Olympus E-M1 II mini-review - a sign of things to come with the Panasonic GH5?

Andrew Reid

1 hour ago, DaveAltizer said:

Can you link the Cinema5D article? 

Hey Dave, was considering reading that article too. Then, I watched the video and must say, the grade is hiding the qualities of the camera well. So

I stopped looing for that article but recognized that Cinema5D is publishing articles on a daily basis now, which I found overwhelming regarding

the number and variety of topics. I used to enjoy to read John Behiris articles, who I haven´t read anything

from for a long time now. The video above is not overwhelmingly showcasing that beautiful Oly camera in my opinion.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
7 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

Hey Dave, was considering reading that article too. Then, I watched the video and must say, the grade is hiding the qualities of the camera well. So

I stopped looing for that article but recognized that Cinema5D is publishing articles on a daily basis now, which I found overwhelming regarding

the number and variety of topics. I used to enjoy to read John Behiris articles, who I haven´t read anything

from for a long time now. The video above is not overwhelmingly showcasing that beautiful Oly camera in my opinion.

I love to see people making videos with very little tools. 

That said, I thought the above video was shot well but it seems really blurry / out of focus which harmed my viewing experience. 

p.s I think the quality of Cinema5D has reduced quite significantly over the last couple of years. 

On 7/31/2017 at 7:25 PM, John Brawley said:

Hi.

A while coming but here's some 4K UHD files for download and a bit of a shoot with the new APO Cine primes in MFT mount. There's also some UHD Vimeo clips too.

https://johnbrawley.wordpress.com/2017/07/31/olympus-does-4k/

JB

It looks like Olympus upgraded the 1080p to 202mbps all-i from the 77mbps of the e-m5 Mark ii. Is it dramatically better?

22 hours ago, mercer said:

It looks like Olympus upgraded the 1080p to 202mbps all-i from the 77mbps of the e-m5 Mark ii. Is it dramatically better?

Yeah, I didn't make much ado about it, but I found the 1080 shots in these sequences to be really great.  I found the 4K / UHD made less of an impact to my eye.  The biggest thing they need to do now is 10 bit.  You just can't squeeze any more DR from 8 bit and have it look great.  

JB

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

A couple things video wise to note about the new firmware:

-C4K 24p has given bitrates of 100-150mbps in the handful of test clips I conducted in a not well lit environment. Previously I was struggling to ever get above 60mbps in basically every situation. Haven't tested extensively but it's a noticeable increase in their variable bitrate.

-1080p 60p/24p seems to look basically the same as before. I haven't been impressed with the 1080p quality on this camera so I tend to not use it.

Olympus has also released a LUT to convert their FLAT profiles to 709:

http://cs.olympus-imaging.jp/en/support/imsg/digicamera/download/software/3dlut/3dlutdl.cfm

-Mostly just seems like a curve adjustment, doesn't do much to the colors.

• 1 month later...
18 hours ago, anonim said:

Dang, those look pretty good. I preferred the look of the first one, but the Olympus Demo Video has some nice parts as well... particularly the gym workout sequence in the beginning (although I believe a can of haze or a fog machine may have helped there) and I liked the last snow sequence very much. Olympus’ 4K has a very organic look to it. Not too oversharpened and really nice colors. 

3 hours ago, mercer said:

Dang, those look pretty good. I preferred the look of the first one, but the Olympus Demo Video has some nice parts as well... particularly the gym workout sequence in the beginning (although I believe a can of haze or a fog machine may have helped there) and I liked the last snow sequence very much. Olympus’ 4K has a very organic look to it. Not too oversharpened and really nice colors. 

Roman Khlyustov is very gifted, highly pleasant young man with positive vibe. A much as I know, last two year he felt in love with Olympus promoting Em 1 especially for wedding video, about which Khlyustov often takes a tour teaching master class... But he also works in shorts - here are two wonderful works of him as DP and equally talented director Bayar Baradiev (indeed much to learn). First one is done on Canon 5d II, for the second (about one of the many old native people/language in Russia) I'm not sure, maybe also Olympus or Sony...

On 4/27/2018 at 12:43 AM, DaveAltizer said:

Is there any real benefit to EM1 II to GH5? I guess color science and IBIS is better? If I were only shooting manual focus I guess its better huh? 

I think the EM1 mark 2 is a far better stills camera. 60fps RAW and ProCapture come to mind.

JB