand.  Do you have any experience with the EM10III?  Since I shoot manual lenses and don't dabble much with LOG, might be a good fit.  Thoughts?

The E-M5iii is expected to get announced in late September. You could wait to see what Olympus introduces. 

• Administrators
3 hours ago, fuzzynormal said:

Since E-M10 III is so cheap but doesn't have great AF or any form of LOG, you could save a bit of money and not bother waiting for E-M5 III.

Put a Speed Booster on E-M10 III instead

8 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Since E-M10 III is so cheap but doesn't have great AF or any form of LOG, you could save a bit of money and not bother waiting for E-M5 III.

Put a Speed Booster on E-M10 III instead

Yeah, I got Voight primes and like them a lot.  I feel I don’t need a higher end camera since my concern is shooting video. 

I like the GH5, but don’t love it - as I know I’m only utilizing about half of its capability the way I do things. Downgrading gear seems counterintuitive, but sort of makes sense.

The 60p 4K would be hard to let go of, however. 

17 hours ago, DaveAltizer said:

Bumping this thread! Just made a video showing the amazing advancements of the V3 firmware! I love using this camera. Colors are great. Ibis is amazing and now autofocus is totally reliable 

Thanks Dave! I wonder why the colors aren’t as nice on the OMLog? Hopefully you slap the 10-25 f1.7 and share the experience. I’ve been thinking about picking up an Olympus camera. Either the new EM5 or the the next EM1.

I know Olympus has had a lot of feedback on their EM1X with regards to video from their initial beta field testers. The testers see value in it as a video camera as well now. I hope they take that and run with it.

On 8/25/2019 at 7:47 PM, DaveAltizer said:

Bumping this thread! Just made a video showing the amazing advancements of the V3 firmware! I love using this camera. Colors are great. Ibis is amazing and now autofocus is totally reliable 

a tad offtopic, but I have to admit that the VLOGs of @DaveAltizer are one of the very few hat I really enjoy watching until the (suprisingly not so bitter VLOG) end. Top notch content!

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/25/2019 at 10:39 PM, fuzzynormal said:

Yeah, I got Voight primes and like them a lot.  I feel I don’t need a higher end camera since my concern is shooting video. 

I like the GH5, but don’t love it - as I know I’m only utilizing about half of its capability the way I do things. Downgrading gear seems counterintuitive, but sort of makes sense.

The 60p 4K would be hard to let go of, however. 

I feel the same way with my GH5.  I've been flirting with Panasonic since the GX80 got IBIS (for the better video codec) and also picked up a GH5 with the 12-60/2.8-4 Leica which I do almost everything with.  I'm still not liking the colours as well as the old Olympus (spend more time in post colour correcting) and the size/weight of the GH5 is more noticeable compared to my old EM5-ii.

I'm considering moving back once I see what the EM5-iii is about, or just grabbing two refurbished EM10-iii and selling my panasonic lenses and relying on the Olympus 12-100/4 for outdoor events and my 17 and 42 Voigtlanders on two cameras for indoors.

I agree, the 60p 4k is great for getting better shutter speeds with less ND and the digital crop is handy for more reach.  However I use the HLG a lot these days for the better file compression and the 10-bit, although more work with LUTs/corrections in post...