Inspire 2 / 5.2K raw / 4K60FPS

wolf33d

this is copied from dpreview, looks interesting!

"Visually similar to the original Phantom 4, the Phantom 4 Pro includes a camera with a 1" 20MP sensor with ‘almost’ 12 stops of dynamic range. Of particular interest, the Phantom 4 Pro has a mechanical shutter to eliminate rolling shutter effects from fast motion. It can record 4K/60p video at 100 mbps and offers H.265 video compression."

can i just order the camera on the P4 Pro? lol. looks like better than any 1" compact camera offerings on the market at the moment. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Wow, as a Phantom 3 Pro owner, the Phantom 4 Pro is really, really tempting. I want to see customer demo videos though. I love flying the P3P but the video is mushy, especially in low light. Reminds me of pre-hack GH1. As a drone flyer who would hire out a licensed pilot for any pro shoot, 5K raw is overkill but a P4P camera upgrade is very welcome if it holds up.

37 minutes ago, photographer-at-large said:

Even their CrystalSky monitors are interesting.....has anyone found pricing info, and can they be used as regular hdmi monitor?

http://www.dji.com/mobile/crystalsky

Note that the controller is NOT included in the Phantom 4 Pro pricing- it is $300 extra. You can use your old controller/tablet.

Pricing seems pretty good at $1500 but then you start adding in all of the required accessories- backpack, at least 2 extra batteries, etc and it starts to add up.

15 hours ago, Antonis said:

Correct me if Im wrong, but that still needs a recorder unit, no?

Yep and from the behind the scenes of circle it looks the recorder is the inseparable from quadcopter. 

They might come up with a seperate handheld base, it won't be cheap but probably cheaper than the quad.  

What I need is a Mavic design, even if it is bigger no pbm, with the camera of P3P. 

0 advantage of keeping the horrible P4 design. So inconvenient to carry around. 

i need portability since i travel all the time and hike and do all kind of extreme sports. But at the same time I do commercial shots. Having best IQ at smallest package is key. 

This is a pretty cool update, I'll wait for the version that doesn't require me to walk around with a big goofy drone for handheld shots. They'd sell a LOT of the camera/osmo combos if you didn't need a drone for the recorder. I'd buy the 1" version with the gimbal in a heartbeat.

DJI, are you listening?

2 hours ago, Trek of Joy said:

This is a pretty cool update, I'll wait for the version that doesn't require me to walk around with a big goofy drone for handheld shots. They'd sell a LOT of the camera/osmo combos if you didn't need a drone for the recorder. I'd buy the 1" version with the gimbal in a heartbeat.

DJI, are you listening?

Seriously, just give me the camera and I'll buy it.

13 hours ago, Trek of Joy said:

DJI, are you listening?

i went back to re-read the press release, apparently they did just that but the Inspire 2 and P4 pro stole the lime light. DJI now offer X4s which is the 1" sensor. they havent specifically said it can be mounted on the Osmo grip, but if it has the same mount as the x5/x5r, i dont see why it cant be used as such. exciting time ahead!!

Copy from press:

"DJI has also released two new Zenmuse cameras for use with the Inspire 2. The Zenmuse X4S includes a 1" 20MP sensor with 11.6 stops of dynamic range, a 24mm F2.8-11 lens and a mechanical shutter."

DJI's own page:

http://www.dji.com/zenmuse-x4s

17 hours ago, Pavel Mašek said:

I bet it is sensor from Sony RX100(IV or V). I read somewhere it has Sony Exmor sensor and it has exactly same resolution and size as RX100. Even bitrate is same what I know.

i bet it is too, but the fact that they can do 60fps is impressive. since the camera/sensor module is mounted away from the drone main body may be thats how they can get away with the heat issue. the larger drone body allows it to spread the heat much more effectively (purely my guess).

It is very impressive, I love how they shot that film with the drone only. I really hope they update the Osmo line as well to use the new X5 with it, it would be even more perfect to build in a lightbridge connection so you can monitor (or control) the gimbal from a distance. I wouldn't be suprised if DJI is going to become a camera company, they make awesome products. To bad their customer support sucks, although until now I never had to deal with it.

On ‎11‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 8:14 AM, BookMark said:

i went back to re-read the press release, apparently they did just that but the Inspire 2 and P4 pro stole the lime light. DJI now offer X4s which is the 1" sensor. they havent specifically said it can be mounted on the Osmo grip, but if it has the same mount as the x5/x5r, i dont see why it cant be used as such. exciting time ahead!!

Copy from press:

"DJI has also released two new Zenmuse cameras for use with the Inspire 2. The Zenmuse X4S includes a 1" 20MP sensor with 11.6 stops of dynamic range, a 24mm F2.8-11 lens and a mechanical shutter."

DJI's own page:

http://www.dji.com/zenmuse-x4s

i bet it is too, but the fact that they can do 60fps is impressive. since the camera/sensor module is mounted away from the drone main body may be thats how they can get away with the heat issue. the larger drone body allows it to spread the heat much more effectively (purely my guess).

x5s and x4s have different mounts than the x5 and need a new osmo that is not yet announced but should come.

Dji drones have cooling fans so that makes 60fps possible plus as you said the space

2 hours ago, photographer-at-large said:

Interesting information.

My bad, I thought they would be able to record video on SD cards at least (SSD on board on Inspire 2). Therefore, they could be a curious GH5 competitor with 4/3" format, 4K/60p, still a chance for V90 SDXC route (= 720Mbps; ProRes begins at 500Mbps, without mention V60 cards for ProRes LT or 1080HQ at 220Mbps).

Pity, that said, they're losing a fine chance to be a competitive camera company.  

dude that inspire 2... the operators are using it as a gimbal, a drone, and the main cameras. I'm assuming you can't, but will the camera be able to be used on it's own rigging solution or are you forced to carry the whole quadcopter around? That was slightly funny, I saw they had a monitor mounted on it. 

$6k for the interchangeable lens camera, copter, and cinemadng/pro res license. Will need an extra couple grand for storage and other accesories... so like... $8k for a raw camera / gimbal / drone setup. 

Someone talk me out of this? Am I the only one considering this?

I have a feeling that the next osmo is going to be insane. Rumours are that it could be released mid next month. Since the drone is doing some of the image processing and not the camera I think there will be a new handle.  And as stated above it's a different mount. 

'I really enjoy the x3 osmo but it's image it's not great. Between DJI and Sony camera tech is really being pushed at a rapid rate. Although this hurts my wallet I'm very excited and have started building a war chest just in case.