Olympus E-M1 II mini-review - a sign of things to come with the Panasonic GH5?

Andrew Reid

25 minutes ago, Don Kotlos said:

That would be amazing. After that the only thing that needs to be addressed with E-M5III is the audio preamps. 

Maybe they’ll throw in a mini XLR too. The Mark II has that cool sync tone that works with their Olympus field recorder. I actually have an older model Olympus recorder and I love it... so even some kind of synced time code between their camera and recorders would be interesting.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
7 hours ago, mercer said:

Any chance of persuading Olympus to include 24p Raw video in the E-M5 III? Even ProRes Raw at 1080p or 2K would be pretty epic with their superior IBIS.

I can’t speak for what Olympus will or won’t do. But they certainly have heard from me about moving in that direction. They genuinely want to do better video, and they need to up their game and then some if they want to truely challenge Panny. 

JB

On 4/28/2018 at 7:09 PM, John Brawley said:

I think the EM1 mark 2 is a far better stills camera. 60fps RAW and ProCapture come to mind.

JB

Thanks for the comment John. Im curious to test one out. I was thinking of picking up a 12-100 with my BMPCC 4K and buying an EM1 mk2 with the 12-100 is a good deal so might as well pick that up as well. An EM1 mk2 as a B to a BMPCC 4k will be nice I think.  

• 3 months later...

Yeah if a person is into photos more than video the Olympus EM1 mk II has to be a no brainier. The weather sealing alone is a big plus, not counting OOC color is hard to beat also. And they have pretty much, other than Tilt n Shift, most all lenses covered. And even the video for the average person is really good enough. Yeah I really do miss my EM1.

Is it weird that I'm seriously considering trading my NX1 for one of these? Having played with one in the store the ergonomics are somewhat similar. Of course the advanced photo features I will probably never ever use but the combo of good Olympus color SOOC, amazing stabilization, over sampled 4k with a decent codec, and a non-dead lens system is really tempting. The only thing giving me pause is that the EM-5 III will likely have all of that as well in a smaller, cheaper package. And since I already traded my NX500 for a GX85 it seems like the logical next step.

P.S. If anybody has pull with Olympus please ask them to axe the 29 minute video recording limit for non-EU markets. Many people don't care but for those of us that film long static events (e.g. lectures) it is a major annoyance.

2 minutes ago, noplz said:

Is it weird that I'm seriously considering trading my NX1 for one of these? Having played with one in the store the ergonomics are somewhat similar. Of course the advanced photo features I will probably never ever use but the combo of good Olympus color SOOC, amazing stabilization, over sampled 4k with a decent codec, and a non-dead lens system is really tempting. The only thing giving me pause is that the EM-5 III will likely have all of that as well in a smaller, cheaper package. And since I already traded my NX500 for a GX85 it seems like the logical next step.

P.S. If anybody has pull with Olympus please ask them to axe the 29 minute video recording limit for non-EU markets. Many people don't care but for those of us that film long static events (e.g. lectures) it is a major annoyance.

I read that in 2019 they are going to take that limit off of Everything in the EU. Stupid rule to start with. Money grab from hell is all it was and is.

9 minutes ago, noplz said:

It’s not an Olympus rule. It’s an EU regulation to do with import duties. 

JB

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, anonim said:

Thanks for posting this. Because of this I found an interesting article/interview about the filmmaker that explains his one man band process and the use of Olympus cameras. I think this video was mostly done with the E-M5ii... which is very impressive.

41 minutes ago, anonim said:

I also found him as very interesting and inspiring freelance filmmaker... What I understood from interview, his recent works - i. e. that I posted - are done with his newest acquisition at 2016, em1 mk2... Earlier - not at all less interesting - logically, were with em5 mk2.

Yes it is definitely very inspiring. Maybe I misunderstood the article but it seems he filmed a section in the Summer of 2016 of the Fish Trapping video and then filmed the rest in the Spring of 2017. So I guess it was a mix of the two.

Either way, the E-M1ii shorts are impressive as are his earlier E-M5ii. The E-M5ii can be bought used for less than $500 and refurbished from Olympus for around $600. The E-M1ii can be had for about twice that. So both cameras are good deals right now for a very interesting image... I would say filmic even.

Plus, Olympus’ IBIS is freakishly good, almost to the point that it seems like you’re using a tripod while filming handheld.

On another note, I find his audio capture methods, as a working, one man band professional, to be very interesting.

Good find. Food for thought, as they say.

EDIT: To add, I know a lot of people feel that the Panasonic FF or P4K with B-Raw are the deciding factors, but I’m more interested to see what Olympus does with the E-M5 Mark III. I believe John Brawley has stated that he has spoken to Olympus a lot about upping their video game, so I’d love to see if they go ahead with 10bit video or maybe even something more.

As I’ve said in previously posts. I’m in the market for a second camera but I am in no rush... I could wait another 6 months to a year to see how things pan out... and I’d love to see Olympus get my money.

31 minutes ago, mercer said:

The E-M5ii can be bought used for less than $500 and refurbished from Olympus for around $600. The E-M1ii can be had for about twice that. So both cameras are good deals right now for a very interesting image... I would say filmic even.

Plus, Olympus’ IBIS is freakishly good, almost to the point that it seems like you’re using a tripod while filming handheld.

On another note, I find his audio capture methods, as a working, one man band professional, to be very interesting.

Good find. Food for thought, as they say. 

If you have someone in UK, there are now best prices... I have friends in UK and already made several purchases via eglobal - everything was extremely fast and professional.. At the moment list price for new em1 II is 890 pounds = about 1000e - 1180 USD.

https://www.eglobalcentraluk.com/om-d-e-m1-mark-ii-body-digital-camera-black-5tu6fva.html

I sold my Zhiyun Crane gimbals (and earn some money :) and rather look for best IBIS/image quality combination (of course with UW lens) for these proportionally rare walking-type shots that I really need. That's the reason I like em1 II. Being extremely hoarder and spare about video equipment, it looks to me funny to still wait a little bit and then buy Oly em1 II for the price I sold Crane 2 :)

And yes, I tried it with friend's camera and Voigt 10.5mm - with very easy care (even not ninja-style) walking you can get pretty close to gimbal smoothness.. Not to mention that I earlier get usable side running shots with GH5 and SLR Magic 10mm...

About "a very interesting image... I would say filmic even" -  I'd say, if someone can't achieve any type of image for 1080p delivering with today's top con/prosumer cameras and Resolve, well than... there's always at least one place/forum for exchanging day and night consolation and endless considerations... guess where it is :) 

4 hours ago, mercer said:

Thanks for posting this. Because of this I found an interesting article/interview about the filmmaker that explains his one man band process and the use of Olympus cameras. I think this video was mostly done with the E-M5ii... which is very impressive.

& here's a link to that interesting article https://www.olympuspassion.com/2018/03/21/making-documentary-short-film-olympus-e-m5-mk-ii/

53 minutes ago, anonim said:

If you have someone in UK, there are now best prices... I have friends in UK and already made several purchases via eglobal - everything was extremely fast and professional.. At the moment list price for new em1 II is 890 pounds = about 1000e - 1180 USD.

https://www.eglobalcentraluk.com/om-d-e-m1-mark-ii-body-digital-camera-black-5tu6fva.html

They are just pretending to be a UK website they are actually in Hong Kong. The reason that their prices are cheap is that they avoid paying tax & duty by falsely declaring the value of the items. Basically you are buying from smugglers.

There are quite a few similar websites doing the same. Tough luck if customs open your parcel because it will be you who has to pay the tax & customs duty. 

42 minutes ago, liork said:

Olympus could have made the E M1 II a video beast. But, they did not care to fix even the most basic bugs, like WB not stable in video and no auto iso in M mode. 

Maybe, I had no it for any extended period to check... But it seems that author of above posted clips has found nice solution for that camera's quirks and flaws?

From my side, I'm just trying to think by myself and to estimate and weight my own needs out of external influence ... So, for example, I've found that for my shooting purpose - that means, up to pretty serious short film attempts with non-professional actors - I got more respect, sympathy and willingness to play from others when I don't use too much equipment... I mean, after drone revolution etc. people in general and mostly expect marvel from technical stuff packed in little space so, contrary for higher budget and controlled movies, they look at me as more "professional" if I'm not suffering with clumsy gimbal while filming :) So my modest decision is always to have two cameras - both equally A-type - ready for use, mostly with two extremely fast primes (so to be prepared for many different light conditions), and being ready to move and construct shots fast and "elastically", immediately showing "actors" or, better, collaborators how things go evolving... Therefore best possible IBIS for me is the must.

So, Em1 II has its steady place in my consideration for such scenario...

13 minutes ago, nigelbb said:

They are just pretending to be a UK website they are actually in Hong Kong. The reason that their prices are cheap is that they avouc paying tax & duty by falsely declaring the value of the items. Basically you are buying from smugglers.

There are quite a few similar websites doing the same. Tough luck if customs open your parcel because it will be you who has to pay the tax & customs duty. 

Maybe, I don't know... All I know that I had no any problem with their service and quality. Besides, maybe something for their side could say fact that such extremely transparent and pretty longlive marketing must be under the control radar (at least by competitive sellers) and still not get any law sanctions or bad echo from customer? I'm really not in position to judge, people from UK probably know more, just as I wrote - every my purchases from them were completely fair till now... to knock to wood :) Actually, they help me to safely try, play and easy resell many of products from their shoplist, which is always big plus for me!