Olympus E-M1 II mini-review - a sign of things to come with the Panasonic GH5?

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

Cinematic that one, a good example of making such ordinary stuff look emotional. A flower pot on a table in the rain... Who'd have thought :)

That first shot lingers a bit too long BUT it's lovely stuff... And the video is just 2 shots which isn't enough, but the garden is a nice setting.

Camera is looking great, AF doing the trick, stabilisation impressive... Also liking the colours.

The fake Anamorphic flare didn't add anything, I'd have got rid of it. Anamorphic flare has to be real and suited to the content, I think a mellow piece like this doesn't need the drama to be honest.

I am going to install the new firmware and see how it goes... I have the E-M1X at the moment as well to act as the benchmark. Man, is that camera nice feeling in the hand. I have not had any bugs yet but didn't take it to Berlin with me when I got it, so haven't used it in anger yet... need to get to shoot with it much more but initial impressions are great... Aside from the price that is ;)

9 hours ago, liork said:

Based on E-M1 II timing history, you will have to wait more than 2 years for that...

Nah... 3rd Q19 should be when they have something with the release date for 150-400 F4.5. And Probably an update to the lens roadmap.

B

I’m on the verge of getting an em1 mark II second hand, could someone here who owns it please tell how the continuous autofocus performs in video with firmware 3.0.

I know how the xt3, the a7r3 and the z6 works in comparison. The few tests I’ve managed to find on YouTube seem a bit inconclusive. So is it on par with the z6 (in good lighting) and is the face detection sticky or does it tend to hunt/drift?

5 hours ago, noplz said:

The 2016 E-M1 ii just became the ultimate Youtube/vlogging camera (full stop) and literally no one (except this thread) is talking about it. Even if the E-M5 iii coming in August gets PDAF it probably won't have the flippy screen...

It’s extremely compelling for m43 shooters now. But, right now, full frame and EOS R are winning the vlogging game.

I have aways liked the look of the Olympus OM-D E-M1 II & with this new firmware update it looks a very interesting proposition so I have just ordered a used model with Panasonic 25mm F/1.7 lens from Wex here in the UK. Trading in my Sony RX10M4 has covered almost the entire cost.

The RX10M4 has been pretty much redundant since I bought the RX100M6 as except for the amazing 600mm FF equivalent zoom there is nothing to choose between the two cameras in terms of image quality & as the RX100M6 fits in my pocket I use it 80-90% of the time for stills. When I want to "do photography" I have my Nikon D810 & a bunch of lenses so I'll be looking at getting a Speedbooster for the E-M1 to take advantage of my Nikkor lenses.

I gave up pro video about five years ago but latterly I shot wedding with a pair of OM-D E-M5s & loved them for their fantastic 5-axis IBIS & the light weight & compactness. The HD video was a bit mushy but the colours were lovely. The E-M1 is a bit larger but still should have many of the same characteristics but now with sharp 4K video.

My new (used) camera arrived yesterday. First impressions are that it's very well made & fits beautifully in my hands. I'm just looking to download & install the new firmware`& it looks like they have even updated the user manual with details of features included with the new firmware http://download.aws.olympus.eu/consumer/manuals/cameras/E-M1_Mark_II_MANUAL_FW30_EN.pdf

Update: Can't do the FW update as I need a USB-C cable so ordered one from Amazon for delivery tomorrow.

6 hours ago, nigelbb said:

My new (used) camera arrived yesterday. First impressions are that it's very well made & fits beautifully in my hands. I'm just looking to download & install the new firmware`& it looks like they have even updated the user manual with details of features included with the new firmware http://download.aws.olympus.eu/consumer/manuals/cameras/E-M1_Mark_II_MANUAL_FW30_EN.pdf

Update: Can't do the FW update as I need a USB-C cable so ordered one from Amazon for delivery tomorrow.

I think you will enjoy it immensely with the new firmware. 

12 hours ago, Video Hummus said:

I think you will enjoy it immensely with the new firmware. 

From some brief testing it's really nice with the old firmware. I can't believe how effective the 5-axis IBIS is now. I thought what they created with the original OM-D E-M5 was good but this is astonishing. The EVF is lovely too. The 4K video is very good & it has the lovely Olympus colour.

The cable arrived & I've updated the firmware.

The C-AF is freakishly good. At least the equal of any proper camcorder that I have used over the years.

Initially I was horrified at the severe crop mode in both HD & 4K video but then realised that this is only when you have sensor shift & digital IS engaged & when you switch to sensor shift only there is no crop.

I bought a cheap Vitrox speed booster to enable me to use my Nikon lenses but having tried then I don't think that this is going to be useful as the camera is hideously unbalanced when you put a heavyweight FF lens plus speed booster on the front of the camera. I'll just live with the 25mm F/1.7 which gives me 50mm FF equivalent view & can always use the lossless 2x digital teleconverter when shooting video to give a 100mm view.