Double focusing solved?

Laquaglia Punto Ernesto

Hi everyone! 

I would like to share this theory with you all because I am in no position to test it out without spending a small fortune. Recently I cam across this:
https://www.pdmovie.co.uk/collections/remote-air-mini/products/pdmovie-mini-02-remote-air-mini-dual-channel?variant=19159935171

The follow focus works via bluetooth. you can download it's app from the apple app store it only works with iOs devices at the moment. 

Fiddling with it a bit I found myself thinking: "If you could set the focus markings for the anamorphic lens on the FOCUS section of the app, set the markings of the taking lens on the IRIS section, then link all the marks together so, the problem should be solved right?"

Do you think it would be possible to link two channel and synchronize them like the genius behind this?:

Or hack the app so to be able to using it in that way? I am no expert of programming, but the people behind PDMovie could be really in a position to make double focusing easier,  IMHO

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

There is a way even easier. Without servomotors. My colleague from Russia solved double focus in mechanic. Only difficulty is to calculate the ana attachment moves and the lens. And nonuniversal this method, only one lens may be used. But cool and less bulky than with motors.

His site http://pooli.ru/

XNd_YcyTwKA.jpgCPe_LSmcNj4.jpg

In this way, just have strong breathy effect, not very good for video as focusing unit.  Similar to what I modified as auto focus lens for photography, that is excellent.  But nowadays, most digital lenses are made as internal focus lens, which cannot be used.

44 minutes ago, ken said:

In this way, just have strong breathy effect, not very good for video as focusing unit.  Similar to what I modified as auto focus lens for photography, that is excellent.  But nowadays, most digital lenses are made as internal focus lens, which cannot be used.

Someone like this effect :grimace: . And first solution in this thread can make breathing effect too in case similar lenses as 35nap 2-3m. It's just one of the possible solutions, each will choose for themselves what is right

If I knew of a way to hack into the pdmovie app and link the two channel together that would be my option of choice. And when I say "if I knew" I mean that unless someone else comes up with a way of doing that, I would have to learn how to do that.. And I guess it would take me a few good years starting now! :D 

what I kinda know is that app design for iOs is an easier environment than Android. 

I am no hacker at all, but maybe there is a way do design an app in Android to "take over" the pdmovie motors and program them in a way I mentioned above. :) Those motors do not look bulky at all to me

8 hours ago, Justin Bacle said:

I was thinking about a solution like this using a couple of servomotors and an arduino. Give me a week to come with a solution on paper ;) I'm sure it's not that difficult and way cheaper than the other solution

By the way, would really love to see what you are coming up! :)

3 hours ago, Laquaglia Punto Ernesto said:

I believe that the rangefinder degrades the image too much for my taste :), I mean I could use it if I wanted a specific effect, but my experience with it have left me with a bit bitter, oh and I LOVE the focus breathing you get with double focusing 

I know, that's why I wrote "or other optics", 3 other companies are pushing their optics on the market, we have a selection now. But you can't have everything in one focusing solution (sharp glass/no lens breathing/no aspect ratio change/lightness) and get if for cheap.

15 hours ago, funkyou86 said:

Great invention but I don't see the reason of using this heavy, bulky (double)focusing mechanism over a rangefinder or other optics.

I don't think the rangefinder fits on the NAP3-2M, being a very bulky projector anamorphic adapter.
Plus the NAP3 is super cheap (got mine for 40€ on ebay), so I cannot justify putting a $500 rangefinder in front of it. (But I'm still putting money aside to buy a Rangefinder/rectilux for my Isco).

The best thing with the NAP3-2M is that it is super cheap and a fun lens. I had absolutely no second-thoughts about opening mine. Which I won't do with more expensive (refined) anamorphics. Great for this kind of experiments !

47 minutes ago, Justin Bacle said:

I don't think the rangefinder fits on the NAP3-2M, being a very bulky projector anamorphic adapter.
Plus the NAP3 is super cheap (got mine for 40€ on ebay), so I cannot justify putting a $500 rangefinder in front of it. (But I'm still putting money aside to buy a Rangefinder/rectilux for my Isco).

The best thing with the NAP3-2M is that it is super cheap and a fun lens. I had absolutely no second-thoughts about opening mine. Which I won't do with more expensive (refined) anamorphics. Great for this kind of experiments !

Okay, so how will this focusing mechanism fit your NAP3-2M, also do you think the price of this mechanism (with servo motors) will be cheaper than the RF?

When I looked into making a slave motor drive to sync taking and scope lens - it quickly became clear that to do properly would incur about the cost of buying an iscorama or cine anamorphic. You really need a stepper motor solution, ideally with zero backlash (to avoid mechanical drift in movement) - also a flexible interface to accommodate the offset for different taking lenses with varying focus rotation throw. In a nutshell, a vari-diopter or DIY front element mod solution is the cost effective way to convert most lenses to single focus IMO.