Olympus E-M1 II mini-review - a sign of things to come with the Panasonic GH5?

Andrew Reid

16 hours ago, John Brawley said:

I'm stuck in the middle of a series right now or else I'd have some actual real world examples to share with you.  It's not as good as others, but it's a huge leap forward for Olympus, even from their already greatly improved video on the EM5 Mark II.  In two models they've more or less caught up to others with comparable specs and for me, the pictures look better, until you go to 10 bit codecs.

JB

Hi JB, just wondering what series you're working on at the moment ?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I live in Melbourne so I'll apologise for the weather...thought you might be shooting The Warriors, I'm looking forward to watching it. John Howard must be laughing to himself having been a young recruited player in The Club, to a team official in The Warriors. Hope it's all coming together.

44 minutes ago, Stanley said:

I live in Melbourne so I'll apologise for the weather...thought you might be shooting The Warriors, I'm looking forward to watching it. John Howard must be laughing to himself having been a young recruited player in The Club, to a team official in The Warriors. Hope it's all coming together.

That's how John came to be cast ;-)

I grew up in Melbourne but this has been the worst Spring ever.

Warriors is all Ursa Mini 4.6K by the way, first time I've done that.

jb

• Administrators
On 11/29/2016 at 5:49 AM, John Brawley said:

It does look really good though.  I've been impressed how much of a leap this camera is.

JB

I am impressed with how little rolling shutter it seems to have in 4K.

A much better option than a Sony A6500 for handheld shooting, I think.

2 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

I agree.  The bit rate is a little concerning.  All of the footage I have downloaded has had very low bit rates.  The noise seems to be much better than on the GH4, so that is a plus.

On 30/11/2016 at 11:18 PM, Andrew Reid said:

I much prefer the most cinematic a6500 outcome. Either colors or low light response. Even though, not comparable as far as rolling shutter and IBIS concern for sure.

I do most if not all of my shooting handheld. If this camera can truly produce good 3200 video at 4k with the ability to disable in camera noise reduction then this is a beast of a camera. I don't need 10bit especially when shooting r709 and 420 color sampling isn't a problem when you can downres to faux 10bit 4444 1080. The olympus sounds like a dream camera when paired with something like a voigtlander 17.5mm f0.95

No one has yet answered my question "does this camera show automatic exposure values during video?" Does someone has this camera? Is it difficult to test? Can someone just test without a lecture of right ways to shoot video?

I cant understand why it is so illegal to use automatic exposure aids in video even with own risk of getting sharp motion or dangerous altering brightness during a clip.

Does anyone ever has took a photo with auto exposure?

13 minutes ago, liork said:

Yes, we use sometimes auto exposure in stills, so what? It is not relevant to video, your last sentence just show that you need to learn the basics of video shooting.

:anguished: 

I thought exposure values are the basics of photographing and shooting video regardless how we use those values.

On 28.11.2016 at 8:07 PM, Vesku said:

If I want to adjust my exposure the same way as in taking photos using shutter priority or aperture priority I would like to see the changing automatic value too. It would be very difficult to take photos with A or with auto iso if the camera is not showing all the exposure numbers.

29 minutes ago, liork said:

Yes, we use sometimes auto exposure in stills, so what? It is not relevant to video, your last sentence just show that you need to learn the basics of video shooting.

There is a topic for telling opinions and experiences how to adjust exposure:

4 hours ago, kidzrevil said:

The olympus sounds like a dream camera when paired with something like a voigtlander 17.5mm f0.95

I like the longer side of things, so my old 55mm FD @f1.2 on a speedbooster would be a lot of fun --and it would be around a f.08 equivalent, which ain't shabby.  I've pushed 4K video on my GX85 to the limit by shooting 24fps, 25 shutter, f.08, and 6400iso.

That's the realm of useable exposure with a single candle type of stuff.  The glow from a drag off a cigarette can illuminate a face.  6400 is a little noisy, but when you downconvert to 1080 and clean it up with some post processing, it holds together quite well.  Not ideal video, but when you're shooting doc stuff a nighttime, it's helpful to know you can push things that far.

Honestly, the aberration from the lens wide open looks worse than the grain of 6400.

But, yes, a set of voigtlander lenses for doc work would be pretty great.