11/17 Freeman's latest: youth focused documentaries in Rochester, NY

freeman

HEY filmmakers, wanted to share my latest out here with you guys!

This is a short doc about a great youth mural arts program here in Rochester. We had some amazing mural artists work and mentor city youth for a summer program with the end result being to beautify the local recreation centers, adding some much needed color and art to them. 

some gear details for the gear people: all was shot with a .71 speedboosted GH4, the 18-35 1.8 and a nikon 50 1.4.

**BONUS ROUND** there are 3 or 4 shots in here that were filmed with an old school Angenieux 12-120 c mount zoom... can you spot them? :P (they are all in a row)

Filmmaking BTS: I basically checked in with the program every week until at the end I had amassed a -ton- of footage. After organizing it I filmed the interviews. Now.. I like working this way because you can really build up a deep story with a lot of great candid moments from throughout your subjects timeline. Often you can have exact b-roll matching an interviewed comment. However, working like this is always tough in the edit especially if you are the camera operator as well as the editor. I often find it hard to distance myself from the footage and chop up the film critically in the editing phase.

I find when shooting programs like this there's always the balance between efficient planning and getting what you know you want, as well as being receptive and letting the little moments come your way. One example is when the young girl was speaking spanish with one of the youth mural artists. I was so happy to capture that moment and let it play out in front of me. So enjoy this little glimpse into Rochester.

Also: Here is a film produced mainly for viewing by schools and school staff but I think the EOSHD people here will like it because all of the interviews were filmed with my favorite portrait lens: The Nikon 50mm f2. Love this little dude for faces because it is sharp yet a little more forgiving than my more modern 50 1.4.

BTS: This was all interview, and lots of whittling down. Many of these youth were nervous, and I had lit the space. I knew this would put some of them off.. lighting and microphones and a camera pointed at you. So we really had to work to make these kids feel comfortable. However I wanted this to be lit well because I wanted the youth to be presented in a way that made them look professional. I was inspired by some NYT interviews that were well lit and thought that these youth deserve the same quality. Conflict resolution at so many of our schools here in Rochester is basically suspension from school. The Gandhi Institute center for nonviolence (who commissioned me to produce this film) wanted to have the youth speak in their words about how these restorative techniques are helping them. 

Ok there you have it, thanks for reading and watching everyone.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs