Sony A6500 movie and photo samples are coming in

Cubanito

Wow I was really looking forward to getting this camera if most of the issues got fixed but it looks like it didn't...

I'm still using my D750 for video, but I really wish it was much sharper.  I just ordered the G7 on sale (kit for $500 usd) 'cause of the price to use for 4K downsampled to 1080p.  Also, from the samples I've seen the G7 seems to have better WB than the newer GX85 and G80, but I don't know if there is actually a difference in other areas (if the footage is any better).  From the shootouts the G7 looks better to me but maybe I am missing something.

From all of the sample footage I've seen, the A6300/A6500 is the sharpest 4K of them all.  

Also the video AF wasn't bad either compared to Panasonic and barely there for D750/5D3 etc.

I don't know what to do now!  I even got the MC-11 on sale... 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
34 minutes ago, wobba said:

With 4K, IBIS, touch screen and effective AF in video? 

I will better choose a GX85 everyday of the week, it´s a no brain decision, but in my particular case I will always go Canon route, the skin tones are the most important for me, and a XC15 is what I am saving to buy soon, or a C100 if there is a good deal….

3 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Yes it sounds good on paper but in reality the detail has to be pixel peeped by us to be determined as different, for the audience they won't care.

Ever heard of the Samsung NX1? That was doing a 6K readout 2 years ago, continuously for hours with no heat management problems.

I just cannot see how, as a package, the A6500 is all that remarkable.

Again it is a paper camera...

5 axis. AF tracking. S-LOG.

Amazing specs until you realise none of them work very well.

5 axis is better at Panasonic and Olympus.

AF tracking and LOG are better at Canon.

The fact that you need the above mentioned multiple cameras/systems to replicate what the Sony can achieve in a compact form factor for $1500 makes the A6500 look pretty remarkable.

31 minutes ago, hijodeibn said:

I will better choose a GX85 everyday of the week, it´s a no brain decision, but in my particular case I will always go Canon route, the skin tones are the most important for me, and a XC15 is what I am saving to buy soon, or a C100 if there is a good deal….

I was responding to your statement that there are better cameras for $1500.  Where can I buy an XC15 or C100 for $1500?

31 minutes ago, hijodeibn said:

I don't think it takes much pixel peeping to see the obvious resolution advantage of 6k oversampling in the a6500/a6300 over the crop 1:1 pixel 4k options out there:

https://***URL removed***/reviews/image-comparison/fullscreen?attr29_0=sony_a7sii&attr29_1=canon_eos1dxii&attr29_2=panasonic_dmcg85&attr29_3=sony_a6300&attr72_0=4k&attr72_1=c4k&attr72_2=4k&attr72_3=4k&normalization=full&widget=378&x=0.4307963787018565&y=-0.174296745725317

And once you put a Metabones Speed Booster on with some sharp fast Canon/Sigma primes, the stabilized full-frame look and detail/resolution is hard to beat, especially for the price.

Yes I think it's easier to get good skin tone color out of Canons, but with a little practice one can get similar results with Sony.

I think a lot of people are just fed up with Canon holding back so much in every camera they put out anywhere close to this price range.

8 hours ago, Simon Shasha said:

Nobody is happy. As per usual. If people can't make a film with the A6500, they couldn't make it with anything.

For me it stems from the fact that Sony sort of addresses some major complaints (limited functionality touch screen, overheating override instead of making changes needed to eliminate it) and fails to fix others (LCD darkening, awful rolling shutter).

I watched the Fuji Guys video on the $600 XA3's touchscreen, if Fuji can make one with such comprehensive abilities, surely Sony can instead of the half assed way its implemented on the a6500.

22 minutes ago, Trek of Joy said:

For me it stems from the fact that Sony sort of addresses some major complaints (limited functionality touch screen, overheating override instead of making changes needed to eliminate it) and fails to fix others (LCD darkening, awful rolling shutter).

I watched the Fuji Guys video on the $600 XA3's touchscreen, if Fuji can make one with such comprehensive abilities, surely Sony can instead of the half assed way its implemented on the a6500.

Sony probably could.

Regardless, my original statement still stands.

I'm not sure how old you are, but I used to use a Canon Scoopic Super 16mm camera 13 years ago. This has an OVF (so no real-time preview of your final shot like an EVF) and we used exposure-meters to nail exposure - perhaps I come from a bygone era, but for me, if we could get it done back then like that, then people these days have no excuse not to be able to get it done now.

But to be practical, I recommend forgetting about the touch-focus feature, and getting an LCD view-finder - not only will it cut out reflections, but magnify the LCD for you to help hitting focus. Will also help further with stabilisation when pressed up against your eye.

As for the rolling-shutter - I guess that will all come down to how one films. For scenes that have a lot of fast/dynamic/energetic kinetic movements, I recommend shooting in 1080P. I have the A6300, and find the rolling-shutter greatly reduced when shooting 1080P.

All in all, if you want the ultimate "run and gun" setup, I think the Panasonic GX85 with the 20mm F1.7, Speed Booster, and a couple of nice, fast prime lenses, would be the way to go. I think it's the better buy.

3 hours ago, Simon Shasha said:

Sony probably could.

Regardless, my original statement still stands.

I'm not sure how old you are, but I used to use a Canon Scoopic Super 16mm camera 13 years ago. This has an OVF (so no real-time preview of your final shot like an EVF) and we used exposure-meters to nail exposure - perhaps I come from a bygone era, but for me, if we could get it done back then like that, then people these days have no excuse not to be able to get it done now.

But to be practical, I recommend forgetting about the touch-focus feature, and getting an LCD view-finder - not only will it cut out reflections, but magnify the LCD for you to help hitting focus. Will also help further with stabilisation when pressed up against your eye.

As for the rolling-shutter - I guess that will all come down to how one films. For scenes that have a lot of fast/dynamic/energetic kinetic movements, I recommend shooting in 1080P. I have the A6300, and find the rolling-shutter greatly reduced when shooting 1080P.

All in all, if you want the ultimate "run and gun" setup, I think the Panasonic GX85 with the 20mm F1.7, Speed Booster, and a couple of nice, fast prime lenses, would be the way to go. I think it's the better buy.

I'm in my 40's, I've shot on Betacam so I'm more than thrilled with the powerful tools we have available today. I'm also heavily invested in Sony, but starting to rethink that decision since I also shoot a lot of stills and I'm really liking everything the XT2 does.

Just now, Trek of Joy said:

I'm in my 40's, I've shot on Betacam so I'm more than thrilled with the powerful tools we have available today. I'm also heavily invested in Sony, but starting to rethink that decision since I also shoot a lot of stills and I'm really liking everything the XT2 does.

Nice :) You've probably got more experience than me, then, I'm 31 :)

X-T2 looks great. Colours are awesome. I'm basically in your position - heavily invested in Sony, but tempted by X-T2 - mainly for photography, actually.

I use my Blackmagic Micro setup for more serious shoots/clients - but never for "run and gun" stuff.

I am really liking the image from the GX85. Especially the 5-Axis stabilisation performance, and really good rolling-shutter performance. I'm considering the GX85 with a 20mm F1.7, and Metabones SB for the Canon-EF primes I already own.

I'm not someone that shoots in "no light", so any camera than can handle ISO800 is plenty for me. I have really high hopes for the GH5. Also hoping to see a Blackmagic Pocket Mark II in 2017 ;)

21 hours ago, wobba said:

I was responding to your statement that there are better cameras for $1500.  Where can I buy an XC15 or C100 for $1500?

As I already answered you, a GX85 is a better camera, and is a lot cheaper!

19 hours ago, lwestfall said:

I don't think it takes much pixel peeping to see the obvious resolution advantage of 6k oversampling in the a6500/a6300 over the crop 1:1 pixel 4k options out there:

https://***URL removed***/reviews/image-comparison/fullscreen?attr29_0=sony_a7sii&attr29_1=canon_eos1dxii&attr29_2=panasonic_dmcg85&attr29_3=sony_a6300&attr72_0=4k&attr72_1=c4k&attr72_2=4k&attr72_3=4k&normalization=full&widget=378&x=0.4307963787018565&y=-0.174296745725317

And once you put a Metabones Speed Booster on with some sharp fast Canon/Sigma primes, the stabilized full-frame look and detail/resolution is hard to beat, especially for the price.

Yes I think it's easier to get good skin tone color out of Canons, but with a little practice one can get similar results with Sony.

I think a lot of people are just fed up with Canon holding back so much in every camera they put out anywhere close to this price range.

I disagree, yes, with DaVinci you really can improve the skin tones from Sony, but they are never going to look like out from Canon cameras, just watch the last examples that Andrew uploaded, the science behind the two cameras is totally different, I am not telling you one is better than other from an objective point of view, in my particular case, I really dislike the skin tones from Sony, people looks horrible (Andrew uses the world dead), and for me that is the most important, if you really don`t care about skin tones then probably Sony is a much better camera, I am also burnt with Canon holding back so much, it is really frustrating, but I have to film a doc next year, so I will have to do it with what is available, going XC15 for now, or C100 if I got a good sale!!!

4 hours ago, hijodeibn said:

As I already answered you, a GX85 is a better camera, and is a lot cheaper!

Cheaper, yes?  Better, how?  The GX85 lacks an effective AF system.  And the exposure stepping is downright ugly.  The audio preamps in the GX85 are also extremely noisy.

8 minutes ago, wobba said:

Cheaper, yes?  Better, how?  The GX85 lacks an effective AF system.  And the exposure stepping is downright ugly.  The audio preamps in the GX85 are also extremely noisy.

Let´s see, better IBIS in the market now, do not overheat, you can literally stay filming the whole day, colors (no need to justify this one, it is so obvious), and you can move the camera around with confidence, not an horrible RS like the A6500….yes, it is a better camera for an experience filmmaker, who has the skill to manage the focus, who also use a pro audio equipment and do not rely in very bad audio camera recordings, a Z1 is really cheap, and a powerful tool in the right hands……of course for a blogger who is doing casual videos for youtube and lack of the skills learned by the pro, probably the A6500 could be a better camera, but I think those guys were smart enough to choose the Canon 80D, since they really don´t need 4K after all……the new A6500 was just released this year since Sony knows after the GH5 is in the market is game over for this line, the only think that could save it is if Panasonic is stupid enough to set a price around US$ 2,000 instead of US$1,500, if GH5 is released at US$1,500 the A6500 will devalue most probably 1/3 of its current price the same day!!!…..and guess what?, yeah, the Canon 80D will cost just a little less,  those tricky smart bloggers really know what they are doing….do not underestimate them!!!!

So according to Max and in a few words, this is a sony a6300 with great IBIS and unusable screen in outdoor conditions. Touch functionality is there just to fill the specs and it still overheats (there is again that random QC thing so let's say that if i order one and i am not Philip Bloom it will overheat....right?). All these in a camera body that here in Europe will start selling at 1700 euros (1800 usd)....I don't get it... Panasonic must unleash that thing quickly (but they have no reason to be in rush, do they?).

On ‎11‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 10:42 AM, hijodeibn said:

Sony skintone is terrible, and this new camera is US 1,500, mmm!!! there are much better options out there…..

What is wrong with the skin tones? The outdoor scenes looked normal, while the concert scenes were shot under red lights, so obviously white balance is not going to be correct.

10 hours ago, hijodeibn said:

Let´s see, better IBIS in the market now, do not overheat, you can literally stay filming the whole day, colors (no need to justify this one, it is so obvious), and you can move the camera around with confidence, not an horrible RS like the A6500….yes, it is a better camera for an experience filmmaker, who has the skill to manage the focus, who also use a pro audio equipment and do not rely in very bad audio camera recordings, a Z1 is really cheap, and a powerful tool in the right hands……of course for a blogger who is doing casual videos for youtube and lack of the skills learned by the pro, probably the A6500 could be a better camera, but I think those guys were smart enough to choose the Canon 80D, since they really don´t need 4K after all……the new A6500 was just released this year since Sony knows after the GH5 is in the market is game over for this line, the only think that could save it is if Panasonic is stupid enough to set a price around US$ 2,000 instead of US$1,500, if GH5 is released at US$1,500 the A6500 will devalue most probably 1/3 of its current price the same day!!!…..and guess what?, yeah, the Canon 80D will cost just a little less,  those tricky smart bloggers really know what they are doing….do not underestimate them!!!!

Both the A6500 was designed for high end consumers, not moviemakers, so the "flaws" that concern you are irrelevant for the target market.

The A6500 will not lose "1/3 of it's current value in the same day" when the GH5 is released, because the GH5 does not have the brand presence in the target market. YOU might like the GH5 (or some other camera), but that does not mean the A6500 will become irrelevant.

I remember when I bought the nex7 and it was so frustrating to use because of the constant overheating, but I tolerated it at the time because there was not many other cameras capable of 1080p60 in the price range. That was like 4-5 years ago or something? We are still complaining about the same issues and to me it's just shocking that they haven't already changed the form factor or done some other modifications to get rid of this problem that shouldn't exist in the first place.

34 minutes ago, tugela said:

The A6500 will not lose "1/3 of it's current value in the same day" when the GH5 is released, because the GH5 does not have the brand presence in the target market. YOU might like the GH5 (or some other camera), but that does not mean the A6500 will become irrelevant.

The a6500 will definitely loose 1/3 of it's current price anyway, just as a6300 did. By the time GH5 is out (Feb-March maybe?), Sony will have the a6700 (or something like that) ready for production. This has nothing to do with gh5 or what the average consumer wants. It's just Sony's strategy. When something new pops up from their R&D departments, it's instantly incorporated into the next design in a 6 month cycle, just the opposite from what Canon does. This leads to innovative BUT immature & untested products & brings huge sales after targeted marketing campaigns. This is how Sony choosed to move on, sadly. A side effect to this strategy is the shrinking value of these products, every time the next model is out (which is 6 months from now). Panasonic doesn't do this, nor Canon, nor Fuji, nor Nikon. This is why SONY SUCKS and not because of their skintones which i personally like :).