Film School

LippyLee

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 11/29/2016 at 0:34 AM, IronFilm said:
On 11/29/2016 at 11:07 PM, tupp said:

So many great have things been accomplished by those who were completely clueless to the impracticality of a challenge.

And so much money has been wasted and so many failures in the process too......    

There are certainly a lot of "failed" movies, but none of those failed because the director/DP/producer never interned in electric, grip nor art department.

A friend of mine used to key and best grip for John Toll, ASC, and he has a story about one time that he was scouting for a commercial on a remote road with Toll.  Toll turned to the key and said that the road needed to be flagged overhead for 1/4 mile of it's length.  The only way that they could get the shot without big stands in the frame was to use telephone poles.  So, they had to find a utility company that had a huge machine that could install telephone poles for 1/4 mile along the road, and they used those poles to fly the enormous solids.  No doubt, the shot turned out great.

However, I would wager that Toll only worked in camera dept. during his career, and probably only briefly as an AC.  As a DP who has spent a fair amount of time in electric and grip, I probably would have tried something more feasible, but perhaps less effective.  I don't know if I could even give that same instruction to the key -- I would have at least hesitated.  Greatness often comes from blissful ignorance.

On 11/29/2016 at 4:37 AM, kaylee said:

i got a p good fine art scholarship transferred to the film program ?  both weird majors for art center believe me i know. but my vision was always to learn from the whole school as much as possible. like i went and talked to the transportation design students and hung out with them (amazing), learned about rapid prototyping and stuff.

That's great!  You must be good to have gotten a scholarship.  When I attended, they didn't allow mixed majors.

not surprised that youre an art center alumnus @tupp~! youre smart

I have been called a lot of names, but never that!  Thanks for the kind word!

i avoided leaving with a huge amount of debt, but some ppl were in $300k+  thats frickin crazy. thats a house (not here tho lmao)

Those people would cry if they knew how little tuition was when I attended -- and, at the time, we all thought it cost a fortune!