Olympus E-M1 II mini-review - a sign of things to come with the Panasonic GH5?

Andrew Reid

On 14 December 2016 at 10:54 AM, Don Kotlos said:

Exactly. Its truly an amazing camera when used primarily for stills, offering decent video as well.

But just for video? not a great value.  Maybe when a  proper log arrives with a firmware update will make it easier to swallow that price tag. 

The E-M5 series is meant to be the more video focused of the OMD line than the E-M1, so will be interesting to see what the E-M5 mark iii brings to the table.  Despite this, with the processing power in the E-M1 we could see some nice improvements with video AF, log profile and maybe some higher frame rates with future updates. I'm sure John Brawley is giving Olympus some good feedback on what they need to do from a video perspective. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
29 minutes ago, mat33 said:

The E-M5 series is meant to be the more video focused of the OMD line than the E-M1, so will be interesting to see what the E-M5 mark iii brings to the table.  Despite this, with the processing power in the E-M1 we could see some nice improvements with video AF, log profile and maybe some higher frame rates with future updates. I'm sure John Brawley is giving Olympus some good feedback on what they need to do from a video perspective. 

I really liked what he did with this video. Not sure if it's been posted before.

https://johnbrawley.wordpress.com/

16 hours ago, Stanley said:

Which camera, stills or video?

E-M1 II for video. It's one thing making a creative choice to crush the blacks, but all I see from this camera is next to no shadow detail. I personally like to have options. Not always does crushed blacks help to drive the story.

15 minutes ago, DBounce said:

E-M1 II for video. It's one thing making a creative choice to crush the blacks, but all I see from this camera is next to no shadow detail. I personally like to have options. Not always does crushed blacks help to drive the story.

Cool, I was responding @Mat33 and the E-M5 and what JB shot. Did you watch it? 

The EM-1 11 is really a stills camera.

21 minutes ago, DBounce said:

Where did you see crushed E M1 II blacks?

Looks pretty good! That's like the perfect lens line-up as well. 7-14, 12-40 & 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO zooms and then the 25mm f/1.2 PRO. Maybe the 75mm f/1.8 if you add portrait stuff. The 12-100mm f/4 PRO... I mean, nice 'n flexible, but it's f/4 on m4/3. Just doesn't quite do it for me, but perhaps for a journalism/documentary kind of thing perfect.

@Cinegain as usual I am on the move, and on mobile. Can you sum up the prices of the lenses you mentioned above? Geniounly interested to find out. And are equivalent that worth equal or more from the Pana side? I am considering the facts in case I want to move to GH5 later, and I would like to have some certain native lenses (I use the LS300 as well, so moving to m4/3 could be handy).

Well... they're called PRO lenses for a reason, let's just get that out of the way first. :tounge_wink: Then again, I already have the 7-14 & 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO zooms and 75mm f/1.8 (and the classic 45mm f/1.8 and 60mm f/2.8 macro), so I'm slowly heading there. :sweat_smile:

If I take geizhals.eu I roughly get 1035 (7-14), 899 (12-40), 1299 (40-150 without teleconverter, 1549 with), 1299 (25), 799 (75) = 5331 EUR (~5572 USD/~4538 GBP). Then you'll need the E-M1 Mark II, so that's 1999, but let's assume you buy the 12-40mm kit lens with it, saving you 299, so that's more like 1700 (2599-899). Then your grand total comes in at 7 grand. It's a lot of friggin' money. But you'd never really need another lens and you can all put it in a decent shoulderbag. Because that's still the beauty of it, how small the system actually is. The Olympus is a great system for those who care a lot about travel and want a versatile system to give them performance, flexibility and doesn't weigh them down. Of course you would probably just get it because you care a lot about stills photography and just happen to be A-OK fine with the video mode. It's not primarily a video production tool like the Panasonic GH flagship range is. Different people, different wishes, different cameras. Panasonic doesn't really have the same kind of line-up. Because Lumix ≠ PRO lenses and their Leica range mostly targets different areas.

I probably shouldn't add up the costs of all the gear I have lying around, because then I could probably kick myself in the head for not having bought a sweet pimped out ride instead.

24 minutes ago, liork said:

E-M1 Mark II vs A6500 ibis test 1080p:

Levels from the Sony recording are clipping, it takes the blue out of the sky.

It is disconcerting to me how many people do not seem to realize you should not output a video with levels outside the 16-235 range.