Metabones Speedbooster compatibility with Zeiss ZE FS700

35Mill

The speedbooster won't communicate with my Zeiss ZE's (28mm,35mm,50mm,85mm) on my FS700. Canon L series work fine (24-105mm, 17-40mm, 70-200mm F2.8 II)

Some of the Zeiss ZE's are on the approved list, some aren't- but they all lockup the camera for me, leaving it bricked until you pull the battery. I have contacted Metabones, and they say they tested them to work. I also have the standard Metabones adaptor which works fine with all lenses.

Anybody else out there used the Zeiss's with the FS700? Love to hear your results, as Metabones aren't helping right now. It is reminicent of the first adaptor which had to be returned twice for firmware updates in the first 3 weeks. Not sure this is ready for primetime use yet...

cheers

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

That sounds very strange... but let me ask a couple of questions...

1. if you try holding down the WO button on the adapter while you attach the lens, does your camera boot up successfully?
  2. was your regular Metabones Mark I or Mark II? What was its firmware version?

My camera is at Sony for the moment (LCD dead pixels being repaired), will have to check on the WO button when it returns.

However, all the Canon glass works fine, can even hotswap lenses.

Metabones regular was the Mark 1, but it had returned to Hong Kong twice for firmware updates, most recently in March 2012. Had the internal felt added also, but I'm unsure what version it has as a result. Will check in th FS700 menu when it returns. I'd guess v3?

The Zeiss lenses aren't on the approved list, but Mark from Metabones says they should work. Can you confirm they have been tested with an FS700?

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Just got the camera back, and yes if you hold the WO button down you can attach the lens successfully. You don't need to do this with the original adaptor. The camera (Sony NEX-FS700) is running version 1.00 and my original Metabones adaptor is Ver. 04

Any thoughts? Is there a firmware fix in the offering?

Thanks

A Canon lens works regardless of whether the Speed Booster's WO button was pressed or not?

I spoke with Metabones on the phone about your case. They were like... we had a FS700 and a ZE 35/2... so of course it worked! But I asked them, whether they had tested that exact combination, and they were like... errrh... maybe... not 100% certain. Maybe they did test that exact combination but they couldn't remember. Anyhow they said they were going to retest that exact combination. Let's see how it goes.

By the way did you happen to have a multimeter handy? You may contact me directly at conurus at gmail dot com. I would like you to do 1 more test if you wouldn't mind...

Anyway, Metabones just specifically tested this exact setup: ZE 35/2 + Speed Booster + FS700. Works with or without WO button pressed. There has been only one firmware for Speed Booster (version 16) so far, so your SB already has the latest firmware. We can thus conclude you have a defective unit. I will send you their address for product returns.