C500 shoot.

Dave Maze

49 minutes ago, DaveAltizer said:

Sorry for the miscommunication. I meant slow to work with as in the camera itself moves slow. It boots up slow. Using the odyssey recorder is clunky. It feels like an old camera for sure. The sensitivity of the camera is really good! 

How's the 4K compared to 1DC? I'm sure the Prores codec is much nicer to grade.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Thanks for clearing that up, I was confused because I assumed it was light sensitive. I agree about the Q7 being clunk to work with even though it's very impressive in other ways. I always found the C500 through the Q7 to be extremely sharp at 4k, far sharper than the Epic or Alexa, but the color straight to prores seems odd to me and I've seen mosquito noise and aliasing that's a bit annoying. Never worked with the raw files, but it seems like a camera that's halfway there to me.

12 hours ago, Matthew19 said:

How's the 4K compared to 1DC? I'm sure the Prores codec is much nicer to grade.

The C500 is way sharper and cleaner than the 1DC 4K and I'm sure it's because of the lack of compression of course. The C500 image I'm looking at is one of the best images I've worked with next to Amira. I'm convinced for sure. Really cool stuff. 

7 hours ago, Policar said:

Thanks for clearing that up, I was confused because I assumed it was light sensitive. I agree about the Q7 being clunk to work with even though it's very impressive in other ways. I always found the C500 through the Q7 to be extremely sharp at 4k, far sharper than the Epic or Alexa, but the color straight to prores seems odd to me and I've seen mosquito noise and aliasing that's a bit annoying. Never worked with the raw files, but it seems like a camera that's halfway there to me.

I haven't noticed the noise or aliasing but I've just been looking at dailys on my laptop.  Need to see a proper image on my 27" 5k iMac. Going to upload some screen grabs here today.

Here are some rough graded screen grabs from our shoot. All shot RAW Cinema 4K to 4K ProRes HQ. Also, here is a DB link to the ungraded TIFFs: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xltljff7euy65iq/AABIShq-mPu2YdYVmLRqpRUIa?dl=0 I included a chip chart on some of the interview setups too if you guys wanna have a crack at it. 

C500 test 01.jpg

C500 test 02.jpg

C500 test 03.jpg

C500 test 04.jpg

C500 test 05.jpg

C500 test 06.jpg

C500 test 07.jpg

C500 test 08.jpg

C500 test 09.jpg

C500 test 10.jpg

C500 test 11.jpg

C500 test 12.jpg

C500 produces breathtaking images, but I need to mention two C500 woes:

Loud fan noise makes sync sound impossible (especially in 4K RAW mode)

Dynamic range and highlight roll-off (if you light and control the scene DR within 12 stops that the camera can capture, the images are organic and gorgeous, but if there were clipped highlights, they are usually harsh and digital looking.)

7 minutes ago, Luke Mason said:

Dynamic range and highlight roll-off (if you light and control the scene DR within 12 stops that the camera can capture, the images are organic and gorgeous, but if there were clipped highlights, they are usually harsh and digital looking.)

YES!!! Our audio guy was so pissed about that fan for the interviews. He got a room tone with the fan noise in it so he can paint it out in post but kinda a pain that he has to do that. Without the fan the camera started to overheat after like 10 minutes and it wasn't hot where we were at all. 

Ya the DR isn't the best in the world but its fine. But you can see in some of the blown out spots in the images above that you're right the hot spots do look "digital"

1 hour ago, Luke Mason said:

How bad are we talking? I've seen tons of interviews shot with this camera. A close proximity boom with a nice mic and a LAV has to be workable. 

Interesting. The C300ii has pretty much unlimited DR, but the noise is a lot worse. The F3 is actually really really good as well, but not 4K, colors probably aren't as nice in mixed lighting, either.

Edit: Those are really nice looking frames. So full of color. The Fs7 can't touch that...

Looks like you had a lot of fun with the shoot! I just bought a C500 and the Odyssey Q7+, I had started a thread over on DVXUSER Fan noise be gone! There is a solution to the fans on the C500 that kick in 7-10 minuets in while recording in 2K and 4K mode:

http://mattporwoll.com/problems-solved/

I bought one of these units through AbleCine here in LA, the fan system looks streamline on the C500, and even better it works and is super quite while on! You can read all about the fan noise in the DVX thread, it goes back to some other thread spinoffs that talk about solving the fan noise issue. Now I can roll on those long winded interviews without that dreaded fan whining noise kicking in recording in 2K or 4K :) 

32 minutes ago, Dogtown said:

Looks like you had a lot of fun with the shoot! I just bought a C500 and the Odyssey Q7+, I had started a thread over on DVXUSER Fan noise be gone! There is a solution to the fans on the C500 that kick in 7-10 minuets in while recording in 2K and 4K mode:

http://mattporwoll.com/problems-solved/

I bought one of these units through AbleCine here in LA, the fan system looks streamline on the C500, and even better it works and is super quite while on! You can read all about the fan noise in the DVX thread, it goes back to some other thread spinoffs that talk about solving the fan noise issue. Now I can roll on those long winded interviews without that dreaded fan whining noise kicking in recording in 2K or 4K :) 

Wow! Awesome. Thanks for sharing!