Narrative Filmmaking - Best Camera Options

mercer

20 hours ago, Grimor said:

No, sorry.

I only own a G85 and Gh4 to compare.

I was looking at youtube and nobody seems to be comparing both colors/skin tones.

If you find a Gx85 vs G85 colors comparison, please post it here.

Grimor, how do you these camera's compare in terms of color, dynamic range, etc.? I'm currently trying to decide between the two of them as a used GH4 is pretty much in the same price bracket as the G85. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, John_Harrison said:

Grimor, how do you these camera's compare in terms of color, dynamic range, etc.? I'm currently trying to decide between the two of them as a used GH4 is pretty much in the same price bracket as the G85. 

If you're not going to use an external recorder, and you don't need 96fps, then 95% likely that the best choice for you is a G85

On 11/23/2016 at 8:57 AM, mercer said:

I thought it could be fun and informational to get some thoughts about what cameras are good for narrative filmmaking at different price points. 

• Up to $500

• $500 - $1000

• $1000 - $1500

• $1500 - $2000

• $2000 - $3000

• $3000 - $5000

• $5000 - $10,000

• $10,000 and above...

Obviously, most of us believe that a great film could be shot on a used EOS-M for a hundred bucks, if the idea and filmmaking is good, but I am curious to hear, from a technical standpoint, what everybody thinks is the best at those price points?

Are we talking camera body only? For the $5K-$10K UM46 easy. It starts at $5K but needs a bunch more, but still, best camera out there right now in price range easy.

On 23/11/2016 at 6:57 PM, mercer said:

I thought it could be fun and informational to get some thoughts about what cameras are good for narrative filmmaking at different price points. 

• Up to $500

• $500 - $1000

• $1000 - $1500

• $1500 - $2000

• $2000 - $3000

• $3000 - $5000

• $5000 - $10,000

• $10,000 and above...

Obviously, most of us believe that a great film could be shot on a used EOS-M for a hundred bucks, if the idea and filmmaking is good, but I am curious to hear, from a technical standpoint, what everybody thinks is the best at those price points?

Turn this into a poll please, would like to see consensus....

9 hours ago, Jonesy Jones said:

Are we talking camera body only? For the $5K-$10K UM46 easy. It starts at $5K but needs a bunch more, but still, best camera out there right now in price range easy.

"Easy"?! 

Depends lot on the person, for some a UM46 would be a poor decision and "easily" any one of Sony FS5 / FS7 mk1 / FS7 mk2 / Canon C300 mk2 (almost kinda fits in the price range) / RED Raven / Kinefinity Terra would be a way superior chose of a camera for that person's particular circumstances.