Sony A6500 movie and photo samples are coming in

Cubanito

51 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

I am trying to find out if IBIS on the A6500 is significantly better than the A7S II, so far I feel it is a bit better but nothing dramatic

Indeed a bit better, far from the Olympus / Panasonic latest ibis. Does not give you smooth enough walking effect.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

So I noticed Cinema5d has a preliminary review on the camera. Upon reading up on it and from this thread my thoughts are this.

I understand the small form factor of the camera but why in the world would I want to buy a camera that that has a heat issue and the manufacturer knowingly issues the camera with a workaround mode. This doesn't solve the problem. I haven't used this or the a6300 but if I'm spending my money, I want something that will work where I won't have to worry about burning my hands. While I love what I've seen from Andrew's new profile for Sony cameras, so far I'm not sure I can justify purchasing a sony in the future. Unless this heat thing is overrated? (I realize this probably depends on shooting style/environment conditions on set etc.).

Well I just ordered one.  I want to see for myself!  It really depends on what you're using it for and your own preferences.  

Right now nothing can touch the image sharpness and lowlight capability / dr for the price.  It even has useable ibis and from what I have seen decent pdaf af. 

I just bought a panny g7 and the DR sucks compared to my Nikon d750. Not impressed at all at the shadow noise even at low ISO.

All of these cameras have compromises so far.  Xt2 no ibis and not good at low light, af good except no touch screen...  Em1 ii from what I've seen doesn't seem to do anything well either. I assume the g80 etc still have crap dr and noise like g7, and terrible af tracking.

This thread is already 5 pages long for a reason - the IQ from a6300 is mind blowing for the price.  Except for the stupid issues, Sony could have made s huge splash like gh4 level.

Everyone is secretly mad they didn't fix them because this camera could have been seriously awesome if they got rid of heat and RS.  instead they released version 1.5 instead of a proper 2.0

I agree, it could've been. Like the X-T2 could've been if it had sensor stabilization and a vari-angle touchscreen. But that's just it. They're not seriously awesome and that's because they lack those refinements. Atleast the Fuji is reliable and delivers on the promise on paper, so you know what you're getting yourself into. The A6500 just seems a hot mess. Pardon the pun.

@scotchtape are you comparing g7 with 750?! Are you serious? And I am pretty sure G7's DR destroys completely the iphone 6's DR! The Fuji has exactly the same Sony sensor, how is it worst in low light? Image quality seems better with Fuji, Nikon+Fuji seem to squeeze better performance from the same Sony sensors, than Sony. You can't really say that a6500 has a touch screen either, all the reviews state that the touch screen can do 2-3 things (exactly those), and only 1 works ok. The new Olympus, from what you have read here and elsewhere seems like NOT a good camera (?!)?! And doesn't do anything right? G80 isn't like the best value for money camera right now?! This thread is about 6500, not the 6300. 

I agree with @Cinegain (again!) but the vari-angle screen is not a nessecity for me anymore, and the way I use my cameras (cage, handling e.t.c) it could easily be a nuisance. The flip up-down/selfie screens are perfectly fine for me, even though it was strange when they first introduced, but this is just my opinion ofcourse.

Yeah, the D750 is a fullframe beast and it renders so organically. A no- or minimal-crop 4K successor would be mighty tempting. As much as I like the M43 system, the sensor performance really makes me want to get something S35/APS-C sized for dynamic range, better detail 'n stills and noise performance at ISO800+. My D5300 is great and lenses could be kept reasonably compact, light and affordable... but it's just not mirrorless and 4K. The Sony A6500 and Fuji X-T2 are, but have their own things to be nittpicky about. So, you look at what M43 has to offer. Well... it offers not so great sensor performance. But that's just something you need to face, acknowledge and work around... which can be done, and in the end the system and bodies are awesome to work with and the cost of a G7 is next to nothing.

About screens. There's a couple of reasons why I think the vari-angle screen is the way to go... if you have a tilt display that faces frontwards on top, it might be blocked by a hotshoe mounted microphone. If you have one that tilts down it hits a tripod (and generally speaking is the least favorable option, you can't even put the camera down like that). With a vari-angle display you can angle the camera 90 degrees sideways and still have the screen face you, allowing you for some inconspicuous and around-the-corner shots perhaps, you don't have to be behind the camera when you can be beside it. It's very useful for shooting stills in portrait mode. And... turn the screen around and put it back... it protects the display. To me, all considered, it's the implementation of a tilty flippy screen that makes the most sense. Possibly the weirdest implemention of a angular screen is found on the Pentax K-1. Imagine one of them motion flight simulators on hydraulic struts or a lunar lander. That's about the idea of it. It's almost as weird as Fuji's tilt/swivel screen... which I guess is implemented that way to atleast compensate for shooting in portrait orientation. But please just make it a vari-angle one... with full touch functionality already. Especially when selfies and vlogging are a thing now. The only thing that really speaks against a vari-angle screen is that it might eat up space around the side where you have your ports and might only be useful used in a certain position... or maybe you hate looking off to the side, not being in-line with the lens/sensor... or expanding your camera's size enveloppe. But you know, different people, different approaches. I certainly do see the vari-angle screen as the most versatile though.

Maybe the A6700 will have a little make-over. New design, more dials and buttons, better grip, better materials and hardware, more room for better internals. No more heat issues. Neglectable rolling shutter effect. Vari-angle fullly functioning touchscreen with a menu re-do. Fixed default color profiles... then they can count me in.

• 2 weeks later...

More than this or that upgraded camera feature, the proof is in the pudding...

Maybe that's just me but, these last two shots in the next clip, as for instance, justify a purchase, even from a GH5 early adopter...

I see these little Sony a6300/a6500 as another ballpark, even to each its own though -- cameras are like women, there's no other, there's no the same.

I guess you still can't have the screen and EVF in "Sunny" mode when filming 4k can you? I doubt the 6500 has fixed this. Hard to film what you can't see on sunny days. I sold my A7Rii because of this. I'd be interested to see their A7Riii and if they have this overheating issue fixed once and for all.

Anyone actually used an A6300 or 500 for an actual video project shoot?? a short film, anything where you need the camera to operate all day??

I really wanted to go with on of these cameras but the overheating issue cripples theses cameras for serious projects. How can you take the risk.

21 hours ago, Charlie said:

Anyone actually used an A6300 or 500 for an actual video project shoot?? a short film, anything where you need the camera to operate all day??

I really wanted to go with on of these cameras but the overheating issue cripples theses cameras for serious projects. How can you take the risk.

It requires a workaround. I saw a thread the other day where someone ran their Sony camera for 5 hours straight using a dummy battery.