4k shootout: G7 vs 5D4

Timotheus

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
57 minutes ago, hyalinejim said:

It's click bait BS. He couldn't even match WB between the two.

Oh the title is clickbait for sure. But the content is not too bad. I believe he says he uses same settings for all situations, although I'm unsure if that includes WB. Still, doesn't matter too much, as colour science from different manufacturers can vary (see: the eternal Canon vs. Sony debate). Main takeaway for me is the awesome value the Panasonic delivers.

On 11/24/2016 at 2:25 PM, hyalinejim said:

Yeah.  People seem intent on giving click bait as much free air time as possible.  Didn't even bother watching it.  I would like a 5D MK IV but realistically ending up with a G7 is more likely.  ONLY reason I would get a G7 is for video.  I would use the stills aspect because it comes with the package but I am sticking with Canon for stills for the foreseeable future.

I currently own a BMPCC that does things neither the G7 nor the 5D MK IV can do.  I don't really see the point of cherry picking and comparing the three of them.  You have to define your mission and then pick the right tool for the job.  Between the G7, 5D MK IV and the BMPCC I see missions for all three of them.

22 hours ago, Damphousse said:

Yeah.  People seem intent on giving click bait as much free air time as possible.  Didn't even bother watching it.  I would like a 5D MK IV but realistically ending up with a G7 is more likely.  ONLY reason I would get a G7 is for video.  I would use the stills aspect because it comes with the package but I am sticking with Canon for stills for the foreseeable future.

I currently own a BMPCC that does things neither the G7 nor the 5D MK IV can do.  I don't really see the point of cherry picking and comparing the three of them.  You have to define your mission and then pick the right tool for the job.  Between the G7, 5D MK IV and the BMPCC I see missions for all three of them.

I just came back from the Grand Canyon using a G7 and the stills I shot on full auto with it are pretty impressive. And the 4k Video is even more impressive! I even shot some of it using my 19x Fujinon ENG B4 lens. The reach on it is pretty unbelievable with the 2x extender on the lens and the 2x crop on the G7!! Helped a lot there. I think it worked out to be like a 34-620mm f3.6. Lens is a constant f1.8 so doubler hurts the f stop which you Have to use on m4/3 to cover the sensor. Lens is for 2/3 sensor. The lens also adds a bit of "grunge" which is good for a film look. It is no way as clear as even the cheap kit lens quality wise on the bigger sensor. But it works out great on videos. But no way you can handhold it, and it takes one heck of a good tripod and fluid head to keep it steady fullly extended. I even have to have a tripod lens support to help it. But it is really not that heavy of a lens as you would think for as crazy good they are. Parafocal and a constant f stop to boot. And I only paid 150 bucks for that one from Adorama. Cheap thrills. :grin:

I took a lot of photos with my iPhone 6s plus and they were darn good, and 4k videos on it are no slouch either. The colors on it were spot on I think. Pansonic G7 were a little weaker color wise overall. But I do have it set a little flatter in the settings. All in all a pretty light setup to carry artound all day. I used the G7 with a 14-45mm kit lens a lot of the time. I think my copy is pretty sharp, and it is one of the sharpest kit lenses made for m4/3. Not good in low light but...

On 11/24/2016 at 4:25 AM, hyalinejim said:

Just how is it click bait? The G7 is great value for $500 if you are a video shooter. I think Max is unbiased. And what does matching white balance between the two cameras have anything to do with sensor crop, rolling shutter, noise, resolution, etc.? Nothing...

On 11/25/2016 at 5:07 AM, Damphousse said:

He's not 'cherry picking'. He made it perfectly clear he was primarily interested in comparing video performance.  

On 11/24/2016 at 2:25 PM, hyalinejim said:

Click bait would've been "$500 G7 Crushes $3500 5D IV for 4K Video!!!" Max is just doing an honest, thorough, blind test of two very different cameras to give people an objective idea of how they perform for the money. The 5D IV is better in some areas, but the G7 remains an excellent value for $447 (or whatever the Black Friday sale was).

Ok, so "clickbait" is too strong a term, but "waste of my time" isn't quite as snappy.

My point is that in cases where it's difficult to discern a difference, people will choose the camera with preferable colour. So if you're going to do it, do it right and do a white balance. If not, expect to get called on it.

21 hours ago, hyalinejim said:

Ok, so "clickbait" is too strong a term, but "waste of my time" isn't quite as snappy.

My point is that in cases where it's difficult to discern a difference, people will choose the camera with preferable colour. So if you're going to do it, do it right and do a white balance. If not, expect to get called on it.

Maybe, but that wasn't really the point of the test, and it's aimed at people with keen enough eyes to judge only on the relevant metric.