Is Mitakon f0.95 +Speedbooster on MFT possible?

ThomHaig

Hey everyone,

I saw Mitakon do some crazy fast 35 + 50mm f0.95 lenses. I'd be interested in using these with a GH4, and whilst they do a Micro 4/3 mount version of these lenses, since I own a Metabones speedbooster (EF), I'm keen to figure out of they can mounted onto that. Whilst that amount of speed would be great, the 35mm with the speedbooster would be a great focal length for me. They cover an APS-C area, however for APS-C cameras, the lens only comes in Sony E / Fuji X and EOS-M mounts - are any of these capable of being adapter to EF, for my speedbooster? (Or any other speedbooster for that matter?) or is a a physical / flange distance problem there?

Would be really keen to find out. Appreciate any input / thoughts on this

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

2 problems: 

1. You already mentioned it, flange distance is about the same between mirrorless mounts (E being the shortest) so nothing can be really inserted in between. 

2. Speed boosters have their own aperture which is smaller than any of these fast lenses so that places an upper bound on what you can achieve. 

Hey Don, thanks for getting back to me on this.

aha... I never considered that the physical aperture size of the metabones would have a limit as to how much light it could let in. Good to know.

I was also looking at Nikon and old Olympus Zuiko lenses, some of which have f1.2 offerings - do you know I were to adapt them to EF and use the metabones, would that run into the same problem?

Thanks

39 minutes ago, ThomHaig said:

Hey Don, thanks for getting back to me on this.

aha... I never considered that the physical aperture size of the metabones would have a limit as to how much light it could let in. Good to know.

I was also looking at Nikon and old Olympus Zuiko lenses, some of which have f1.2 offerings - do you know I were to adapt them to EF and use the metabones, would that run into the same problem?

Thanks

I've successfully used OM Zuiko manual lenses adapted to EF with the thin adapter, mounted via a Metabones XL EF to M4/3 on my GH4. They're rather lovely lenses. Have done it with the 28 2.8, 50 1.2 and a few third-party OM fit lenses.

Those mitakons probably are cheap lenses with a speedbooster built in.

Any lens for 35mm SLR cameras can be used on the speedbooster (just check that you can adapt them, for example, if you have a nikon speedbooster you can only use nikon glass, with a EF booster you can use canon, nikon, contax,etc but you cant use minolta or canon fd lenses,etc...)

1 minute ago, ThomHaig said:

thanks for that help, guys.

That's cool that you can use all those mounts on the EF adapter. Would any of you have any recommendations for either a fast 35mm or 50mm that holds up wide open and can be used on the EF metabones XL?

I would have reccomended Minolta 50/1.2 or 50/1.4 or even the Canon 50/1.2 FD but these are not adaptable to the EF mount :s

The Takumar 50/1.4 is a cheap option, but quite hazy wide open. The Nikon 50/1.4 AI-s and Yashika 50/1.4 (M42) seems to be good options for mounting on EF mount

thanks, if I was to get one super-fast manual lens, I'd rather a 35mm than a 50mm, but it seems like all the really big-aperture options are in the 50mm range.

15 minutes ago, mercer said:

Also the Nikkor 35mm f2 has a butt load of character and is tack sharp. 

cool - do you mean the older all-manual one, or the newer (but still old) 35mm AF-D?

11 minutes ago, ThomHaig said:

thanks, if I was to get one super-fast manual lens, I'd rather a 35mm than a 50mm, but it seems like all the really big-aperture options are in the 50mm range.

cool - do you mean the older all-manual one, or the newer (but still old) 35mm AF-D?

I've only used the ai-s version, but the non-ai and ai version should have a similar look. I have never used any of the modern 35mm Nikkor lenses. 

There's also an older Nikkor 35mm 1.4 that a lot of people like. I've never used one, but @Mattias Burling speaks highly of it and I think has showcased it a lot on his YouTube page. Obviously, it's pricier than the f/2 version, but one could probably be found somewhere between 3-500 USD. 

But you could also find a new Rokinon/Samyang around that price range as well. It won't have the build quality, nor longevity of the Nikkor though. 

If you want crazy fast... Handevision is finally selling at a price it should've been from the start: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1056300-REG/handevision_hvib4085m43_ibelux_40mm_f_0_85_lens.html . There's a reason for the pricecut, nobody really likes the hugely overpriced underwhelming lens... but maybe things get a little more interesting now that it's 499,- . Although... probably not.

bg4EV6T.png

SLR lenses get increasingly complex to design as they get wider - technically they are called retrofocus designs, as the focal length is greater than the distance from the film . Fast 50s are obviously easy, but fast wide-angles are always more of a challenge to design, which is why anything wider than 35mm, that is faster than f1.4 is significantly more expensive.

Fast mirrorless wide angles should be easier to design, though digital sensors can be tricky with rays hitting obliquely, so maybe there haven't been as many "rangefinder-style" small fast wide lenses as might have been expected.